Hunting a sport?

I really don’t believe hunting as a sport, I think of it as a hobby. I mean, you can practice for it, but the animal has no way to defend itself. No, I’m not an animal activist, and I find it fun to hunt deer, but I don’t concider it a sport. Feel free to flame now.

IMO, its only a sport if you chase after a deer(EDIT:Boar) wearing a loincloth and armed with nothing more than a stick sharpened at both ends.

EDIT: Props to whoever can tell me what thats from.

Hunting is more of a hobby methinks.

Originally posted by YourWorstEnemy
[b]IMO, its only a sport if you chase after a deer(EDIT:Boar) wearing a loincloth and armed with nothing more than a stick sharpened at both ends.

EDIT: Props to whoever can tell me what thats from. [/b]

Wildboyz? Sounds like something Steve-o would do.

Hmm… I guess you could think of it as a sport. They get points of different sizes. You have to find the deer. You have to… shoot them : . I don’t know. There are lot more that comes into effect than running out firing at them. :runaway:

I view it as a hobby, as there is nothing physical about lying still and shooting at things that move.

If they replace the rifle with a club, I’ll call it a sport.

It is considered a sport.

Some of de times wen we’ez waitin for dem fritters ta be ready, we’ez all go on out and shoot us some wild animals! Yeehaw!

Honestly. What the hell is the point of shooting a rabbit or a deer? Come on! What did the thing ever do to you? Trample your flowers?

Originally posted by Devillion

Honestly. What the hell is the point of shooting a rabbit or a deer? Come on! What did the thing ever do to you? Trample your flowers?

Exactly why I’m against hunting.

Hunting and fishing is very popular here in Missouri, particularly deer hunting. I can’t hunt anything, though…if I shot and killed somthing, I’d feel terrible about it. :too bad;

It’s a form of relaxation for those that do it. Then there’s the meat. I’ve had deer meat before. It’s not that bad. I didn’t really like the deer sausage, but the meat is tougher than what I’m used to. You really have to go to deer camp before you judge it. It’s partly a social gathering to talk about the bucks you’ve bagged and whatnot. I would consider it a hobby.

And let me tell you, some of those hunters, they’re great trackers. If it ever came to the point that cvilization needed to be gotten away from (like many people worried about before 2000), I would trust my life with those hunters.

I guess it’s a sport.

I belive that you shouldn’t kill anything unless you plan on eating it, just as nature intended.

Though I’m pretty sure nature never intended us to use rifles…but the rule still stands!

Hunting isn’t a sport, and I don’t think it should be. Sure it may require skill, but it’s just different than a sport, it’s more like a hobby, but even then I don’t think it should be done as just a hobby. Why should anyone get pleasure from ending the life of a random animal?

Its a thing to to with friends, a real bonding thing, much like camping. I’d say it’s a sport AND a hobby, since you have to have skill to do it, yet its not much of a competition. I have nothing against hunting, since it does little to the deer population, and some years, is actualy helpful to the environment (in cases of to many deer and not enought food in the environment for the deer).

OMG U SIK FUK U KIL ANIMALZ U H8ER U FUKIN SUK!!!11one </activist>

Ain’t a sport until the animals/prey can kill you.

Originally posted by Nulani

If they replace the rifle with a club, I’ll call it a sport.

Or, alternately, they let the deer start packing heat, too.

I remember watching a hunting show where these guys were shooting at squirrels for fun. Once they had blown the poor little buggers out of the trees, they would stick them on a pike and see how many they could collect in a hour. After a couple of hours there would be about 3 dozen dead squirrels on the pike, then the hunters would toss the corpses into the bushes. They then hopped into their pick-up truck, laugh at the poor animal’s misfortune, then drove home.

“The Most Dangerous Game.”

Now THAT is a sport.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
[b]“The Most Dangerous Game.”

Now THAT is a sport. [/b]

Ooh, I liked that story. I don’t think it’s still sport, though, since the main character had only a knife. It’s like giving a deer a horn while you still have a rifle AND a lackey. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just don’t watch any of the cheapass movie remakes.

At any rate, hunting, when not for subsistence, is probably as much sport as is fishing. Although, non-subsistence farming, that is, gardening, is considered a hobby. Of course, I think hunting is more like fishing, and so there must be some form of hunting that could be refferred to as “sport hunting” as there are organizations that do “sportfishing.”

I also think that “hunter” is the real “world’s oldest proffession.” Seems logical enough, eh?