Horny

I saw the new version of Windows the day before yesterday, Windows Codename Longhorn.

It looks pretty like Windows XP, but with a few things in different places on the interface. Someone who is familiar with one will be able to start operating the other with no problems.

The side bar with the 3D watch of some previously released versions wasn’t implemented in the one I saw. Asides that, everything is still there.

Now, as for the programs behind everything: Codename Longhorn is completely .NET by nature. The windows are coded in XML! Also, the files are saved into your HD via a new system, which stores files like a database. Just think of the possibilities. A simple file search in the disk may be way faster than ever imagined. If you tried that program google released some months ago to keep track of what you got in your hard disks, you know what I mean.

Still, there is one major flaw in the version we got. It’s about resources comsumption. I started the system with only the most basic features, no extras being loaded. The first program I called was the Task Manager… The system was eating up 680 megabytes in the page file. I then checked some programs for memory use. Notepad ate 4.8 mb. The surprise was IE, eating 80 megabytes with no page loaded… Hopefully they’ll improve the system before the release version.

It’s pretty well known that Longhorn will be a massive resource hog. I’m not personally looking foreward to it. From a security point-of-view, I believe it will be quite disasterous. Not even considering the number of disasterous exploits in Windows XP and 2000 systems, Longhorn uses some new authentication meathods which are likely to be quite flawed. The extra 3D everything seems to be a bit of a waste of resources, really. I’d like to use an operating system rather than just eyecandy.

I think the new Filesystem will be nice, but even the new XML system will be potentially disasterous. I think it’d be a lot smarter to wait a few months after it’s out and let the blackhats have a crack at it for awhile before you decide to use it full-time.

Pazort, i believe WinFS has been removed. =\ I think they moved that project onto blackcomb, which is pretty much Microsoft’s graveyard-of-good-ideas-that-will-never-be-finished-in-time-for-a-real-release.

Considering most features that would have made this different from XP have been removed, i’m not really looking forward to it. Besides a new GUI, what does it bring to the table?

WinFS is postponed ( But you can get it already by buying a Macintosh with Mac OS X 10.4 ). And you won’t have to buy Windows Longhorn to get Avalon: It will be available to Windows XP. Difference will be all eye candy.

…and now Longhorn joins it’s compatriots, Syphillis and Service Pack 2.

As a further inconsequential aside, I wonder if the official name will be terminated with a smiley as well. Windows XP, XD, BP, etc.

For the record, I’m using Firefox on XP right now, but only because of my lack of sufficient clue to use Linux exclusively. I’m not planning on getting the next windows, particularly with news of a new filesystem in the works. I’m <a href=“http://www.opensource.org/halloween/”>leery as a matter of principle</a> when Microsoft implements something proprietary.

That is so wrong. But so funny.

They ned to make a 1000GB hard drive. That would be awesome. What comes after Gigabytes?

Terabytes. So a 1024 Gig HD. Which is just insane and unneeded unless you’re a pirate. Arr.

and then?

RAID is your friend.

Striping, or Duplex? And with or without parity?

I can’t wait to get a new customized computer… of course that may take years, but if/when it happens, I’ll be sure to try more than one OS. I’m getting sick of Windows’ instability. In the long run, it tends to get more and more unreliable, until I’m forced to format because of all the accumulated errors. And if the next version of Windows does hog all the system resources, then I may consider learning to use Linux and put an end to that crap.

Why not just do it now? There’s relatively little risk in repartitioning your hard drive; all the danger is in actually <i>using</i> another OS on the same drive as Windows (she doesn’t play well with others).

If you’re lucky enough to have two hard drives that aren’t in a master/slave pair, you can just give one of them to your nixen, as I did with my second 40GB.

linux omgwtf is that wtf nerds. Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue: Yea manus, make the switch man. That or just try out a live distrobution first, to get the feel of things. I’ve got some CDs of ubuntu linux if you don’t want to download it. Hit me up in a PM or something if you’re interested.

I’m using ubuntu right now (waits to get flamed :P), and i’d reccommend that to anyone “just starting out” with linux. I think its better for linux nubs because it has apt. Sure, fedora has RPM, but just being able to apt-get anything (ok, most :P) things you want out of a terminal is great. Especially when you are new and don’t want to have to fuck around with dependencies and all the good stuff.

That or knoppix. Knoppix is great for learning linux, if only because it autodetects just about anything. It is also very stable, and user friendly. If it had apt, i’d reccomend it over ubuntu. Oh, and also if installing it to a harddrive wasn’t freakin’ impossible :stuck_out_tongue:

I like how this topic started out about windows, and i totally derailed it. =( sorry.

Oh yea, whoever asked, petabytes is after terabytes. <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petabytes”>supwikipedia?</a>

As said in the chat, my second goal in life is now to own enough harddrives so I have as close to a yottabyte of disk space as possible.

looks around at everyone with an open mouth

I can’t even begin to understand what everyone is saying…

You’re not missing much :stuck_out_tongue:

Someone said a new version of windows is coming out. Then some people said its going to suck, mainly because it wont have a new way of storing your files. Then big hard drives were brought up. Then linux was brought up. Then we got back on the topic of big hard drives.

Hmmm… if I wasn’t stuck with dialup and a crappy winmodem (at the moment) I would be rid of MS for most everything. I’d have XP set up on a smaller secondary HD for a few games. That’s roughly all it’s good for.

What is a…linux?

Sorry, don’t mean to pollute your thread, Ren!

Its an operating system. Microsoft Windows is your operating system, linux is just another kind. Some people feel its more stable and reliable, and overall better. Some people don’t. Its just an alternative, pretty much.