Intelligent Design

Well, after having been raised Roman Catholic, in my teens I began to read more and more scientific literature and comparing that to what I had previously learned, I discarded a belief in religion and creationism for an understanding of reality - imperfect, a work in progress, but undeniably more accurate. I can’t supply you with a grand list of resources I’ve read concerning evolution, but it ranges from the usual fair you’ll find in <i>Scientific American</i> to biographies on Charles Darwin (and Wallace), evaluations of his work and how he arrived at the idea of natural selection (I had a particularly good history professor specializing in science for an overview class focusing around Darwin), to more cultural phenomenon like the Scopes trial and the recent judge’s opinion from Dover. I have not read much source material from the IDer’s side, instead seeking summaries of their work from ID proponents and opponents (skipping the fluff, getting to the meat of the arguments). I could be a little more well-read on the topic, but that goes for almost all topics.

From what you’ve said so far, to me it seems like your belief in ID revolves around the idea that intelligence necessarily needed designer to develop. Could you please expand on that for me a little, because I’m puzzled how the brain was harder for natural processes to pump out than it was for the first mammals to give rise to the form of man. If I’m in error in focusing in on intelligence as the sole sticking point, please point that out to me as well.

(On a side note, that’s an incredibly subjective definition of freedom there)

Okay first at least you did honest research before jumping ship. I applaud you for that. I really do.

Yes, I believe that intelligence must come from a designer, for intelligence is one of the more perfect traits of existence. All animals posse it, all life has it, including trees, and such. I find it hard that we all simply by instinct gained intellegence, or by curiostity such as eating meat and fish for the first time. Something or someone had to be the basis of this thing, intelligence did not simply appear out of no where. Nor could it have been by a chance encounter if you parden the phrase.

Now keep in mind that because I say that intelligence, and goodness come from God, it is an insult to the intelligent of genius like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, or even for that matter Darwin. But like my domino theory, intelligence and for that matter goodness must come from somewhere. There must be a natural law. If that is the case, there must have been some intellect, that wrote that law. For example, we all know rape is wrong, but why? Who said so from the beginning? Because it’s chaotic? Okay, then if order is considered a chaotic state of some level, then shouldn’t our exisitence be wrong? Keep in mind I am not condoning nore lessing the extreme of the crime of rape. It is WRONG. But who said so,

It’s wrong to attack a person for no reason, we can all agree on that, but if we were animals or animal like before we came to our present state, and they attacked one another, how more or less is that wrong for them than us? As we “evolve” we gain more laws? I don’t think so.

(On the same side note, it is not a subjective defintion. Doing whatever you want is liscene, according to the dictionary, "a liberty of action, esp. excessive; abuse of freedom
Freedom is being able to do what you should do, following natural law, helping better humanity, without being pushed into hidding. Yes the Church’s leaders has from time to time abused its power, and clamped down on freedom, but so have atheitic, powers, both governments and scientists who hold power, that’s just human.)

Sorry for taking this thread a little of the rails Weiila, I didn’t really want to get into too much of a scientific religious debate. Though I am enjoying this, it is enlightening ^^. Hope none of the rest of you are too miffed.

I really have to hear your definition of intelligence before we go farther. Rarely have I heard of trees being credited with intelligence, outside from a few accounts of animists and other early 20th century types of their ilk.

We know rape and murder is wrong because society tells us that.

Anyways, it’s more like UNintelligent design. Humans are NOT perfect, that’s why we all have an appendix and other useless shit!

Society also once told us that black people are inferior to whites. Just sayin’.

Very good point.

As to unintelligent design, well not much we can say there, science has to work out why we have the things it does not appear like what we have.

I’ll go into further my definition of intelligence another day as it is late. We do know that flowers will move and bend themselves toward the light of their own accord, so there is some intelligence in that.

Taking the definition from m-w 1 : the quality or state of being free: as a : the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action

Serving the common good etc. is a matter of moral or social constraints, ultimately personal (or what have you) responsibility. Not having the choice to act in a bad way is restrained freedom, i.e. no freedom at all. Freedom will entails an apple in the paradise.

The “excessive” in the definition is the subjective part.

[QUOTE=]If that is the case, there must have been some intellect, that wrote that law. For example, we all know rape is wrong, but why? Who said so from the beginning?
[/QUOTE]

It is a violation of someone’s will as well as traumatising. Observation works here without having to turn to some higher authority.

[QUOTE=]As we “evolve” we gain more laws? I don’t think so.
[/QUOTE]

We take divorce from some of our instincts. With new developments, new regulations are required.

