HP5

I thought 5 was terribly mainly because of the horrid character development, and the cramming was something that she just started doing in every book since 4. Oh, well… let’s hope she does learn.

Pants.

I try not to remember five, which is why I forgot the shoddy character development as well. I think she does have a lot of good ideas, and even a fairly good formulae that she follows (and I normally despise formulae in fiction), but sometimes with the technical aspects of writing, I will assent, she doesn’t know what she is doing. I suppose that means you win this round.

Pants.

I think five was my least favorite because there was so little going on besides Harry being angsty. And pig-headed. Then there’s the character death at the end that just didn’t feel like the character was killed off. I’m not saying I think character is ever coming back, just that it was too much like: poof gone!

Something like the Scouring of the Old British Home Harry lives in? I hope, as two characters are going to die anyway, that all three meet their end. Take that, Elsinore guy.

I’m pretty excited for the movie, I’ll definately be going to see it at least once. I’m much more excited for the last book though, I’ll be going to Barnes and Nobles for the midnight release with some friends (Although, we’ll probably end up going to buy it at Wal-Mart or something like we did for the 6th book). I can’t wait to see what happens.

I saw the first, second and fourth, and they irritated me since they changed the story a bit from the books.
Yeah that was actually REALLY bad in the fourth. The first three were pretty loyal though. I still liked all of them. Not the best movies I’ve ever seen, but good.

I have more respect for fantasy writers like Tolkien
Tolkien is possibly the worst writer I’ve ever been exposed to. I bought the LotR trilogy thinking I’d be all cool and hardcore and actually read it.

No.

Tolkien is legendary but Rowling is the better writer by far. Not perfect, but better.

Tolkien’s style is harder to become immersed in, but creating Middle-Earth obviously took a lot more effort than, say, <i>Quidditch</i>

Of course Tolkien’s world building was far superior to his dense, plodding prose. But while Tolkien creates a great world, he fails to supplement it with an interesting plot or characters (with notable exceptions) and tends to stick realism in places where it adds tedium, rather than attention to detail. But perhaps I’m biased because I took a Tolkien class that ended up being the second worst class in my college career (imagine if you will, thirty students debating whether Frodo is a homosexual).

Not to mention that both Tolkien and Rowling are vehement thieves of mythology and classical literature, as many people complain. However, I think that Rowling takes many of the ideas and makes them her own, wheras whole passages of Tolkien’s work are practically lifted from the KJV of the Bible (beginning of the Silmarillion) and Norse mythology.

I’m psyched. I’m on the poor side so I don’t know how I’m gonna see the movie but I fully intend on getting the last book and reading it in one sitting.

I never really thought that Rowling is a bad writer. In fact I was always intrigued that she had the entire plot of the series planned out from the beginning and knew what was going to happen. Although recently it’s been revealed that she changed the ending. Apparently she had always said the last word of the final book was going to be scar, but thats no longer true.

I don’t read fantasy very much at all. In fact, Tolkiens horrible, horrible style pretty much ruined the whole genre for me. I prefer to stick to the stars myself. Space is where it’s at. Call me a trekkie - but nothing tickles my fancy faster than a quick “Engage!” or “I’m a doctor, not a brick builder!”.

Man, screw you guys, I love Tolkien. Seriously, favorite author. You guys can jus go die. >:(

Also, yes, I am looking forward to it, but not as much as I looked forward to, say, the fourth one. As for the movie…I’m really not sure. I’ll see it, but I dunno how much I want to.

You should pay attention to the Hobbit. Best JRR book.

The Silmarillion in a nutshell. Good lord, his style in the trology was fairly bearable and I liked it, but that damn book killed me.

And for fuck’s sake, I’ve read The Rise and Fall, it takes a LOT from a book to wear me down.

And yet it’s still less appealing. I guess effort isn’t everything.

What kind of plot did you expect in a book that’s a mix of fantasy “history” and stories?

The Silmarillion isn’t a book, it’s a religious text.

I’ve always enjoyed HP, both the books and the movies. For some reason the books are just terribly immersive. Very few other authors really give me the feeling that I just have to keep reading to see what happens next.

I have absolutely no idea how they’re going to fit most of what happens into the movie. They’re going to have to cut a hell of a lot of material.

Not going to see it in the theatres, though ($11 for two hours? Nuh-uh). I’ll wait for the DVD. I have the next (last) book preordered (actually my sister does).

I hope that wasn’t directed at me, Rigmarole. I’ve read it, and it’s good, but I far prefer others.

Also, I really enjoy the Silmarillion. You guys just suck. >:(

Nah, I was just saying because it’s a book that doesn’t have the traits many people dislike in Tolkien. Your Tolkien card is still valid.

I will agree that The Hobbit and some of his shorter works do not fit my criteria, and are actually quite interesting. Five points to Ravenclaw, Rigamorale!

Oh, Hades, I had missed your factpinions so.

Personally, I agree with one of Michael Moorcock’s assessments of Tolkein (and the one he sticks to), as “Epic Pooh,” wherein the basic idea of Whinnie the Pooh is taken on a fantastic scale with elves and orcs. My opinion differs from Mr. Moorcock’s in that I think that’s a pretty cool thing for a book to be, really. It may not have the best character development, but we’re in a damned Harry Potter thread. Only one of her characters I could ever get attached to was Sirius, and that was really all from my imagination, since he barely even gets a defined personality.
I don’t get into the mythology/literature thieving argument. Everything’s already been done, in some form or another, that having a plot (or, thanks to fucking Virginia Wolfe, not having one) will end up with you stealing something (in fact, the plot of your book) from somewhere else. I rather like to look at how well the theft turns out, rather than it’s magnitude or how blatant it is.
Grendel, for instance, is the epitome of just stealing a fucking book. Much more than Rowling or Tolkein rob mythology, as they at least bothers to change a few things. I mean, it’s Beowulf. There is no attempt to hide it, passages are included word-for-word. But the manner in which it is done is what makes Grendel such an amazing book, complete with the Anarchist Viking, Nihilist Dragon, Existentialist Skald, and the best motherfucking last line anybody’s ever pulled off. I mean, yeah, Gardner stole classic literature at level nobody else has even tried to, but he made his points in it. Everyone is stealing something. It’s how you do it that matters.

Rig and Cid’s Tolkein comments: Tru dat. Er, dem.

EDIT: I’m not really trying to contradict anyone with the Grendel thing. Really, I’m just trying to point out how awesome Grendel is.

And I missed how certain people here require an “imo” after every third word not to get the impression that I’m writing what is so obviously my opinion off as fact.

Only not. Quit baiting or quit posting. I did.