I have a confession to make...

I cried during 2001: A Space Odessey. When HAL died. What is wrong with me?

You’re a rampart technophile and need hot robot loving NOW?

You’re just associating it with a harddisk crash. And harddisk crashes makes everyone cry. It is only natrual.

I cried when (Metropolis Tima died in Metropolis, and she was only twisted metal too.) So don’t feel bad.

I… cry… when angels deserve to…
DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Charle has a kickass taste in music, System rock.
But that doesn’t seem TOO weird considering the stuff we see here.

Nothing’s wrong with you! You’re just… special… yes, that’s it! Special, just like me!

Dude Hades, that almost made me shed a tear too. I’m glad that was my first ever anime.

2001: A Space Oddessy really is the worst movie I’ve ever seen. When I say it about Lord of the Rings, I’m really kidding, because I understand why people like them, I just don’t happen to see the magic. But 2001: A Space Oddessy really is a crappy movie. The books, I’ve heard, are quite good, and from reading parts of them the plot makes sense. But the thing about the movie is that it simply does not make sense.

Cool fact about HAL, if you add one letter to it’s name (H+1) you get IBM. (H+1=I, A+1=B, L+1=M)

Well from what I understand about 2001:

The monolith was a device created by advanced aliens to cultivate rational intelligence. These aliens went around the galaxy searching for signs of developing intelligence, and when they found them they would deposit the monolith on the planet. The monolith would then help the developing species achieve reason. The monolith did this by showing the developing species images of the things they could acquire with reason, for instance it would show apes images of the apes using tools to kill animals and then cook the bodies. Remember the scene where the apes stare at the monolith? Well, in an earlier version of the script which I found online, the apes are actually seeing the aforementioned images of themselves using tools for their benefit. But yeah, they got rid of all that stuff in the movie.

Uh, the movie made no sense whatsoever to me, except that HAL killed them all, but i still cried when he died. Daisey is so sad. ;_;

It’s always sad when the psychotic villain dies…

Sorc is right: the books make MUCH more sense. It’s obvious that for the movie, they went with the most visually impressive imagery (and it WAS impressive, at least for its time) and provided almost no clues to its meanings, in typical Hollywood style. Pity, because the ideas in 2001 are very interesting.

And yes, Curtis is correct.

As for why HAL went insane, the reason is this: It was secretly programmed (by people on Earth who wanted to use the Monolith for their own purposes) to serve their agenda. Thing is, this went against its OWN mission programming. And just like a human mind under pressure from different sources… it snapped.

So you CAN feel sorry for HAL, in a way, because it wasn’t acting on its own, and it fact, it CARED for the ship’s crew.

BTW, I recommend the sequel (2010, a book AND a TV movie) which explains all of this MUCH better, sort of makes up for what HAL did (in the form of a new, sentient computer) AND has quite a surprise finale.