Indian food appreciation thread

It’s no good, something has to be said. On today’s gamefaqs poll of the day it says ‘what is your favourite fast food’ and the top selection is ‘Asian (Chinese/Japanese)’.

That’s funny because my favourite fast food is Asian but it isn’t Japanese and it sure as hell isn’t Chinese- it’s Indian. The land of Gandhi, Bollywood, 1.2 billion people and the magnificent dish that is the curry.

Admittedly most Indian dishes nowadays are of western origin (Balti etc) but a real Indian dish from a real Indian restaurant might just be the most magnificent thing your mouth will ever experience, even if it will take 2 or 3 days to recover from it.

So here’s to India and here’s to the curry, long may it reign supreme. :slight_smile:

I ate so much indian food when I was in Japan.

Indian food is one of those things where I keep hoping I’ll like it, but whenever I try someone I don’t like it that much.

Here, here, India. I agree that authentic Indian cuisine is much better than the westernized flavours but I can only taste the flavour for a second before the spicy hotness overpowers it. Then its a battle for more flavour and only getting burned.

Insert hilarious cannibal pun here :booster:

I didn’t know people in india even had food, I thought their chlorophyll had a defective pigment.

I don’t think I’ve ever had real Indian food. I do like nan and I do like Vindaloo. I’ve had a few other curry dishes that I’ve liked that were labeled Indian cuisine. But I can’t remember any of the places nor types of food I ate.

I’m calling bullshit on the original post. I’ll eat Indian food out of cultural curiosity or whatever, but I have yet to taste anything from India more magnificent than a humble box of KD. And it’s not like it’s even a close battle, either. I mean, I kinda understand where people are coming from when they say it’s good, but at the end of the day… even instant mac and cheese is degrees of magnitude more delicious than anything I’ve ever eaten that calls itself Indian. And I’m not even talking about Cheesecake or Beef Stroganoff or anything like that… I’m talking about fucking KD. Not that I don’t like Indian food, but I’d have to be reaching pretty hard to appear cultured to say it’s capable of taking my virgin tastebuds to new, previously undiscovered realms of flavour. If I want Asian, no offense, but Imma be hitting up the local Manchu Wok, forreals.

Oh god how can you say that :< Machu Slop is gross and KD is grosser

It’s Hades. That’s how he says it.

I love Indian food. It totally takes me on a flavour journey each time I have it. I went for all you can eat vegetarian buffet on Monday and it was pretty good. It was a restaurant I usually go to because its close to the school. I can’t really name what I had but a lot of it was great. I’ll probably go have it again next week to celebrate Pirate’s Eve.

KD is fine and cheap americanized chinese is still much better than Indian. They’re not my favourite foods or anything, but that’s why I used them as examples. This thread is filled with wannabe food hipsters who like pretending to believe there’s some perceivable difference between what you’ll find at Manchu Wok and what you’ll find at some independent kiosk run by REEL AZNS® or something, but I’ve tried both many times and I’d have to be a pretty big douchebag to claim authenticity can make mediocre food suddenly taste like ambrosia. If you’ve been to the local Indian chain, you’ve pretty much tasted what Indian is. And it probably tasted pretty meh compared to the local McD’s even. It’s not horrible or anything like that, I’ll eat it if its around, but I’m not going to seek it out, because it’s just not that good, and I’m not a pretentious dick :confused:

Can has Tikka Masala? :I

Love spicy stuff, even though my mouth isn’t as used to the stuff as my gut. Some people go all “tingly!” when they first gobble the stuff, up, but their stomachs can’t take it. Once, I had to empty my plate literally in tears… (You pay it, you eat it…)

Hades, you take your pretensions to new levels with each post. Bravo, truly you are the pinnacle of all that is full of itself.

Also Indian is pretty good. It’s a tossup whether I prefer it or Chinese. In general I prefer my bro’s girlfriend’s curry, though. They tend to be pretty yummy.

Indian food makes me have to poop.

Are you serious dude? My posts are antithetical to pretentiousness. I’m favouring KRAFT DINNER over “authentic Indian food.”

Here’s a definition of pretentious: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pretentious

Here are some examples of this:

Admittedly most Indian dishes nowadays are of western origin (Balti etc) but a real Indian dish from a real Indian restaurant might just be the most magnificent thing your mouth will ever experience, even if it will take 2 or 3 days to recover from it.

Here, here, India. I agree that authentic Indian cuisine is much better than the westernized flavours

Oh god how can you say that :< Machu Slop is gross and KD is grosser

I love Indian food. It totally takes me on a flavour journey each time I have it.
Sorry for calling the 15-25 year olds on an RPG forum out on their bullshit attempts to sound like some well-traveled international food connoisseurs, too good to eat anything that wasn’t made from scratch, going on magical indian food flavour journeys, exploring the nuances of… whatever the fuck.

Your accusations are so off-the-wall that I can’t help but assume you’re just doing it to troll, you motherfucker :stuck_out_tongue: At least Curtis is goddamn reasonable.

English people like vindaloo.

It’s only pretentious if I was saying how well traveled I was because I ate Indian food. Simply acknowledging that the cuisine from its origins tastes better than those adapted for foreign tongues is not pretentious. It’s just making a comparison.

So, there was no pretense, no assumptions made or exaggerations made. Beaten by your own source, Hades.

I like Indian Food and am not pretentious. Pretension implies an undeservedly high sense of self worth, whereas I am actually better than all of you.

Hades, go fuck off. Indian food totally takes me on flavour journeys and no one can tell me otherwise.

And of course I’m pretentious. Why do you even have to point that out?

Like seriously, some people like food you don’t like and suddenly they shouldn’t be liking it? I don’t have anything to prove by saying I enjoy Indian food. Don’t like how I express it? Too bad.

If you’ve been to the local European restaurant, you’ve pretty much tasted what European food is as well, right? India is a 1-billion subcontinent with more variety than you can shake a stick at and thinking its cuisine is perfectly represented by your local Indian is a bit daft. If you don’t like it, don’t eat it, but people who like stuff you don’t like aren’t by definition pretentious hipsters and whatnot*. In a thread about people who like Indian, being all “F U, McD’s are better and you suck” hits at least points 2 & 3 of your pretentiousness definition.

*but may be part of the worldwide Beatles conspiracy.