How accurate are the translations?

On the subject of Lufia they really should make #3 already (and no neither hand held game count).

Originally Posted by RoguePaladinTrian
Having a powerful villain fire off “I’m going to nip the flower of humanity in the bud!” in a dramatic moment made me realize WA2’s lack of quality writing.

After reading that, I got a good feeling. <.<

This is going to bug me, so just so I know, are you saying that the dialogue in DQ8 was good? I mean, I can’t remember, I lost interest in the game.

Yes, I thought it was rather good. I’m sure that the great voice work influences that opinion a great deal, though. If it was all simple text, I’m not sure how I’d react.

Actually, Legend Returns was a pretty accurate sequel to Lufia I(chronologically). The main differences were the battle system and the very end, where instead of the Sinistrals being the end bosses, Zalbak was. Other then those two(I’ve been playing through it recently), it’s pretty accurate. Especially how each Lufia game is set in a different section of their Earth(#2 ends with Doom Island going to the East Land, where Lufia I takes place).

Lufia 4 however was…not so good.

The class change system made you a horrible weakling at first and a walking hand of god as you classes and stats went way way way up, and then if you’re like me (Read: sometimes a bit too driven) and you make your lil Cube learn Octostrike and that speed buff…

The final boss could not touch my cube, and my cube is magic-immune. :expressionless:

All I had to do is atk up on my cube and watch it destroy everything. It even evolved into a Gold Cube at one point.

The only character that made Lufia 4 mildly interesting was Dekar who, even with 0 class change ability kicked more ass than anyone but left your party during the story and forced me to use non-interesting people.

The Ancient Cave kinda sucked too…

I personally don’t give a damn about how accurate the translation is to the original and I think people that obsess over it are mentally retarded troglodytes. What ultimately matters is the localization, which is how well you can transfer the meaning of what was said because needing to make Pani Poni Dash style reference books because nothing makes sense if you don’t have all the background on it.

A good ‘translation’ has to make things flow smoothly in the context of what is happening, it has to make sense and it has to be well done enough so that you aren’t dying of embarassment if anyone ever walks into the room while you’re playing at any point in the game.

And on a similar note, DQ8 was very well done.

Sin, I fucking love you.

Yay to Brad Pi-…I mean Sin!!! He has just explained the meaning of when someone finds you going ubernerd. …I need to go do something that will realign my mind back to it’s insanity…Hmm, maybe watching Alice in Wonderland will help…

Zero:…Cubes…Ahh, those little creatures that made some people into experience whores(only one character have I seen outspeed one o’ them in Lufia II and that was the Sky Dragon(master of the Wind CMs)).
Also, I have to say that the Ancient Cave in Lufia II and III is the one area in the game where you can get items that will basically make you invincible for the rest of the game(Mega Ax or Sky Sword+Guy/Dekar=Everything is dead). Ahh, ripping the sinistrals to shreds with Maxim on Wave Motion and Guy with the Sky Sword…Good times, good times…

Originally Posted by Leareth45
Actually, Legend Returns was a pretty accurate sequel to Lufia I(chronologically). The main differences were the battle system and the very end, Spoiler: where instead of the Sinistrals being the end bosses, Zalbak was. Other then those two(I’ve been playing through it recently), it’s pretty accurate. Especially how each Lufia game is set in a different section of their Earth(#2 ends with Doom Island going to the East Land, where Lufia I takes place).

Except that Lufia GBC wasn’t, you know, good. Regardless of the story the gameplay was horrible. One of Lufia 2’s greatest strengths was the devious puzzles strewn about the various dungeons. In tLR they annexed them completely in favor of using rogue-like dungeons, which wouldn’t have been so bad if the game was more rogue-like instead of rogue-lite (i.e. the only thing rogue-like in that game was dungeon layout without r-l danger, r-l speed, or r-l item and trap strategies).

It didn’t help things by using that awful party mechanic wherein you can bring upwards to 9 people into any given battle (try dividing exp nine ways, it isn’t pretty), which sounds great until you learn that you can only get one action per column, which equates to 3 actions per turn, which in of itself isn’t so bad until you learn that despite having 9 people on your team if the front row is wiped out you automatically lose the game, which might be forgivable until you’re hit with a side or back attack and you realize that you can’t change your formation inside of battle (in the case of side and back attacks your team layout is changed so the characters in either the 1st or 3rd columns or the 3rd row are now the front line, and you don’t get anywhere near 9 people until late into the 2nd continent, and enemies always get the initiative in those cases Which means that if the side populated solely by your dainty caster is hit with one of these then you can just kiss your ass goodbye). Which means your party of 9 consists of 3 PCs and 6 targets, and with spells and skills that target rows, columns, or everybody your team is going to be spending most of the fight soaking up damage wherever it can. Though of course all of this only applies to your party enemies still come down on you wave after wave making all those column attacks useless for your characters.

Also I don’t remember ever really rising above ‘lol sinistrals are back lol’, character introduction quests, fetch quest or some combination of the above despite having Dekar on board. ::dekar!::

At least the IP attacks in general weren’t as bad as in RoL. :fungah:

Getting back on topic:

The original translation vs. the fan translation project of Chrono Trigger is a good example of why literal accuracy isn’t the best way to go about translating something (no sense getting literal when you could spend the same time getting the point across in a more interesting and lighthearted way). Or better yet the SuperNES version of FF VI versus the GBA version (sometimes some details are better left unsaid).

Nice review.

Killmore: On tLR, you can change your formation during battle. It’s one of the options. I personally don’t like the battle system of tLR, but if you have that one dog guy and get the secret character you get 5 actions per turn(they do what they want). The Experience isn’t divided into nine parts in tLR also. I’ve spent ample time with each true Lufia game and it has allowed me to learn various stuff. :smiley: Yay to having a shiat load of free time!!!

On the note RoL, I don’t consider it a true Lufia game, even if Dekar is in it.

Back to topic: Chrono Trigger was fun, but I never noticed the speech as I was too busy listening to the awesome music and beating the snot out of enemies(ahh, Frog’s Theme and Magus’s Theme).

FF IV had interesting dialogue, but yet again I kind’ve ignored it for the gameplay. Though the idea of fighting your dark half to become a Paladin was cool.