IT Careers

Hi Guys,

As you guys may know, I’ve developed a passion for computers and hardware in particular. I’ve been wandering though… what are good career paths in this field? (say IT in general) What are good avenues to take on?.. I’m considering everything (money, learning curves, etc…)

I just want to hear from anyone’s past experiences!

Are you in college?

How old are you? What is your education level?

This website has all the information you need to know for achieving a career in IT.

http://tinyurl.com/6x889kv

looks fishy…

Yeah, in my final year.

21 and I’m in my final year of completing an undergraduate degree in design. However I’m just curious about any really good possible opportunities in IT!

I’m not surprised that you missed my point… xD

You missed my point.

IT is a huge field with many things you can do in it. You might not be able to experience it all in one lifetime.

What do you see yourself doing in the next few years? You say you like hardware, so would you work with tech support? Or do you see yourself selling electronic parts?

What technologies are you familiar with? And what’s the greatest thing you’ve achieved with computers? There things might give you a few hints about which path to choose.

So hard that I want to shoot him with it.

Tech support was kind of what I was looking towards! Not much retail… I’m familiar with the general computer hardware components, I also have fairly decent knowledge in video cards (I big interest of mine) …but the circuit construction and engineering side of it, intimidates me! ^^

If it were right for you, I think it would fascinate you instead.

You need a degree in computer science to work in the Geek Squad at Best Buy. So being “familiar with the general computer hardware components” sounds like you are not qualified.

I was saying the circuitry and engineering side of IT specifically… I have no intention of going there.

I know I’m not qualified… I’m trying to find a good career path so I can start working towards a decent occupation!

You almost have a degree. what did you want to use that degree for? I don’t even know what design is. like interior design? what the fuck is design? graphic design? explain. you should have been getting a degree in the field you want to work in.

For god’s sake Charle… not everyone follows one path through their entire life! We all consider changing our mind at one point or another. Despite the fact that I’ve almost finished a degree in a different field doesn’t mean that I’m gonna ditch it and start up an IT business tomorrow! As mentioned before, I’ve developed a passion for IT over the past 2 years, so I’m looking at whether their any good careers that lie down this path, so I can decide what I should next. The thing about design is I can always freelance it, I don’t have to be in it full-time!

Sorry I don’t have my future all structured and laid out in front of you… cause if i did, I wouldn’t have made this thread in the first place! Now could you please answer the thread topic and stop analyzing me as if I were an essay topic!

Have you considered starting your own IT business? With tech support especially if you want to start something local you could do very well provided you have an internship or part time position to give yourself some experience.

A degree in what kind of design?

Sounds like you’re going to have to start from scratch unless you want just an entry-level tech support kind of job, or maybe start a tech support business of your own.

Most of the interesting or high-paying jobs, like programming architecture, IT consulting, or computer engineering, (unsurprisingly) require some kind of higher education related to the field.

Basically it sounds like you went to college, got a useless degree on a whim because you didn’t know what to do and now you find yourself in the scenario where you’re finally graduating.

You have no choice but to face the fact you don’t know what you want to do and are unqualified in what even seems remotely interesting.

Your problem is the same as it has always been: you’re approaching all of this backwards. You don’t go to college and THEN figure out what you’re going to do. You go to college to acquire the means to get the job you want.

You’re in for a rough ride through life, dude. You need to learn to plan ahead. What do you want and what do you need to get there? Its that simple.

I just noticed your other post, and you didn’t answer Charle’s question. What kind of design do you have a degree in? I’m guessing web design, since you seem to be into computers? And even if this cultivated interest in IT was over the last two years, why didn’t you change majors or minor in computer science? You would have been (correct me if I’m wrong) a junior or at the end of sophomore year. Most universities would you change your major by that point.