Is Zelda a RPG?

Do you think Zelda can be called a ‘role-playing game’? even if it is an ‘Action-RPG’? or is it just an ‘adventure’ game?

Yes it is.

Wow, a Zelda thread I didn’t start.

I’m going to say “yes”, although if someone asked “what kind of game is Zelda?” I would reply “action/adventure.”

The reason I said yes is because Zelda has a long, wonderful storyline, magic, basic attacks, special attacks, you can, at times, play as other characters, etc. These are things I think of when I think of an RPG.

However, if the sole factor in deciding if Zelda is an RPG or not is the type of menu used in a battle (where it desplays things like “You encountered a Zombie!” and you choose things from a list) is similar to other RPGs, I’d agree in saying no.

Summed up I would say, Zelda battles are unlike standard RPG battles, but that is the only characteristic that seperates Zelda from “normal” RPGs.

I’ve only played the first NES and SNES games, plus Link’s Awakening enough to judge them, and the second game is the only one I would consider to be an RPG. The other games lack levels and statistics, one of the primary things I associate with the genre.

Bing, it seems to me, is thinking more of the N64 games and perhaps the other gameboy ones, I’m not sure, so they might contain elements closer to an RPG that I’m not familiar with, but the earlier games lacked plot depth (Retrieve the Triforce! Rescue Zelda! Defeat Ganon!) and while there were various items that allowed you to use different attacks, a number of non-RPGs do this as well. I have no idea which games let you play as someone other than Link.

It’s a bit unfair to ask if the series is qualifiable as an RPG since it has evolved so much from the original game.

No, action advanture.

But I don’t mind if someone considers it as rpg, because in my opinion most action advantures are some kind of rpg.

You could almost say that there are two kinds of rpg: the real rpgs and the action advantures/ action rpgs.

Well RPG means Role-Playing-Game, and Role-Play means to role play a character or something, and in Zelda you don’t really do that, the most you do is choose yes or no.

Though these days the word RPG has a new meaning: Any game that has swords/magic/cids which is completely wrong but games companies still disagree. Anyway, it’s labelled RPG so whatever.

NPC: Go kill Ganon.
Link: OK.

It’s an RPG.

It’s an action rpg. So it’s an rpg.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
[b]Well RPG means Role-Playing-Game, and Role-Play means to role play a character or something, and in Zelda you don’t really do that, the most you do is choose yes or no.

Though these days the word RPG has a new meaning: Any game that has swords/magic/cids which is completely wrong but games companies still disagree. Anyway, it’s labelled RPG so whatever. [/b]

It’s labelled Adventure game, check Nintendo’s official site. And Parasite Eve is an A-RPG, although it hasn’t got swords/magic/dragon dudes…

I personally don’t consider Zelda a RPG, since it hasn’t any numeric characteristics (beside the bucks and the arrows).

I consider it a Acton/Adventure RPG.
=P

Its “an” RPG. The word “an” is used for when the next word begins with a vowel SOUND- not necessarily just a vowel.

The “R” in RPG is pronounced “are,” so it is “an.” I wouldn’t say this, but it seems that you are trying to “correct” people when they are saying the correct thing.

Also- who gives a shit if Zelda is an RPG or a fucking bowling game? If it’s fun, play it.

Also- who gives a shit if Zelda is an RPG or a fucking bowling game? If it’s fun, play it.
LoL, true true.

I got the feeling he was trying to say “Zelda shouldnn’t be here: it’s not an RPG”, but I could be wrong. Either way, Zelda’s welcome here, I know.

Originally posted by FATE
It’s labelled Adventure game, check Nintendo’s official site. And Parasite Eve is an A-RPG, although it hasn’t got swords/magic/dragon dudes…
I think he was just lazy not wanting to spell out action or adventure.

Yeah, A-RPG is short for Action RPG.

Nope.

Originally posted by Bing
I got the feeling he was trying to say “Zelda shouldnn’t be here: it’s not an RPG”, but I could be wrong. Either way, Zelda’s welcome here, I know.

And yet we’re debating whether Zelda is an RPG, not say… River City Ransom or Star Fox Adventures. =p

Or any of the Harvest Moon games.

Originally posted by FATE

Yeah but I said anything with swords and magic is usually called an RPG, then still Fallout is an RPG and I don’t think it has Swords and magic, yet the Hobbit is called an RPG since it clearly aint.

Its almost just an adventure game, I mean its no where near being close to a real RPG like Baldurs Gate 2. But it does have some aspects that would make me class it as an RPG.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
Or any of the Harvest Moon games.

Harvest Moon is a sim.

Well… SFA is an adventure game, and RCR is quite obviously a beat-em-up, yet we have shrines on them.

Oh well, information is information whether or not it’s “supposed” to be here.