I call bullshit

…yeah. Go Reuters.

This is by far one of the most stupid things I’ve ever read.

“We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited.”

1-) If that was STATIC electricity, there would be NO current. The very definition of static is ‘not flowing’. And if they were to measure a voltage, they would have to specify which referential point they were using. A voltage is a difference of electric potential between two given points. What points did they test? I could measure 220V in my body, if the reference was the electrical wiring of a house during the negative phase.

If that guy was in 40,000V relative to the ground, he wouldn’t ignite things like that. He’d be sending electrical rays towards any conductors around. I don’t know about North America nor Europe, but here cables from the plant to houses, before the conversion to 110V/220V, run with 13,000V relative to the ground.

2-) It’s not voltage that sets things into fire.

Fires are started when you pack enough thermic energy on a combustible substance. Voltage, as said above, is not a measure of energy. Power is. And though electrical power is dependant of Voltage, it is also dependant on insulance and current flow. If voltage alone was the factor behind the heating, just any device you plugged would heat as much as that iron you use for clothes.

3-) When a object discharges, it’s subject to the same shock as the target that receives the charge. If you ever touched someone while being charged (or while the other person was charged), you know what I’m talking about. If this guy ignited a carpet like that, his torso and legs would have suffered serious burns. The kind that would cripple him for at least a long while.

4-) Just how the fuck did those firefighters gather data about the electrical properties of people who suffered self-combustion?

I could write a long 10 pages essay about this, but to make it short, this is the cheapest hoax I’ve seen in a while. Even the explosive cell phones were easier to believe than this.

Damn, what is up with all this " his clothing started a fire" I agree, BULLSHIT!!!

:ulty: :thud: :chupon:

haha locke just got his ass kicked.

Post when sober please.

Ren, not only is all that true, but it takes about 70 milliamps to stop the heart, and that’s far shy of combustion of anything. As far as thermic energy goes, it would have to do with resistance in the material the electricity was flowing through (kinda like how resistance in the monofillament is why lightbulbs glow). Extreme voltage could do it, but so could whoreloads of electrons moving about.

I heard this on a morning radio show, and they were trying to get someone who knew about electricity to tell them whether it was possible or not. Strangely, the sources seem like they would be legitimate. They heard it from an ABC or NBC News show.