I finnaly got a new comp

Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
512 RAM, SDDR or something like that (the newest) (will add +128)
40 GB (gotta change it, I know)
8 Mb video onboard (gotta get myself some 64 mb graphic card)
DVD recorder

What else is relevant when rating computers?

sound card is something Im usually interested in.

Onboard sound. I don’t care much about the sound part since I mostly use just a pair of headphones that won’t give me depth nor subwoofered sensation anyway.

Personally, I’m a sound fanatic. I’ve got a bass/subwoofer connected to my computer, but it’s got shitty speakers, so I also use headphones, so the bass/subwoofer is hooked in with my headphones as well, and its pretty leet.

The newest ram’s DDR.

No, it’s SDDR.

Congratulations! Woohoo!:yipee:
I was stuck with a wretched tin can for years and I was really happy when it was replaced earlier this year! Maybe we can play UT or JK II sometime.

Originally posted by Manus Dei
Congratulations! Woohoo!:yipee:
I was stuck with a wretched tin can for years and I was really happy when it was replaced earlier this year! Maybe we can play UT or JK II sometime.

I still gotta get you on Tyrian 2K

BTW Sorc, don’t you miss some of the coolness in sound systems when you get the sound from the woofers via headphones?

I’m not a sound fan either. Congrats on the the new comp, it’s making me jealous. Just so you can make me cry more, how much memory is in your video card?

Wow, very nice set up you’ve got there. However, reading about your plans to install 128 Megs of RAM set off sirens in my head. You always want to install RAM in exponential increments of 2. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. It is possible to use odd amounts of RAM, but doing so creates a higher risk for memory related errors.

What I suggest doing is taking the money from the RAM and spending it on a low cost SB Live! Card. You’ll get a much better performance boost than the RAM would give you, and it’ll cost less than the RAM too. Then, take the money you have left over, and put it twoards whatever you have saved up for buying a Video Card so you can get a little bit nicer Video Card.

Edit: And personally, I think 40 GB is more than enough for most people. I wouldn’t get anything larger unless you’re constantly downloading huge files or do a lot of movie editing.

8 MB AGP onboard (any PCI is better than onboard AGP, trust me)

I’ve already ran a computer with 160 Ram and it was okay. I think 512 + 128 will be no problem too and it won’t cost me much since I already have the 128 MB thing from another computer. As for the HD, I’m thinking of moving to 90 GB since I have a lot of heavy stuff running in my comp. And I like performing full installs for everything.