How Rude a Church can Get When it comes to Band Parades

Okay, Here’s what happened. This morning, I was part of this parade for my church and the school band. There were three bands present. The priest (Who was the MC of the whole thing), didn’t give any credit towards our school for even showing up. He heavily favored another school band who showed up.

The priest let the other band go first in the parade, and had us and the third school wait about a half hour before we could step off. Then, during mass, he had stated the the band he favored was the, “Band of the Church.” Which I thought was an insult, and that was what got my mom mad.

We worked as hard as the other band, but we didn’t get ANY recognition from anyone in the church. He was so in favor of them, and let them play WAY more often than us.

Tonight, during mass, the priest had also stated us as, “That other school.” He didn’t even call us by name.

Well, there’s my rant. I’m not too happy about what happened today.

Which is exactly why I don’t go to church. If they don’t like you, you don’t exist.

Yeah, exactly, hate the church because of the actions of one preist. You have a right to be pissed off, that priest was an asshole, but don’t blame the entire church for it =P

Originally posted by Lord Zhou Yu
Which is exactly why I don’t go to church. If they don’t like you, you don’t exist.

I think the same can be said of any orginization.

I don’t hate the church. I didn’t like what the priest did to us.

Then why did you title the thread “how rude a church can get”?

Priests are not godly, there is no difference between them and the drunken guy outside on the streets.

Too bad there are no personality requirements to become a priest.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]Priests are not godly, there is no difference between them and the drunken guy outside on the streets.

Too bad there are no personality requirements to become a priest. [/b]

No they’re not godly, but that’s a bit drastic to say they are the same as a homeless drunk. Besides, that is a gross generalization, many are very nice people. I’m sure there are plenty of nice homeless drunks too, but being a drunk shows a lack of self-restraint and indicates other negative qualities.

And Gemini, get over it, that was one person’s opinion. Dwelling on it helps no one, forgiving the situation and putting it behind you makes you a better person. And if your gripe is with the priest, don’t call the Church rude, call the priest rude.

Actually demigod, it’s interesting to note that what Nulani said is VERY reminiscent of the Protestant Reformation: All men (and women for you damn PC junkies) are sinners and are no greater than each other in the eyes of God.

And was it a priest, JFG? I mean, was the church Roman Catholic, Anglican, or Episcopal (technically Anglican yes, but it’s separate enough)? Maybe some blank Orthodox Church (I think they have priests). I’m only asking because priests technically only apply to those churches. Other churches rebelled against a Roman Catholicism hierarchy, so their individual church leaders technically aren’t priests. Pastors, or ministers, or preachers, or something. I don’t really know. Anyway, I’m asking it because I know for sure to lead a parish in the above mentioned churches, you have to be ordained and have gone through seminary. Other churches don’t always have to go through seminary, so if it was like the First Holy Mount Zion Evangelical Baptist Church of Visalia, then it might not have a guy that may not have gone through seminary and is one of those stereotypical country bumpkin preachers that so many people like to make fun of. ANYWAY, the point in all of this is that to go through seminary, I believe you have to demonstrate some sort of good personality, and if the Church wasn’t Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episopal, or possibly blank Orthodox, then it doesn’t necessarily have a guy that had to show good manners when going through seminary.

What does that have to do with the main topic? Not much. I think it was more of a reply to Nul’s.

What you should do, JFG, is gather your band to his church one day, and abruptly interrupt his sermon and interrogate him as to why he didn’t recognize your band (by name, at least) and raise hell about it… Not to mention throw in some good ol’…

All men are sinners and are no greater than each other in the eyes of God.

Originally posted by demigod
[b]No they’re not godly, but that’s a bit drastic to say they are the same as a homeless drunk. Besides, that is a gross generalization, many are very nice people. I’m sure there are plenty of nice homeless drunks too, but being a drunk shows a lack of self-restraint and indicates other negative qualities.

And Gemini, get over it, that was one person’s opinion. Dwelling on it helps no one, forgiving the situation and putting it behind you makes you a better person. And if your gripe is with the priest, don’t call the Church rude, call the priest rude. [/b]

There are a lot of nice drunks, and a lot of nice priests. I used the two groups, because the stereotypes of each are opposities.

On another note, if your band didn’t get any recongition, demand an apology by that bastard, or get revenge. It don’t matter who the person is, if they snub your band, GIT 'EM! quoting someone I looked up to in High School marching band

Originally posted by Megaman984
Actually demigod, it’s interesting to note that what Nulani said is VERY reminiscent of the Protestant Reformation: All men (and women for you damn PC junkies) are sinners and are no greater than each other in the eyes of God.

I kind of recognized that. Possibly part of the reason I responded I guess, being devoutly Catholic and all. I can get a bit carried away sometimes. Generally, my philosophy is: You’re not wrong, I’m just more right. I say this not to insult people, but to demonstrate my pompousness, which I will admit to being a bad thing.

Originally posted by Lord Zhou Yu

Yeah cuz all churches are like that…right

Gemini

I feel for you

we had a parade this weekend, in our home town, and we were like the 3rd band in line to march.

Sucks

The problem, brother, is that it wasn’t just a priest. It was the mon senior (or however that’s spelled), which means he basically runs the chruch. And so far, it’s safe to say that he’s a micro-managing nutcase. The other priests below him can’t so much as drink a glass of water without his expressed approval. So far, he’s driven three highly-qualified priests off because of his mannerism. I’ll probably go to hell for this, but I hope he up and dies soon. I’d love to see how God would react to how he used his position.

Oh, and your school sucks, brother. (/schoolrivalrycomesback!)

Foolish protestants.

Monsignor maybe. That doesn’t look quite right though, but it’s not missing more than one letter. I never would have guessed how to pronounce it the first time I saw it (about 6 months ago). You’ve never seen it spelled I take it. That does stink then, having a man like that in such a position. I now move my position more towards Nulani’s opinion. But only a little.

What are some of the details of this parade? Was it run by the church or was the priest just the MC? If he was the MC, did he personally create the order of bands, or just follow what someone else created?

And I know it’s annoying, but don’t feel bad about not being the first band in the parade. When my township has parades, one of the town’s bands is always first and one is always last. Those who come from out of the township are never first or last. If it was the church’s thing, don’t be upset that the church band was first. Also, just to let you know, in any parade, bands are generally spaced out. If they’re close to each other, their sounds can interfere with each other. So don’t be mad that you had to wait, that’s natural for any parade. Trust me, I’ve been involved with both school and non-school marching bands for about eight years. What do you mean by he let the other band play more than you? How do you know the other one played a lot more if you were over a half hour behind it? What are you basing that on? Did he specifically tell you not to play and the other band specifically to play?

Were all the bands present (or members from each) when he decided to only credit the church one? If this was in church, what’s so weird about him praising the church band? If this was to the general public, then I agree your anger is justified. But if it was to the church community, frankly, it makes sense. After all, when a sports team has a meeting after a game or something, does the coach praise all the teams that participated? No, just his own. I know that’s not the best of analogies, and sorry for playing Devil’s Advocate (wow, in a church topic too, lol), but sometimes things aren’t really as bad as they seem.