Israel Accepts US-Backed Peace Plan

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20030525/D7R8J6IG0.html

we’ll see how things go. I’m pretty skeptical about how everything’ll work out.

I doubt it will work, but at least they keep trying.

At least it is better than nothing…

Now it remains to see if words are put into action or not.

I have a feeling extremists will strand this attempt of peace as well. Wouldn’t be new.

There have been too many peace plans already. We just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Though, there’s cause for hope in the fact that the Palestinian people turned on the militants after those three suicide bombings a few weeks ago.

It doesn’t seem to be the most feasible plan, but at least they’re trying, as said.

Originally posted by Curtis
[b]There have been too many peace plans already. We just have to wait and see.

EDIT: Though, there’s cause for hope in the fact that the Palestinian people turned on the militants after those three suicide bombings a few weeks ago. [/b]

Which is hopeful, because though we keep kidding ourselves, Palestinian terrorists will continue to operate freely until they are stopped by their own people. Neither the U.S. nor Israel can do it for them; they have to clean up their own act.

And the problem with peace plans is that the incidents of terror in Israel increase every time Israel begins to talk peace, and increase proportionately with the generousness of the deal offered.

Well, that’s not entirely true, but “incidents” in general do happen whenever someone offers a peace deal. Bush is pushing this because he desires to secure some Arab support after the wanton, unprovoked, unjustified destruction he caused in Iraq, and he thinks that supporting Palestinian statehood will get him that support. Regardless of that, it is good that he is doing something. Now, we have to wait to see what will actually happen.

The reason that it’s hopeful that the Palestinians are turning on the militants is because it means that what Israel is offering them is acceptable to them. Arafat incited the intifidah of November 2000, and the Palestinian people supported it, because what Israel was offering wasn’t much. Sure, on paper it looked good, but the truth was that there were a bunch of things tacked onto it that would still give Israel a lot of military control over the West Bank. They didn’t want that peace plan. But so far all signs indicate that they do think this new ‘roadmap to peace’ is treating them fairly, and that could make this plan, unlike previous ones, actually succeed.

The road plan as is will never succeed, unfortunately. That’s because it completely gives a miss to the whole “right of return” and Jerusalem issues, which are the two things that Abbas and Sharon completely disagree about. The plan basically says that those issues will be discussed later sometime. So halfway through the plan we’ll realize that it was a no-go from the start. Israel has still not agreed to the road plan without a few significant modifications, and the others (including the US) haven’t really listened to them about that. I’ll agree that it’s a step in the right direction, but without changes (and one of the things that the Quartet has been trumpeting is that there will be no changes) it simply won’t do the job.

‘Right of return’ at this point is unworkable. It shouldn’t be an issue. At best maybe there can be some kind of payout to the refugees but even trying to do that would be messy.

Jerusalem… yeah, I can’t see any solution there that would satisfy both sides.

If this falls through, my opinion is that the Palestinians will eventually be driven out of the West Bank. They have to accept this peace plan…

Jesus fucking christ, that was quick

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,964152,00.html

Sorta makes you wonder if he considered it at all.