If I Could Make The Next GH

Has there ever been any Joe Satriani or Steve Vai on a Guitar Hero game? Not that I really am interested in Guitar Hero, but it seems like those are some of the more “no duh” candidates for an artist in a GH installment.

Satriani and Vai both had downloadable tracks for GH3. Vai had the Halo Mjolnir theme and For the Love of God. Satriani had Surfing with the Alien.

I second that. I’m still surprised that Rock Band made a reference to Lordi in one of the pieces of equipment, but they haven’t made any Lordi DLC. Hmm… Hopefully they’ll have some soon, or some in Rock Band 2.

Vai’s really good technically, but his songs sound like shit. Satriani’s alright. I’d rather see something by Shawn Lane as an ultimate rapetrack though.

Has Dream Theatre made an appearance yet? They’re the most retardedly obvious band ever to have in a game called Guitar Hero. Under A Glass Moon would be a GREAT song to play.

heavily distorted guitars and low vocals don’t make a band metal.
No, but minor modes, metal tone, and dark/medieval/folky lyrical content do.

I’ve been hit harder by ska.
I’ve been hit harder by my own acoustic arpeggios than by Ride The Lightning or Kill Em All. They’re the kind of albums that are so soft, you can blast them as loud as you want and they’ll still sound weak. The only redeeming song to come out of that generation was Fade To Black.

The Black Album has a great percussive, hack-and-slash style sound to it compared to it’s predecessors. That’s what I define as hard hitting. Mad drums and bass, a heavy beat and a well defined rhythm. The first two albums were almost nothing but twangy guitar soundwalling. A poor argument for the title of hard-hitting if you ask me.

Although, they cry on Camera way more often than she does.
She doesn’t cry because no one gives a shit about stealing her music any more than she gave a shit about writing it.

This thread is like walking into some kind of Questionable Content strip

Almost seems like the point where someone inevitably screams “Slayeeeeer!”.

Cless you’re the greatest.

If I had a webcam, my response would be a youtube video of Mrs. Robinson transposed with distortion on. It would be fucking metal.

Arpeggios? Apreggiaaaaaaaaw, you poor little thing.

So, like, “Flashdance” is your idea of hard-hitting, or do you mean more like Phil Collins?

Yeah, Faith No More is my least favourite Patton project. I think it was where he tried things to see if they were good enough ideas for his other bands while making money to support his other bands.

patton’s an egotistical douchebag

I would say “egotistical misanthrope.” He’s gone to a cosmic, almost poetic level of douchebag that transcends the term. He’s like a sword-saint of being an arrogant asshole.

I’d say douchebag >_>

So wait, Patton = Hades?

Oh snap I went there.

But yeah I’d love to see some Lordi. I think that’d be pretty hillarious.

No. Just cause I’m a douchebag doesn’t mean all douchbags are me, retard!

I thought I’d chime in with a more classic-rock-oriented list. Less notes on the screen, but more syncopation and precision-playing. I think the duplicates are justified.

<b>Set 1</b>
David Bowie – China Girl
Arcade Fire – Neighborhood #1
Scorpions – Send Me an Angel
Traveling Wilburies – Handle With Care

<b>Set 2</b>
Franz Ferdinand – The Dark of the Matinee
Kansas – Dust In the Wind
Aerosmith – Walk This Way
The Byrds – Mr. Tambourine Man

<b>Set 3</b>
The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Guns N’ Roses – Don’t Cry
The Rolling Stones – Jumping Jack Flash
Prince – Little Red Corvette

<b>Set 4</b>
Muse – Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
The Strokes – Take It or Leave It
The Who – Behind Blue Eyes
Boston – Peace of Mind

<b>Set 5</b>
Pink Floyd – Time
Green Day – Basket Case
Eric Clapton – Layla
Eagles – Hotel California

<b>Set 6</b>
The Doors – Light My Fire
Led Zeppelin – Since I’ve Been Loving You
Iron Maiden - Virus
Ozzy Osbourne – Mr. Crowley

<b>Set 7</b>
AC/DC – Thunderstruck
Cream – White Room
Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower
Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb

<b>Set 8</b>
Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train
Radiohead – Paranoid Android
Eric Clapton – Classical Gas (Acoustic Cover)
Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven

I’d just like the say, that is one formidable list :open_mouth:

Classical Gas? Paranoid Android? YES PLEASE. And oh my god, I just noticed White Room. Not bad at all.

I think Comfortably Numb is overrated… it’s not a bad song though. Thunderstruck’s overrated too, but I’d be a fool to think it doesn’t belong in GH.

Nice picks. This is what I was hoping more people would do when I started this thread.

Props for Arcade Fire and Muse too. Nice variety.

Sorry, we just have very different tastes and expectations when it comes to certain types of music. The expectations you have for a song to be heavy is just so different from mine. Perhaps the simplest explanation is I prefer raw and you prefer polished.

But to avoid needless bickering… I shall post a list of my own of songs I think would be interesting to see in a GH style game. They might not even translate well into the game’s method seeing as how I don’t even like the game. Sometime tomorrow night I guess.

Thanks. I had to fight my temptation to just rotate from Led Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to Eric Clapton. Now I want to see other lists too.

In a more serious mode, these have all been pretty good lists. I have a few qualms (seriously, fuck Metallica covering Thin Lizzy covering Irish folk), I’d like a little more variety in Xwing’s list (a couple bands have multiple songs, which is a lot, considering how few songs there are), and Comfortably Numb isn’t difficult enough to be in set 8, I don’t think. Then again, I play guitar way different than most people, from what I can tell, since I can easily play songs most people think are hard, but find songs I’m told are pretty simple almost unplayable.

Yup, there were a few duplicates. I had to choose between decent songs with huge guitar parts, or great songs with huge guitar parts from bands I’d already used. So I threw in Time, Since I’ve Been Loving You, Mr. Crowley and Layla.

Now, if I added European and Asian bands, the repetition would vanish.

Comfortably Numb isn’t difficult enough to be in set 8
It’s a 7. Still high, but sometimes coolness can justify a higher set.

The thing with these lists is that Guitar Hero is no longer about just the guitar. I dunno if GH’s mindset will now be “A rock band game with more emphasis on guitar than Rock Band” or not. However, you can’t just pick songs due to primarily the guitars. Not that I’m saying you have. It’s just their lists now won’t be just big guitar songs any more, I imagine.

Unfortunately, the band mindset might mean no Classical Gas (the acoustic version is actually Mason Williams playing it, I believe) in future Guitar Heroes, unless Neversoft decides to add some songs which focus solely on one of the instruments.

Also, I think The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, while long, would be a nice lower tier (probably tier 1) song for a band game. I just can’t tell if it has bass in it.