How much do you know about Ireland?

Do you, punk?

What I’d like to know is what exactly goes on with language in the country. Granted, I could go ask my neighbour, but it wouldn’t be the same, would it?

What goes on in Bertie Ahern’s (or however he spells it) mind? Which Irish band grates on your nerves (bet there’s at least one)? Is it true that as a punk leftover, people used to spit in rock concerts? Is O’Leary dead and gone?

And why is there always an Irish bar everywhere?

The language in Ireland is predominantly English, although everybody has to learn the Irish language (Gaeilge) in school.

“God save Ireland!” said the heroes;
“God save Ireland” said they all.
Whether on the scaffold high
Or the battlefield we die,
Oh, what matter when for Erin dear we fall!

Irish Coffee

1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
8 ounces hot coffee
1 dash creme de menthe
1 maraschino cherry
dessert topping, pressurized
1 teaspoon brown sugar – or to taste

Pour Irish whiskey into a coffee mug. Fill with black coffee and brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Spray a generous amount of whipped dessert topping (the canned, pressurized topping is easiest to use) on top of the coffee. Trickle creme de menthe to form green stripes on the whipped topping and place the cherry on top. Serve immediately.

[b] Bailey's Original Irish Cream[/b]

1 cup Light cream
1 14-oz can Eagle sweetened
Condensed milk
1 2/3 cups Irish Whiskey
1 teaspoon Instant coffee
2 tablespoons Hershey’s chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon Almond extract

Combine all the ingredients in a blender set on high speed for 30 seconds.
Bottle in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate.
The liqueur will keep for at least 2 months if kept cool.
Be sure to shake the bottle well before serving. Makes 4 cups.

:wink:

Don’t know much beyond the story of Cú Chulainn.

Now I just have to ask, what in blazes is “fait’ an’ begorrah”?

I know little to nothing about Ireland. -_- But I do know Irish bars pop up wherever you look.

Ireland produced both the DeLorean and cc, so its alright with me.

All I really know about Ireland is that it’s a beautiful place with a lot of political and social problems. But what country doesn’t have those? I would definately like to visit Ireland one day.

Is cac é Éireann!

Okay, first off, the langauge. Most places, it’s English is the first langauge, though a lot of people have a reasonable enough level of Irish, and are willing to speak it in some cases (one example been when you’re abroad, and want to talk about foreigners without them knowing). The term for these places in Irish is Galltacht, because that’s what the English used to be called here, na Gall. There’s a big move to keep people speaking it, and it seems to be working well enough, the language certainly isn’t dead, they have new words for new things.

There are also places where Irish is the first language spoken with English been the second language, and many of them run courses for people to come to become more fluent in the language, or at least more confident in the use of what they know of it. The name for a place like this is a Gaeltacht.

Oh, and sometimes you can know people who’ll speak Irish by a broach they where, either a silver or gold shaped ring, just in case you’re curious. >>

Bertie Ahern is thinking how best he can stay in power for another four years, same as every other politician, ever.

I don’t really have any famous Irish bands that grate on me and I don’t know about the spitting thing. >>

I’m an O’Leary, so if you’re referring to the name, it’s not dead and gone. << I assume though, that you’re talking about Michael O’Leary, well, he’s probably going to retire from leading Ryanair, but I doubt that’ll be the end of him (though it might be from the public eye <<).

And there’s always an Irish bar everywhere because it’s a popular…idea about the culture of Irish bars that they’re better than others. That’s really all there is to it. >>

Humour test passed with flying colours Cavel :wink: Thanks for the info. I like the sound of O’Leary. Must be the L and the r. I find it weird that all these ringbearers walk around unnoticed.

This seems the best way to brush up on your language skills. Unless you try to speak English.

The cocktails and poems are always welcome. I may have in my list of foreign sayings a few Irish ones.

The ringbearers don’t go unnoticed…it’s just that there aren’t that many. There are only certain ways to get the gold one (you can buy the silver in shops <<) but I think the main one is been a member of certain Irish speakers organisation or earning one at a Gaeltacht…which is where I got mine. :slight_smile:

There called silver/gold ‘fainne’ pronounced ‘fanya’ which means ring. I didn’t know you could buy silver ones but that might just be down south. I got mine few weeks ago but it wasn’t easy. You can only get a gold one once you’re fluent in Irish. Oh and the rings are titchy so they would go unnoticed :slight_smile:

Oh and Irish isn’t compulsary in the north in some schools. In my school you only have to do it for a year but then you cant get the silver ring. We had to learn 70 questions and answers off by heart and then the teacher asked us about 20 and we had to get 16 or more right.