Woah, wait. Plants with intelligence? Based on your flower example above, I’d like to point to instinct rather than intelligence in its movement. It’s hard to say this without making the plant look like it’s choosing it, but the plant moves towards the light because it will improve its chance of survival and reproduction. It’s something akin to you getting punched in the stomach and then doubling over; you instinctively cover your exposed area while moving away from the pain. It’s not a conscious decision, with no thought involved. Lots of animals can do this.

As you might have gathered, I’m not in the Creationism/ID camp. I’m not even in the religion camp, so that might help (being an atheist, yea). My biggest issue with a god designing and causing everything is that the world - and specifically, humans - aren’t perfect. Why would there be winter if god’s most beloved creation - man - couldn’t naturally survive in it? Why is man, without technology and/or civilization, not the most able to survive in nature?

And then there are just things wrong with the human body. The appendix? What purpose does that serve? Or why are our eyes screwed up? We’re so incredibly fragile (and messed up) that it’s hard to believe that we were made in the image of an eternal and perfect being.

People always cite those two facts about the human body as evidence that God didn’t have a hand in its creation. Two points:

1. Just because we don’t understand something doesn’t mean it has no point. Currently we understand approximately 0.02% of DNA; the rest of it is largely called “junk DNA” by scientists, even though if you take it away it stops working. (Sinistral will probably correct me here, but that’s what my bioinformatics teacher told me.)

2. Assuming God exists, he most probably created us flawed, for the same reason he created humans and not just angels. If we were all perfect, we would have no space to grow, which is the advantage humans have over angels. Just because God is perfect doesn’t mean that everything he creates is perfect. Everything has a role to play, and we’re not going to be able to guess what our role particularly is - but it’s not perfection.

Well done! I want to also point out that human bodies were not created in the image of God, it was our souls that were created in His image.

Intelligence is having the ability to rational thought, to observe, to learn, to mature and adapt in all things. True, plant’s movement is because of instinct, I made a boo boo there. Lower animals do not have this extreme of intellect and reasoning that we have, Humans are the only animal species that have this, so I ask you why is this? By chance? I doubt it. That is too chaotic, too pessimistic.

Religion brings us hope, optimism. Evolution brings us ego, and slowly depression. I’ve seen many religious who are sad, depressed, and feel hopeless, yes, but many more who do not have it, that do not have it who are even more depressed, angry, bitter, confused, etc.

I’d like to say that from my skimming of Ziggy’s arguments, namely the one about the intelligent plant, it seems (s)he is arguing more on a basis of universal sentience or universal intelligence than on intelligent design, which may be lead to some confusion. He is arguing about the intelligence of the things which have been designed, not the intelligence that went into the process of their design, as far as I can tell.

Also, I agree largely with Cidolfas on the idea that evolution and creationism aren’t mutually exlusive. God created a whole bunch of shit intentionally imperfect and watched it grow and improve. Woo-ooh. Not a big logical step to see that these could both be present. Also, useless doesn’t mean useless, really. Some things, like Wisdom Teeth, are pretty much useless, but are also largely being evolved out of humans; these changes don’t happen automatically, while some thigns may have a point we haven’t yet seen.

As for intelligent design, it is scientific bullshit, but still a debatable and viable idealogic concept. Much in the way a debate over what heaven is like could have no scientific backing, but still make for a marvelous philosphy debate.

I guess people are rather vexed at ID wanting to supplant the tuition of a well documented theory in schools rather than at ID as a philosophic concept.

So your argument basically boils down to “I cannot comprehend it, therefore God.” This is a line of thought that springs up in altered forms across the millenia, and each time empircal knowledge is found to challenge it, it must retreat from its current incarnation to find respite in a new haven safely opaque (for the time being) to the encroaching science. I believe this is referred to as the God of the Gaps argument, where God can only exist in areas of ignorance. It comes up quite well in discussions of the fossil evidence used to track evolutions changes over millions of years. Evolution’s critics will point to a gap in the record between forms (between man and ape, for example), and say that since science can’t show what happened between the two, some type of force acted to bring about the newer form. In the ape to man case, every time someone digs up one of the transitional bipeds, the gap gets smaller but the critics still seek to exploit it, even though its clear that by extrapolating from what we do have the remaining fossils are out there to be found, somewhere, if the years haven’t destroyed them.

The human capacity for rational action has its precedents in the brains of older organisms. That’s all there is to it. It’s no more difficult a change from bacteria’s physical form to that of a cow as it is from a snail’s brain to ours - all it takes is time, and life on Earth’s has had that in spades, minus the occasional rampaging asteroid. If you want to know all the evidence we think we have for the evolution of the brain, either I’m going to have to do some research to present sources to you or I’m going to have to call Dr. Sin into the debate, and trust me, you don’t want him here. He EATS PEOPLE. Or something. But seriously, the literature that explains this stuff is out there, freely available. Eventually the little gaps God’s allowed to exist in will be filled one by one until he’s finally entombed along with those of his followers too reticent to give up this kind of old intellectual luggage.

