I hate Middle English.

Well, I tried. Hard. And for a long time.

<i>And certes, if it nere to long to here,
I wolde han told yow fully the manere,
How <b>wonnen</b> was the regne of Femenye</i>

Wonnen. What is the grammatical name for that form of the word? I can’t find it anywhere, even in Swedish. I need to know to figure out the answer to a question, so I’m not really asking you to do my homework for me. =P It’s more like I’m using you as the helpful dictionary/handbook no one has had the courtesy to write. I mean… Hi, please help me - Ultros is cute. :ulty: :slight_smile:

<i>A Miller’s Tale</i>:

For som folk wol <b>ben wonnen</b> for richesse,
And somme for strokes, and somme for gentillesse.
Somtyme, to shewe his lightnesse and maistrye,
He pleyeth herodes upon a scaffold hye.
-Chaucer

For some <b>are won</b> by means of money spent,
And some by tricks, and some by long descent.
Once, to display his versatility,
He acted Herod on a scaffold high.
-Chaucer

And so,

And certes, if it nere to long to here,
I wolde han told yow fully the manere,
How wonnen was the regne of Femenye.

would then, roughly translate to

And certainly, if it was not too long to hear,
I would tell you fully the manner,
By which the kingdom of Femenye <b>was won.</b>

<b>wonnen</b> would then be the past participle of <b>winnen</b>, <i>to win</i>.

English is a germanic language :frowning:

I may be wrong, but if it has anything to do with the german word “gewonnen”, then it’s the past participle of “win”.

What about the “was”? The kingdom didn’t win, it was won. So it’s something with passive. Maybe.

I thought at first that if you glued the two n’s together, you’d get “women”. For some reason, that makes as much sense to me as what it REALLY means.

Gewonnen is passive too. :wink:

“The kingdom <i>was won</i>” would be passive, with <i>was</i> as the auxiliary, and <i>won</i> as the past participle.

Yeah, I know. =P Except not a lot of germanic words are left, really. >_> Just the important ones.

Yeah, but the meaning is active. =P

It really sounds predicate complementish… Ah whatever, I’ll just call it a past participle and mention that it’s passive and maybe if the tomatoes are smiling I’ll pass this damn course.

I am disapointed in the UK’s educational system… Jing proberbly speaks better english than I do…

You should be “disapointed” because it’s not really a “proberblity” :stuck_out_tongue:

Touché!!

Every time Jing posts some of her middle english homework, it makes me very glad we don’t use that form of English anymore.

It’s still more legible than 1337speak though.

Even someone who’s been a natural at english since childhood can probably find the ancient version of the language troublesome. >.>

That’s normal, considering that about 60% of Modern English’s vocabulary are Latin- or French-derived. Just about 30% are of Germanic origen. Middle English, however, had a larger proportion of Germanic words.

You’re a language on your own.

Your. Its your only damn language. Make an effort.

<3 the Canterbury tales.

That is all.

Working.