Intruments

Are you kidding me? I look at electric guitars all the time at two or three nearby stores. Ignoring style, electrics are a hell of a lot easier to play because the strings are so horribly easy to fret. They’re easier than classical guitars. It’s like fretting silk. People have asked to play my steel string the few times I’ve brought it places with me. They were all electric guitarists, they couldn’t even pull off a B chord.

And one time, I heard someone complain about playing an electric with his fingers, saying the strings were too sharp and rough. I laughed for like, 20 minutes. I fingerpick a steel string. HahahawhoaaaaaaaaaAAAHHHRRHH!!!

And 12 stringers are pretty much identical to six stringers, from what I’ve played with them. They just sound cool, like you’re playing 2 guitars. It’s awesome.

And it’s funny how in the past year I’ve probably had more guitaring experience than you’ve had in your life, Steve. Not that I have to prove it to you, but thinking electrics are anywhere near as hard to play as a steel string acoustic is really the mark of a novice. Not only are the strings thicker, but they’re made of steel and the action is like 3 times as high. And on top of that the bodies are like 3 times as thick :stuck_out_tongue: I could barely HOLD one when I started.

A cool guitar is the one that you can see in the live version of Bon Jovi Wanted Dead or Alive on WinAmp. Man, I wish I had kept up guitar.

That is one hell of a fucking awesome song.

Yeah, but the guitar the guitarist plays at the start is two guitars, one on top of the other, only not exactly like that 'cause they’re on the same thing. Watch it and you’ll see what I mean.
And yeah, the song is fucking awesome.

No, I know what you mean :stuck_out_tongue: It’s like what the guy on the Totstitos commercial has :stuck_out_tongue: If that’s what they meant by a 12 string electric then yeah it’s harder.

He would have to have one like that though. The intro to Wanted is in like, the 20s :stuck_out_tongue: It would be hard and sound terrible unless he played it on a higher tuned guitar.

Edit: Never mind forget this.

Hades, don’t make assumptions, you just look more like an ass than you already are ;D

I’m not claiming to be some guitar guru, but I’ve had damn near 2 years of experience, including playing a few shows with my band, with both acoustic and electric guitars. I may not have taken lessons, but I doubt you’ve got more experience than I do.
I know acoustics are harder to play, I never said they weren’t. Electric is MUCH fucking easier to fret.

Then what were you implying that I “didn’t know”? If you agree with me then don’t say stupid shit like that.

I was implying that you may or may not be right.
I’ve played many different acoustic guitars, some are much easier to fret, others much harder. It all depends on which acoustic is being compared with which electric.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying the electric is down right easy to play, because there are difficult techniques that, while not necesary to learn, sound pretty cool. Like sweeping, mostly. Finger tapping is really easy, once you get a good sense of rhythm, and hammer-ons/pull-offs is pretty simple too. And then there’s also the challenge of making something that sounds pleasing to the ears.

I’ve played the Trombone since 5th grade… Not sure if I’ll keep playing for long though. : \

I am not a very musical person. I used to be able to play some piano and recorder many years ago, but I eventually gave up out of lack of real interest. Today, my only real instrument is my voice: I can sing fairly well, although I am better at speaking, reciting, and acting than singing. I also own an ocarina which I bought at Pike Place market when I was visiting Seattle about two years ago, but I can only play a few simple melodies on it.

I should love to learn the lute one day if I have the time, although that would involve learning guitar first.

Well, when I was in the 6th grade they did the order that people came in to determine their instrument backwards. So I was one of the last people to go in I believe since my last name starts with E.

What basically followed was, tell the teacher what you were interested in, whatever you made the loudest noise on, you played. I wanted to play the saxophone since I’m into jazz and wanted to impress my Dad since he likes it too. So, this one kid says that I should try the tuba, and I do, and suddenly that’s what I’m playing.

For the next year and a half I believe, I had to sit on a phonebook covered with masking tape just to reach the mouthpiece on the thing…ugh. Strangely enough, the instrument started to grow on me despite what a bother it is to try to reach it when I’m attempting to play it. Maybe if I didn’t just play basically the same beat in every song I would’ve stayed in the band, my gosh, give the low brass a melody for once!

you never fail to amaze me with your epic levels of pretentiousness, hades. not to mention that the things you mentioned like action and string gauge are adjustable, most novice electric players never crossing the .09 threshold. if youre looking for difficulty, youre in the wrong business. try taking up the oboe.

.09 on an Electric? You are joking, right? .15 on an electric is easier to play than .10 on a steel string, and I’d consider that low. The place I go to doesn’t even sell less than .10. Guage barely matters anyway though. Electric guitar strings are lighter than classical strings because they’re made of what feels like SILK.

And action is adjustable, but it’s almost a requirement that steel string guitars need higher action. It minimizes fret buzz, something that electric guitarists barely need to give a damn about because everything they do uses distortion anyway.

Toss theory at me all you want. My point still stands that playing an electric guitar is more like masturbating than playing a challenging instrument. SILKKYYYY :smiley: :smiley: :D~

Playing an acoustic steel string isn’t that much more difficult than playing an electric. At least for me anyway.

I’m a singer, but since you want instruments: I used to play Drums for a few years back when I was like 11, but since I left the school and couldn’t afford a drum kit, that kinda went out the window. Right now though I’m trying to learn acoustic. Really should try and put some effort into it.

What? silk? guitar strings are either steel or nylon.

The silk comment was a simile. I know they’re not silk. But they’re definately not steel. They’re some kind of lighter metal.

I believe Nickel is the metal you’re looking for, Hades. I know this because my electric has Nickel strings