The type of emotion consideration of either religion or evolution brings to a person is unrelated as to whether one or the other reflects reality. Claiming that religion is needed because it either makes us feel good, binds us together as a society, or commands us to stop raping things, is a utilitarian argument that fails to comment on whether the knowledge offered is true or not. Consider that the worship of the old Greek/Roman pantheons bound together those societies quite well for a time, despite being quite the load of horseshit.

<small>(On another side note, I always feel a little bad doing these kinds of threads on RPGC because I fear I might alienate Cidolfas, who’s always been a stand-up personality around here and seems an alltogether decent sort.)</small>

No that is not what my argument is about. I comprehend what evolutionists say, and while interesting, I disagree with their theories (yes theories) as even among the evolutionists there is dispute about which theory is correct.

Also I mean to argue on the basis of both the intelligence of the things designed as well as the designer.

Rogue I would like to ask about rational action, are you saying this is just part of our species experience from living so long? If that is the case, why haven’t any other animal species developed the same type of institution? Why is it that only human’s have this?

Family is the corner stone, and foundation of governments, rational thinking and morals have brought families together. Now animals do have family units, and do have organized groups, but nothing to the extent of the human species, why is this?

I have nothing against evolutionists, though I strongly disagree with them, “What Got Banged, and Who did the banging?” So to speak if there was absoultely nothing in the beginning? Or was there always something there, and time truly has no end?

Philosphy will always be around, even if religion, coughcough yeah righ cough* were to disappear. Evolutionary thought is a philosphy, and some would argue a modern day “religious” thought. Such is humanity, it can’t be helped.

I will say this much, I want to apologize for being so scatterbrained, It’s been a while since I’ve really debated much. Hopefully I’ll get back to my old self if the thread continues.

I don’t believe you quite get the point of all this. Just because a scientific rule exists does not preclude God existing. Let’s take something unbelievably simple: Newton’s Laws. Number two: For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. That’s nice and fine. Now: why? Why is reality such that every action gives an equal an opposite reaction? Why do heavy bodies attract one another via gravity? Why do living creatures evolve? Science can’t come up with an answer to that because science is all about the how, not the why - that’s religion’s purview. Essentially, if you exchange the word “nature” for “God” in many of these scientific articles, you’ll find something quite shocking.

Proving that God exists is not what any of us try to do, I think. I believe that God exists, and what I want to do is try and shape my understanding of the world around that belief. There will always be things humans do not understand; to believe otherwise is to believe that humans have the capacity to be infinite, which they don’t IMO. Therefore there will always be something that “allows God in”.

Even if humans think they understand everything, we always discover new things which indicate that what we thought earlier was wrong. In ancient times we knew that there were four (or five) elements that made up everything. Then we knew that there was a magical liquid that flowed from one substance to another which induced heat. But we keep proving ourselves wrong. The “truthfulness” of science is every bit as suspect as the “truthfulness” of God, whatever that means.

And by the by, I don’t believe it’s possible to prove that God doesn’t exist, because we can always say that whatever you’re using as proof was created that way. The world is billions of years old? God created it that way. There are skeletons between humans and apes? God created them too. It certainly doesn’t prove that God does exist, but proving he doesn’t is impossible, I think.

(On another side note, I always feel a little bad doing these kinds of threads on RPGC because I fear I might alienate Cidolfas, who’s always been a stand-up personality around here and seems an alltogether decent sort.)

Don’t worry. I’m secure enough in my beliefs that a few well-placed arguments aren’t going to topple them. Judaism has the advantage of being a religion where questions are encouraged, not suppressed. :sunglasses:

The whole point of the school of <i>science</i> is to come up with explanations based on observations and empirical data. Being <i>tentative</i> is, in my opinion, one of the best things about it. It can always be wrong, and thus there is always room for improvement, for progress.

Ah yes, and also, it <i>works</i>.

The problem with ID is that it’s specifically trying to cross the how/why line - and it does this by asserting the existence of a God who at some point directly affects the mechanics of the universe. How a thing happens exists entirely independent of human consideration - we just describe it with varying degrees of accuracy. I find “why” to be a bit of a dodgy question. It sounds merely like a way of trying to get around asking “how” in the first place. It assumes, in the first place, that there is a reason independent of natural causes that something happens. Q: “Why did all the dinosaurs die ?” A: “Because you touch yourself.” (Family Guy) rather than Q: “How did all the dinosaurs die?” A: “A comet/asteroid hit the Earth, which upset the global climate to such an extent that the local biology couldn’t handle it.” It’s a loaded question.