<3 The Cranberries.

Finlay is from Ireland, and he LOVES to fight. He’s a Fighting Bastard, but don’t call him that to his face

The Pogues (originally Pogue Mahone until the record company figured out what that meant and refused to sign them under that name) is one of my all time favourite bands, and Shane McGowan is the most fucking brilliant poet ever to probably drink himself to death. Given the number of brilliant poets who have drank themselves to death, that’s saying something. Flogging Molly is a good band, the Whiskey Rebels are excellent (although those bastards don’t import a damn thing to the states, so I have to bootleg everything I want), and so no, Irish bands absolutely do not grate on my nerves. Well, Irish punk bands don’t, which are mostly what I’m familiar with.

Oh, and as for the spitting thing, yeah, people still do that sometimes, and no, I have no idea why. I’ve asked. I get a ‘damn kids hanging out in the scene when they don’t know what they’re fucking doing’ look in reply, so I pretty much figured nobody knows and stopped asking. Also, the tradition of taking off your jacket and waving it like a flag during a sad song (like a lighter in many mainstream concerts) was started by an Irish oi! band who asked the audience to 'those of you with jackets, take ‘em off and wave the black flag for our departed heroes’ before playing a song about the Easter Revolution. I don’t imagine it would matter if you had a brown or green jacket, since it’s the thoguht that counts.

As for Ireland’s politics, they seem to have less problems than a lot of other places, and as Cavelcade said, all politicians care about staying in office. The fact that dublin had (has?) a Jewish mayour when something like 95% of the city is catholic is pretty awesome, though, and I don’t see it ever happening over here in America.

Also, Irish is one of the languages I’m looking at learning once I’m satisfied with Japanese. Irish speakers, how difficult is it to learn, really? Because I still have it and Norweigian up to learn, and want to go the easy way first.

McGowan is on my list then, thanks. Taking off jackets in a concert should be quite a sight. I can think of possible repercussions though.

If I ever get face to face with Finlay I’ll call him a Fighting Bastard and duel with him for 3 days and nights on a mountaintop.

I’m still concerned about the rings/fainne-in-plural. I grew up with the belief that rings are evil. The Ring caused grief to Mr Frodo and all those good and evil people. The Ring causes grief to millions of good men (their wives help there). I think my point is clear.

Oh, I know what they’re called, but saying it would’ve just complicated it for people who didn’t understand Irish. << But yeah, obviously you have to be fluent in Irish to get one, but even then if you’re not part of one of the organisations that are involved in Irish…you’re not going to get one. << Some schools might give em out (obviously any gaelscoil would), but my one doesn’t so the only reason I got mine was that I went to cape Clear Gaeltacht and was fluent enough in Irish. :slight_smile:

And they’re not that unnoticeable, it depends on what you do with it. >>

And Arac, Shane is still alive and still performing even, though the quality is definitly in question…and so far as I know, he’s got some measure of control on his drinking now (though I could well be wrong on this one).

As for political problems, well, the South mightn’t be too bad…but the North is still pretty much royally screwed up, and it’s edging backwards towards totally royally screwed up thanks to the unwillingness of various sides to work together…Shrugs Thems the breaks.

And the fáinne is a broch! It’s not a finger ring! Don’t make me turn this thread around!

Isn’t Ireland that place where the rainbow ends, where the alcohol(ics) roam, and where there be pots o’ gold?
And isn’t Ireland that place where the constitution appends, where the frothy beers foam, and where golf tourneys be hold?

Icham of Irlaunde
Ant of the holy londe
Of Irlande.

Gode sire, pray ich the,
For of saynte charite,
Come ant daunce wyt me
In Irlaunde.

-Anon 14th century

i.e. (try reading the original a few times first)

[SPOILER]I am of Ireland
And of the holy land
Of Ireland.

Good sir, I pray thee,
For the sake of charity,
Come and dance with me
In Ireland.[/SPOILER]