I have a doubt about RIAA and the lawsuits

Form my curiosity, does RIAA pay taxes for the money it gets from people they sued?

Im sure they do…its a form of income for them so a tax has to be applied, wether its one to the courts, state, country, or even to the lawyers.

Lawyers always have a cut… Somewhere around 40-50%, IIRC.

And then there’s the fact that the lawyers are privately hired. That’s not a tax. Nice try though.

As for paying taxes on what you receive from civil court, I don’t think you pay taxes on that. It wouldn’t make much sense. “Oh. Here you go. We’re using our government judicial and executive powers to make this person pay you $25 million for emotional stress as determined by a jury of private citizens, but we’re going to take a good chunk of it. Have fun. :D” There MIGHT be a small fee you have to pay to go to court for civil trials. MIGHT.

And what does this have to do with having doubts, Ren?

Originally posted by Megaman984
There MIGHT be a small fee you have to pay to go to court for civil trials. MIGHT.

There is a cost to go to court, called court costs, they are norm about several hundred dollars.

Originally posted by Megaman984
[b]And then there’s the fact that the lawyers are privately hired. That’s not a tax. Nice try though.

As for paying taxes on what you receive from civil court, I don’t think you pay taxes on that. It wouldn’t make much sense. “Oh. Here you go. We’re using our government judicial and executive powers to make this person pay you $25 million for emotional stress as determined by a jury of private citizens, but we’re going to take a good chunk of it. Have fun. :D” There MIGHT be a small fee you have to pay to go to court for civil trials. MIGHT.

And what does this have to do with having doubts, Ren? [/b]

My doubts were exaclt that, about everything that makes RIAA lose money - no matter how little. If I were religious I would pray everyday for RIAA going bankrupt.

Originally posted by Ren
My doubts were exaclt that, about everything that makes RIAA lose money - no matter how little. If I were religious I would pray everyday for RIAA going bankrupt.

Unless of a legislative or economic fluke, y’wont live long enough to see it.

Depends on how crazy a P2P defender is and how much damage he can do to the RIAA building.