In which Canada gets a little love.

I don’t think anyone is defending Guantanamo either. I don’t understand why people keep bringing up shit about the US to defend a civilian CANADIAN organization. Despite how absurd that is to compare these apples and oranges to begin with, the existence of one doesn’t excuse the other.

Hence why they were not all tried at Nuremberg.

And I really never said that it was an independent event or not (which, if you read the website, it actually <i>is</i>, as this is his first and only encounter with the HRC. He simply chose to continue looking up unjust events where responsibility traces back to the HRC and post about it). I <i>agree with his stance on the issue</i>, but I <i>disagree with his attitude</i>. He is not telling the McDonald’s employee to take his shit elsewhere and maybe take pictures and gather support for other citizens who do not enjoy having shit sandwiches just as much like some kind of rational person. He is taking that shit sandwich, smearing it all over his face and on the employee, videotaping it, and making a youtube video which he proudly proclaims has 400,000 hits, and maybe get other people to sell some <a href = “http://ezralevant.com/”>t-shirts</a> about it.

I agree with Cless in that, if your cause is just and righteous, your stance should speak volumes. You bring yourself and your credibility down when you decide to throw civility out of the window whether or not you believe the situation you’ve been placed in is bull.

Hence why they were not all tried at Nuremberg.

No, but the vast majority of them are still tried as war criminals in whatever country they live in now, when they’re tracked down, Canada among them.

To be honest, I don’t know the details of the HRC system. For all I know, this woman is his only actual contact with the committee. This speech should be proclaimed in a public court for everyone to hear, but if there is no such court, then yes, this is his only chance to make his point.

If there’s another, more public HRC venue he would be subjected to, then I agree that he shouldn’t be haranguing one woman, but if she’s the conduit to the HRC, then this is where the haranguing needs to be done.

From what I’ve seen in the videos he’s right to be angry at these people, but he’s wrong to exploit that anger for self-gain.

As Cid said, they ARE tried as war criminals and people track them down to this day.

And it’s working. That article is now the site’s most-viewed. I was disgusted to hear about thought crimes, and if I were a Canadian, I would take action in response. I have no objection to excoriating the agent of a repulsive system, if it gets the system changed.

Also, I like the lyrics in your sig. What’s the band?

It’s from the anime “Pani Poni Dash”. Totally whacked, and a lot less funny than I thought, but it does have a few incredibly catchy songs.

I admit it’s effective, and even that it’s for a good cause, but I don’t have to like the way he does it.

The composer is Kei Haneoka. More than one VA sings the opening song (they switch up randomly) so the singer would depend on the version you get (I think there’s at least 3)

Right. I guess you couldn’t tell by my comparison of Western governments to the Nazis, but I’m a liberal.

Be it Canadian, American or otherwise. We of the West have a responsibility to hold ourselves or those that represent us as accountable as we would hold others. Excusing our Government from oppression or even attrocity is not the example that should be set by the “Enlightened West”.

Besides, I was comparing Guantanimo to Nuremburg where the soldiers hide behind the same excuse of “It’s okay because my executive branch said torture and killing rowdies is okay as they are not soldiers and by our marginally thin definition, not protected by the Geneva convention”.

People have a right to be heard, so long as it is not excessively hate-speech. Period. It’s not like he printed “Fuck Allah, Fuck Mohammed”. Now that’s hateful and an opinion that should not be shared. Afterall, hatemongering just leads to excessive violence.

I share that opinion all the time. It’s still not any government’s place to do anything about it. It doesn’t call for violence or anything of the sort. I suppose following it up with “Death to the infidels!” or somesuch might reach the limit.

Hold up.

Let’s expand on that, why can’t all nations just hold their leaders responsible? What’s this concept of the Enlightened West and acting like we’re a collective or something? America doesn’t represent the West or Canada or etc. Different nations with different ways, so I don’t see why anyone would make a statement like, “The West is oppressing us” when America might not be.

I don’t think anyone is defending Guantanamo either.

Not in this thread anyway.