Internet Phone Service

Check this out. Now this is cool, created by the same people to bring you KaZaA (go figure) has created a program that will allow people to make almost realtime phone calls using the internet, even on very slow dial-up connection. I find this extremly interesting, as if a program such as this really caught the attention of the general public, it could effectivly destroy any and all phone companies. Think of it, everyone would switch to broadband as there would be no need for an obsolete phone line and a huge monthly phone bill when you could just make phone calls over the internet.

Well, that’s what I wish would happen anyway. Either way, it’s a great concept and I hope it gets noticed by a huge amount of people. Now just if my headset wasn’t busted…

Cool.

I don’t see it raining cats and dogs yet though, so I’ll wait till I know a little more about it. And the technology already exists and is free, I think we will end up with a status quo.

I’ll probably end up having my telephone provided by my isp pretty soon anyway. Ip telephones are cool.

© THE SKYPE SOFTWARE IS UTILIZED AND DISTRIBUTED BY THIRD PARTIES WHICH ARE UNRELATED TO SKYPER. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT INSTALLATION OF THE SKYPE SOFTWARE WILL ALLOW THIRD PARTIES WHO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH SKYPER THE ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR COMPUTER (“OUTSIDE PARTIES”). YOU AGREE THAT SKYPER WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE, CLAIM OR LOSS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES AS STATED IN PARAGRAPH 9(a) ABOVE, RESULTING FROM ANY ACTIONS OR OMISSIONS OF THE OUTSIDE PARTIES.

Yeah, I noticed that. I believe there’s an option to block all calls except from people in your list. If not, then it’s just another sucky program.

Edit: Yeah, it does, you can block people not on your list, which is a very good, good thing.

I downloaded it, but am i little wary of using it…i mean, i dont really trust the kazaa guys, but hey, free long distance rocks…

EDIT-Now to convince my friends to get this…

How does it work? With a microphone?

Yeah, with a microphone and speakers/headphones (I’d prefer headphones, just for privacy sake). And from the look of their little shop, there are phone hand sets that could plug unto your computer. It’s be really cool if it could be wireless, with a button on the phone to recieve calls, that way the phone wouldn’t have to be near the computer if you didn’t want it to be.

Because afterall, everyone wants a 2 gHz frequency wave right connected to their computer.

Someone call me so i can try this…