I've been pondering death

And I figured, even if a heaven doesn’t exist, it doesn’t matter!

Even if we experience only nothingness after we’re gone, we wont have any conception of loss or gain or honor. We wont even have any conception of what conception is, or any conception of having a conception of what a conception is!

We’d be completely detached from anything corporeal, we probably wouldn’t even have a consciousness. There would be NO PAIN <i><u><b>WHATSOEVER!</b></u></i> Isn’t that fucking WONDERFUL?

Life is but a dream within a dream! I have no reason to fear death anymore. Hoo yah!

Good. Now go outside and shoot yourself, why dont you :smiley:

Sounds more like hell to me.

Not fearing isn’t the same as embracing :frowning:

So what you’re saying is…

You won’t care when I rape your dead body.

That IS fucking wonderful man!

If this message board were an RPG, Hades would be the final boss that turns into something with 4 arms, 4 wings, a bunch of massive rings, a really weird looking face, hair that’s made out of the hardest metal known to man, and last but not least, a tail that’s clutching the planet in a death grip. He’d claim that he wants to return RPGC to the “zero-existence, where there was no pain and no suffering”, and the heroes would make a big speech about how humans are flawed, but ultimately successful and positive beings.

Holy shit, that’s the coolest thing anyone’s ever said about me.

And Zepp, I’m looking forward to it.

Yes, there is nothing to fear about death… 'Cept for the pain that causes death… :thud:

Don’t think about death, get a life!! [and I mean that in a nice way] ^.^

Thats the stupidest thing i’ve ever heard

Wow you DO miss her don’t you? Stop thinking so much!

Yeah, dude! I, like, totally get what you mean! it fucking blows my mind!

Dude… my hands are , like, sooo huge. And look! Your cat’s flying! It’s like Supercat!

Damn, medicinal marijuana’a great.

Huh… So what if… err… hmm… ok ok ok, here I go.
So what if there is somthing other than heaven or hell after death? There’s other theories, like reincarnation, which I believe eventually leads to SOME sort of heaven, but still… Perhaps there IS nothing… if that is the case then we really should make the most of our time, cause when it ends, you have nothing. Perhaps you’ll have your memories, and for some that can be very depressing, but for others, if they were happy with thier lives, it could be bliss.

The way I see it…

Bang You’re dead. There’s no heaven. There’s no hell. There’s nothing. YOu’re dead. Nothing you did in life has no effect whatsoever in where you’ll end up into. You’re just DEAD. Okay, that’s about it.

So there’s the period of time you’re alive. And then there’s the other period in which you remain DEAD. Of course, how long you stay dead is sorta impossible to tell, since YOU’RE DEAD.

Done. Now, if people realized that, people’d be… more or less concerned about the afterlife. Meaning they either make a real racket or cherish what they have left. They’d realize you wouldn’t go somewhere after plunging down from a 30-story building.

I agree with Mabat about what happens. There’s nothing left after death, so you might as well make the best out of the life you’ve got. Sure, there’s a lot of hard parts I’d rather not have to face, but I have too much I want to do before I die, so I won’t let hardship bother me. And I won’t waste time dwelling on the past, because I simply have too many videogames to play!

Well, if there’s nothing after death, why are we able to remember being alive?

First- Curtis? Have you ever died? If so, did you remember being alive? Point is, you arent dead yet so of course you are going to remember things. I’m not sure what you are trying to get at unless you are assuming human’s minds exist in a place where time has no hold. And of course thats bullshit cause it would almost assume you think were already dead and what we do at this VERY minute is a memory. SO, that would also intern mean we have no choices because weve already made them, but if we already made them we would have HAD to have the choices at some point, that point is NOW. We arent dead, typing this isnt a memory, its in the now.

Mabat- The reason people get worked up and stuff over what happens is because at some point in history, people started talking… “Hmm, what happens when we die?”. This would be a great point in history for someone who wanted power… You get togather with some friends and make up an ideal place to go after dying then tack on some restrictions that you think people should abide by… Hmm, thats well and good, it make people do good things so they can go to the nice place right? OK, what about bad people… Well, naughty people go to a BAD place… We punish the wicked yes? OK, so now youve got somthing that COULD have been used to preach good ideas, but because of human-fuck-upness we turn it into controll by fear! Hurray for humans. So in this series of events you look at where bible sales are and where idiots are that are making a fortune selling bottled Jesus water to uneducated rednecks with no willpower. The problem is, death, the idea of death, anything revolving around the “afterlife” will inevitably lead to fear becaue people fear death. Of course, there is corruption in every fucking inch of our society, its our nature… And thus Religions are born into the world, raising in power, causing wars, and overall making people THINK they have somthing to hold onto, but in the end are just begging to find truth in a lie.

Way to go, “God”.

“First- Curtis? Have you ever died? If so, did you remember being alive? Point is, you arent dead yet so of course you are going to remember things. I’m not sure what you are trying to get at unless you are assuming human’s minds exist in a place where time has no hold. And of course thats bullshit cause it would almost assume you think were already dead and what we do at this VERY minute is a memory. SO, that would also intern mean we have no choices because weve already made them, but if we already made them we would have HAD to have the choices at some point, that point is NOW. We arent dead, typing this isnt a memory, its in the now.”

Well, look at it this way: We dream every night. (According to Science). Yet we only ‘remember’ our dreams some nights. When we remember our dreams, we experience our dreams. When we don’t, we don’t experience our dreams. Because we are experiencing life, that means we have to be remembering it from some point of higher consciousness. smokes his crack

Great Hades. Just great. A philosophical Discussion. I hope you’re proud. rolls eyes

Random note: the Mayas had a goddess for suicide. Her name was Ixtab.

While I don’t know if there actually is a heaven, believing in it gives a certain degree of hope to people. They think there’s a better place beyond death, and strive to reach it however possible. Whether or not this place even exist is irrelevant; they simply hope to reach this new place after they die.

The whole purpose of the afterlife is to give people hope, to tell them that everything doesn’t end the moment you die. There is some higher plane of existance, a place only obtainable after death. Of course, there are so many different ideas of what this afterlife is (heaven, hell, reincarnation, undead zombie, etc.). This means three possible things:

1. All forms of the afterlife exists, and it all depends on what you believe.
  2. Only one form of the afterlife exists, and all other forms are wrong.
  3. There is no afterlife.

If death is really the end of everything, then what is the end? Is it nothing more than an endless void? Is it a kind of subconcious, neverending dream? In any case, we really don’t know a goddamn thing of what happens after death.

(Sorry I wrote this. I was tired.)