I don't know how they did it..

But Metallica pulled off a kickass album without doing any solos at all.
Yes, I’m talking about St. Anger. I have heard the whole album 3 times in the past day, and I’m convinced that they are one of the best bands ever. They went away from their regularity of putting 1 or more solos in every single song, and have still been able to keep all of their songs over 5:00 without being annoyingly repetitive.
One of the songs is 8 and a half minutes, and seems to be a prelude to The Unforgiven. Which brings me to another point. If you look at the ‘flaming skull dude’ as my friend put it, on one of their albums, you can see that the person with the necklace with a fist on it (in the cover art) and the ‘flaming skull dude’ have a very striking resemblance. Well, that’s all for my rant about metallica ^_^;

I admit that I have not heard any other song from St. Anger other than the title track, but I was not impressed. Kirk Hammett is not living up to his reputation as a good metal lead guitarist.

Metallica is not a favourite band of mine anyhow, so I will probably not buy the album.

That’s the thing… the title track is very different sounding than the rest of the album.

I heard a couple songs off of the album so far and the only track I liked was Sweet Amber.

Yeah, Sweet Amber’s a good one… I like Dirty Window… hell I like the whole thing… St. Anger isn’t my favorite out of them though.

I stopped liking Metallica after they they brought Nothing Else Matters out for the second time…

Haven’t heard anything off the new CD. My favorite Metallica song is Enter Sandman, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t heard any of the new tracks either. I’ll probably try and borrow the CD off a friend before I buy it.

My favourite Metallica track is Fade to Black.

Man, people only talk about their more well-known songs
Listen to Where the Wild Things Are. You’ll love that song.

I like Whiskey in the Jar and Master of Puppets.

Now I’m going to have to go out and buy St. Anger. Thanks Steve-O

St. Anger is an album which I would not even have my worst enemy listen to; they do not deserve the aural punishment that it brings. It assaults the ears with the metal equivalent of emo- and the lack of solos makes it… NOT… a Metallica album. Its catering to the short attention span of people in this age, and I do not approve. Its not metal without at least SOME insane guitar solos, if you ask me. Lastly, but certainly not least, this album is not up to par with the rest of their albums- especially “Master of Puppets,” and “Kill 'Em All.”

And so, I say St. Anger, and new Metallica, is disgustingly poor compared to the metal of yesteryear.

Dude, Steve, what are you talking about? That whole album is repetative! It fuckin strives of repetatviness… most of those songs could easily be cut down by a few minutes.
Now, I don’t really think it’s a bad album, though. It’s alright… but it certainly isn’t one of my favourites, and I know for sure that Metallica could do better. Probably the best song, if there was a best song, is Frantic, “Frantic tic tic tic tic tic toc frantic tic tic…toc” etc etc.
You know what? I’m gonna blame all of this on Bob Rock. He starting producing their albums starting with the black album, and he even wrote some songs on this album… it’s all his fault. Simple as that.

Metallica sucks!

I’ve heard… five songs by Metallica in total, with any luck. No new ones.

Originally posted by Rountree
And so, I say St. Anger, and new Metallica, is disgustingly poor compared to the metal of yesteryear.

You said New Metallica like it’s impossible for them to go back to like they were. Did you even hear the medley at MTV Icon? They’re still able to do their solos, and they have at least one more album coming out. Don’t give up on them yet :stuck_out_tongue:
This is their ‘aggressive’ album, or whatever, maybe even an experimental one.

Actually, Stevie, if this (Enter Sandman) is well-known, I didn’t know of it.

Heh, it’s usually the Metallica song most people know. Least around here that is, so they base all of metallica’s songs off of their impression of Enter Sandman.
Enter Sandman is far from their best song :stuck_out_tongue:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… I dunno. I just like its rhythym. And I love the “Never never land” part of the song.

It’s like the song from The All-American Rejects “Swing Swing.” I just like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Get on AIM real quick :stuck_out_tongue:

I just searched for random songs… I searched for “The Matrix Reloaded” and got Linkin Park’s “Session” and I think it’s a kickass song, although most people I know wouldn’t like it.