If FFVII Never happened....

or if it happened differently than it did, maybe a different type of story, or if it did come out for the 64, how do you think the rest of the series would’ve been affected? Do you think the series would have continued to be the powerhouse it is today? Would it have lost steam? What do you think?

Powerhouse it is today? Ha ha ha FFX-2.

If FFVII had never happened, the world would be a much better place.

Without it, RPGs wouldn’t be nearly as popular in America as they are, and as a result, many fewer would be translated and released in America. So even those who hate the game for whatever reason should at least be thankful for its existence.

A lot more guys would have girlfriends.

Good question DR.
No FFVII spin-offs?!
That would be like some kind of dark alternate reality, where USSR would still exist, US would be on the brink of civil war and Nintendo would be the only gaming hardware manufacturer.
I don’t even want to think about this potential calamity.

As reluctant as I am to admit it, Hiryuu is completely right. That doesn’t mean I will just forget about all the shit it brought with it, but the point stands. We also wouldn’t have gotten Advent Children, which was pleasant enough.

Hades also has a very good point. By the way, where have you been?

Yeah, what with every third 11 year old who played FFVII when it came out was homosexually attracted to Sephiroth…

And, uh, yeah. Hiryuu’s right about there not being much of an RPG market today without FFVII’s massive and completely undeserved popularity. And the series isn’t much of a power house, it’s more of a joke at the moment.

I agree with Hiryuu as far as American RPG translations. I think things would have changed eventually, as graphics would have inevitably been added to RPGs, and they would have started getting attention from advertisers, but it might have been months or even years later.

As far as the future of the series, I think it would have happened similarly even if FFVII hadn’t taken off. If any game in the series would have been different, it would have been FFVIII. The rest would likely have been the same.

Yeah, now it is, but it’s still wildly popular both here and in Japland. That’s all I ment by that.

Now there’s a thought. I bet far more people would be outsided enjoying the what the locals call the ‘sun’. But then again, it has really livened up our petty existence. I mean without FF7 then most RPG’s wouldn’t have come out. And many of those people who make games would be low on people as many people suddenly wanted to be games designers because of games like that. I myself am a writer and want to be a games designer someday. I’m currently writing my book.

Aeris doesn’t die.

Ok thanks for that…bear in mind that none of the chracters will exist.

Hello sir, may I offer you a chill pill?

If FFVII had never existed, RPG’s would still apply to a niche audience, to tabletop geeks and Japanophiles. Square would not have become the powerhouse it is today. And the the world would be better off from the lack of Aeris/Sephiroth fan fiction.

Agree.
In the pre-FFVII era, RPGs were an exclusive domain of Nerds and this game broke the barrier.
Re: Powerhouse.

Top Sellers: Franchises

Mario series (184 million)
Pokémon (109 million)
Final Fantasy (60 million)
Tetris (50 million)
The Legend of Zelda series (47 million)
Grand Theft Auto (44 million)
Donkey Kong (44 million)
Gran Turismo (40 million)
Sonic the Hedgehog series (38 million)
Dragon Quest (35 million)

I don’t think it’s a big stretch to give this title to FF franchise. Granted, FFX-2 could be considered a flop sales wise, but if FFXII gets anywhere close to 5 million units sold (and I am certain this will be accomplished), that would put another FF title in the top 20 VG sellers of all time list.

Top 20 sellers: Consoles

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES - 17.28 million)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 12 million)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2 - 12 million)
Super Mario 64 (N64 - 11.62 million)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 - 11 million)
Gran Turismo (PS1 - 10.5 million)
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES - 10.5 million) [18]
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2 - 10 million)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 9.8 million)
Gran Turismo 2 (PS1 - 8.5 million)
GoldenEye 007 (N64 - 8 million)
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2 - 8 million)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 - 7.6 million)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES - 7.46 million)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 - 7 million)
Final Fantasy X (PS2 - 6.6 million)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1 - 6.6 million)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1 - 6 million)
Crash Bandicoot (PS1 - 6 million)
Crash Bandicoot 3 (PS1 - 5.7 million)
Super Smash Bros. (N64 - 5 million)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES - 4.61 million)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis - 4 million
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_video_games

I disagree. I think another game would have broken the niche market barrier by now. The difference is, we don’t know what game that would have been. I think FFVIII would have been different (graphically, if nothing else), so I’m not sure if that would have been it.

Also, with less popularity for the RPG genre, I think less games would have had RPG elements until more recent years. Think about it; Castlevania, Devil May Cry, tons of modern games have RPG elements that might not have.

Sega might still be making consoles.
Didn’t FFVII make Sony a hell of a lot more popular in the RPG genre (which in Japan, is like everything. Somebody should tell Microsoft.)
(Given Sony’s rather mediocre third-party support back in the day, I don’t think the world was expecting them to beat out both the N64 and Saturn.)
If FFVII didn’t come out, there probably would’ve been more Saturn RPGs (since N64’s carts were considered too small to hold a massive RPG).

Even I have to admit that it was FFVII that unlocked the door blocking North America from RPGs. It was because of FFVII that RPGs became so popular, and it triggered the success of the FF’s that followed such as FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFTactics as well as many non-FF RPGs like Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. Although I don’t like FFVII as much as I like FFIX, FFX and FFX-2, even I have to give FFVII credit for simply introducing North American gamers to RPGs. If FFVII never happened, my brother never would have noticed the existance of RPGs enough to buy FFIX(which was the first FF I played and also is my favorite), and I would probably still be playing Crash Bandicoot 24/7(don’t get me wrong, I still play Crash games, but all of them(with the exception of Crash 3, which I find funner then all of the FF’s except for FFIX) aren’t as fun as RPGs. So even I have to give FFVII credit for introducing the RPG genre to North America.

Also, I forgot to mention. I don’t think playstation would be the powerhouse it is today without FF7. That was a pretty big upheaval, especially considering the history of how FF7 came about.