I’m aware of that infuriating bit about not being able to prove a negative. It’s annoying. I could just say, though, that any one of you is merely a figment of my imagination, and any evidence of your existence another person brings to me is just another dreamed-up falsehood. People who are actually qualified to throw this question around have handled it better than I could possibly do so here, though. Suffice to say, at some level of evidence we accept that some things aren’t true even though we can’t prove it to be so - the tooth fairy, magic, free lunches (the latter which also exist perfectly well in theory, but never seem to incarnate into the realm of mundane reality).

Rogue I would like to ask about rational action, are you saying this is just part of our species experience from living so long? If that is the case, why haven’t any other animal species developed the same type of institution? Why is it that only human’s have this?

Yes, rational action, born of an intelligence whose foundation lies in the physical architecture of our brains, is nothing more than the result of god-knows-how-many ages of evolution. Human intelligence is not the be-all-end-all of cognition, and there probably will be something better at it in the future. Other animal specials fill other niches that humans and their predecessors did not and could not. We can’t run as fast as cheetahs, we can’t trace scents like a wolf, and we certainly can’t swim like a dolphin. They ended up better at those things, which enabled them to survive in ways that our ancestor’s could not. Intelligence can be explained away as nothing more than a happy accident, like all other successful evolutionary forms.

Family is the corner stone, and foundation of governments, rational thinking and morals have brought families together. Now animals do have family units, and do have organized groups, but nothing to the extent of the human species, why is this?

Biology engendered the family unit, not rational thinking or morals, which are purely intellectual and weren’t possible for the first creatures (whatever they were) that cared for their young. Your argument here doesn’t particularly deserve much attention, since nature contains many examples of organisms who act according to established hiearchies - insects (ants, bees), birds (I was mowing the lawn at my grandmother’s the other day, and it looks like the parents were kicking the kids out. There were baby birds bouncing around EVERYWHERE! So cute…), and mammals - herds are one type of social behavior. Rather than setting humans apart from other animals and asking why they’re not more like us, if you look at how our own behavior reflects aspects of the animal world you get a better sense of how we really fit into it.

I have nothing against evolutionists, though I strongly disagree with them, “What Got Banged, and Who did the banging?” So to speak if there was absoultely nothing in the beginning? Or was there always something there, and time truly has no end?

Current knowledge gets us to certain points that no one’s quite figured out yet. From some type of dense…thing…that expanded started with the Big Bang (so yes, I suppose evolution does depend on different Bangs at different points), we get a universe where the conversion of certain chemicals into others in the early atmosphere of prehistoric Earth presents an entirely plausible scenario for the start of life without supernatural intervention (though evolution has much better support than the “primordial ooze + lightning = life” experiments in a flask from back in the 50s). Not to say we know everything. I don’t think anyone’s quite figured out black holes, though we’ve figured out some. I haven’t heard any solid suggestions for what was what before the Big Bang that enable the later billion-year orgy of banging that resulted in modern man.

Philosphy will always be around, even if religion, coughcough yeah righ cough* were to disappear. Evolutionary thought is a philosphy, and some would argue a modern day “religious” thought. Such is humanity, it can’t be helped.

We need to keep the ideas of evolution as a theory separate from the various theories-of-everything cranks of all sorts have used it to support over the years - like racial purity or genetic cleansing or all that other unsavory stuff. Evolution in itself is not a philosophy. It’s a description.

<small><i>Edited for typographical erros.</i></small>

I didn’t catch this quote earlier, but there are two things wrong with it:

First of all, <i>evolution</i> does not tote a theory for the creation of the universe. Leave that to astrophysicists who can come up with some kind of tangible support for a big-bang argument, or what have you. You’re disagreeing with the wrong people for the wrong things.

Second, evolutionary biology (<i>different</i> from universe origin theories; people always seem to think that one necessarily implies the other) is a theory - meaning that you can disagree with them, even provide evidence to the contrary and make a good point, but you can’t simply say “this isn’t the best explanation” and not point to a better one. Ignoring the mounds of evidence supporting it and it being the basis of many important fields of study today isn’t very credibly if you’ve got no horn to toot yourself.

Evolution is the way. Religion (or lack thereof) is the reason. No incompatibility there if everything stays in its place.

I completely disagree with Rogue about intellect being a happy coincidence. That’s one of the main problems I have with evolution, it leaves too much to chance, too much coiincidience. Religion has more answers after you study their doctrines. If Rogue wants to believe in evolution, that’s fine with me, I don’t mind. I prefer my research in faith and religion.

Cidolfas, I want to commend you, you’re doing a much better job on this debate than me, ^^ Lol! I agree with everything you have said so far!