I miss..

I miss the days where you didn’t have to do stupid, little sidequests in Final Fantasy games. I hate having to go on boring misadventures to gain ultimate weapons, armor, magic, etc… Chocograph locations in FF9 were annoying as hell, and FF7 Chocobo raising/racing was a nightmare.

I miss FF6, where you obtained most of your best equipment “on the way”, so to speak. I miss FF4, where you basically beat the crap outta stuff to get your best equipment. I miss Chrono Trigger the most, where the sidequests were actually INTERESTING and had some bearing on the plot. All these sidquests in newer games seem like “filler”; something to knock up the gameplay hours…

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Originally posted by PanamaJack
[b]I miss the days where you didn’t have to do stupid, little sidequests in Final Fantasy games. I hate having to go on boring misadventures to gain ultimate weapons, armor, magic, etc… Chocograph locations in FF9 were annoying as hell, and FF7 Chocobo raising/racing was a nightmare.

I miss FF6, where you obtained most of your best equipment “on the way”, so to speak. I miss FF4, where you basically beat the crap outta stuff to get your best equipment. I miss Chrono Trigger the most, where the sidequests were actually INTERESTING and had some bearing on the plot. All these sidquests in newer games seem like “filler”; something to knock up the gameplay hours…

Am I the only one who feels this way? [/b]

new =/= improved
Long =/= good story

This is why Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever.

I actually liked FF9’s sidequests quite a lot. FFX’s, though, were hell. -_-

I think a good game should have both options (equipment gotten from fighting cool battles and from doing side quests).

Well, it just seems that games are using a quantity over quality"theory nowadays. Its not just Final Fantasy, I HATE how in the newer Zelda games you have to “fish for treasure” or “collect golden skulltulas”. Does ANYONE really have fun with that? I’d like to see more plot-related sidequests, as opposed to what seems like random filler.

And just because a game is longer, doesn’t mean its better. I mean, I enjoyed Chrono Trigger far more then Chrono Cross, and Cross was at least twice as long.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
[b]I actually liked FF9’s sidequests quite a lot. FFX’s, though, were hell. -_-

I think a good game should have both options (equipment gotten from fighting cool battles and from doing side quests). [/b]

Usually a side-quest involves a cool battle. Unless its getting FFX Celestial Weapons. THAT was NOT cool at all.

I don’t know, I actually enjoyed hunting down those Gold Skulltullas in Zelda. I found it kind of challenging actually. But I don’t know, I think that a lot of side quests are hit or miss really.

Sidequests are meant to be a diversion from your regular quest, as well as a means to expand the game’s replay value. But I agree, FFX took the whole sidequest thing too far. To this day, my brother and I have been unable to gather all the Celestial Weapons.

And Crono Cross was an awful, awful game. All the sidequests either involved pointless equipment, useless boss battles, or characters that didn’t have any bearing on the plot. I mean, Vincent and Yuffie in FF7 weren’t big in the plot, but they at least had their backstories and reasons to fight. 3/4 of the characters in CC were just filler. But this is for the FF series, not the Chrono series.

I wish they would use smarter sidequests, instead of pointless battles and endless dungeons. Then again, the Omega Ruins (or whatever they were called) were good levelling…

Oh hell yeah, I hated FFX’s sidequests… even the battling ones (an hour of that battle music makes you grateful for the mute button :thud: ) but the butterfly catching, god almighty… and don’t get me started on the thunder plains quest.

No literally, don’t get me started- I never bothered with it :ah-ha!: I just customised the weapons instead, it’s a lot easier :wink:

I didn’t really like any of the Zelda ones, either- what the hell was that amateur photographer one all about in wind waker?

…That said, though, FF7’s minigames were great- I loved the snowboarding one, and I actually enjoyed the chocobo racing (all except for the random element of it). And then, of course, we have battle square :hahaha; That said, though, I agree it’d be better if you got the weapons/lv. 4 limits en route.

As much as I love FFX i also have to agree the Celstial weapon side-quests were BS (Damn you thunder plains!!)

I still like FFIV more than any other game in the series for reasons mentioned above. You didnt have to customize anything. Your characters got set spells/skills at set levels and you got all your kick ass equipment in the dungeons you were in (With a few notable exceptions)

Yeah, I also wish that more sidequests had more bearing on plot.

Well I didn’t mind. I mean it wan’t exactly hard to get Clouds Ultima Weapon was it? Or was it hard to get Barrets Missing Score? Among many other reasons this is why 7 is my favourite game. Ever.

Someone tell me what these ‘Gold Skulltulas’ are.

Is it Wind Waker or Orcarina of Time?

As for the topic, I enjoy sidequests merely for completist value. I admit though I never got all the Celestial weapons.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
[b]Someone tell me what these ‘Gold Skulltulas’ are.

Is it Wind Waker or Orcarina of Time?

As for the topic, I enjoy sidequests merely for completist value. I admit though I never got all the Celestial weapons. [/b]

Gold Skulltulas were OoT.

Ugh I gave up on the Gold Skulltula after about 90. I used that trick with the skulltula near hyrule castle to get the rest.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
Someone tell me what these ‘Gold Skulltulas’ are.

Gold Skulltulas were creatures sent from the fiery bowels of hell, designed to drive you to insanity.

Um, I mean, Gold Skulltulas were a sidequest in Ocarina of Time. You killed them, and harvested their bodies for tokens which could be exchanged for certain items. They also were hidden rather well, and made quite the annoying noise as you approached them…

i liked most sidequests but those freakin celestial weapons just pissed me off to no end. the chrono trigger i liked because the explained some of the plot

gotta agree with lots of you then, cuz in my opinion CT had some of the best sidequests i ever played, they’d get you to totally absorb in the game, at least that’s what happened with me.

Originally posted by |Damage|
gotta agree with lots of you then, cuz in my opinion CT had some of the best sidequests i ever played, they’d get you to totally absorb in the game, at least that’s what happened with me.

CC’s sidequests weren’t bad either. At least the Dario sidequest.

haven’t played cc yet, someday i will, when the world of cc is ready for me