Homosexual guy up for bishop-hood (or whatever you call it)

Originally posted by Curtis
[b]Well, due to a mistake I thought this priest was Catholic, however I’m still going to talk about the Catholic Church…

My own opinion is that the Catholic Church should get rid of the chastity rule for priests or let them get married, like ministers. That would probably weed out a lot of the child molesters, since a lot of men who become priests(not all, but a lot of them) are repressed homosexuals who end up doing something like molesting little kids because they can’t come to terms with their homosexuality, or whatever.[/b]

Not only homosexuals molest kids. Most child molesters (and i use “most” lightly) are heterosexuals. Child molestation is usually more about power than sexual desire.

Also, very very few priests joined their profession in a targeted effort to get close to kids they could molest. The oppoisite is probably true. Most child molesting priests probably joined because they thought it would be a good environment to keep them from molesting kids. There are child molesters in every single profession in the world, it just comes as a shock to us that there would be priests who molest children because humanity has been instructed to treat them higher than everyone else for ages.

As for St. Paul, first of all, Jesus never said anything about homosexuals never once in the New Testament at all. So Paul (who wrote the vast majority of the NT besides the gospels) is just copying the earlier hebrew scriptures and denouncing anyone that Yahweh had problems with. Paul never actually knew Jesus (he was dead by the time Paul decided to start his religion), so pretty much anything he says is full of shit. Also, the word “homosexual” didn’t exist until the 20th century, so I’m sure whoever wrote that version of the Bible (which was assembled before 400 AD) is as full of shit, if not more so, than Paul. The original Latin or whatever probably is something to the effect of “those who lie down with dogs” or perhaps “those who defile themselves with men”. (oh Paul! you wordsmith you!)

And actually, the passage which makes some Protestants believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven is in Revelation, which is complete alegory about the destruction of the Roman empire, which was torturing and killing Christians and Paulites at the time. The number was arrived at using 12 x 12 x 10, which in hebrew numerology means roughly “a whole fucking lot of people”.

Also, the idea that homosexuals who don’t commit homosexual acts will go to hell anyway is pretty absurd. First of all, most homosexuals don’t choose to be homosexual, and second of all, Jesus was too cool a cat to do that to someone.

>Also, very very few priests joined their profession in a targeted effort to get close to kids they could molest. The oppoisite is probably true. Most child molesting priests probably joined because they thought it would be a good environment to keep them from molesting kids. There are child molesters in every single profession in the world, it just comes as a shock to us that there would be priests who molest children because humanity has been instructed to treat them higher than everyone else for ages.

Yeah. But what I got from the article ‘The Confession of Father X’, is that most child molesting priests become child molesters BECAUSE they’re priests. That is, they don’t enter the priesthood as child-molesters; its a side-effect of the lifestyle and their own repression. They repress homosexual urges, or I guess in some cases heterosexual urges, but then lose control and end up molesting children in a confused need for sexual intimacy.

You’re right that most child molesters are heterosexual, but I think that most priest child molesters are homosexual. It’s my opinion; I’ve already written a lot explaining it. And, quite honestly, I don’t think it’s always about only power.

In case nobody knew, the gay reverend did win the vote for bishop hood.

Yes, I think that an occupation that forces men to be chaste is going to attract a disproportionate amount of sexually disturbed men. Chastity doesn’t automatically cause or isn’t automatically a sign of sexual perversion, but in a lot of people it is/can be, especially when you’re dealing with chastity for life. Stable and resolute men? A stable and resolute man is one who is able to acknowledge his urges yet control them, not a man who pretends that they’re not there. Unfortunately, many priests are homosexuals who joined the priesthood to do precisely that.

Many in what sense? 1.8% does add up to many priests, on a nation-wide scale. What it doesn’t add up to is the distrust that the media has hyped up for the Catholic Church as a whole. It angers me that an organization that exists to help people is suffering, because a small percentage of its members have done terrible things. And people are actually thrilled by the scandal, if not what caused it. Are you Catholic? Do you know what good priests go through, when members of their own parishes start becoming afraid of them? I have some idea, since I’ve talked to them. Parents won’t let their kids go to confession, or spend time alone with priests, because the media has convinced them that priests are child-molesters. I don’t know what I can compare it to. Maybe if you were from a part of China where SARS has been running rampant, and then you visited the United States - and everyone there knew what circumstances you were coming from - and the flinching and glaring and backtracking that people did when they saw you lasted for the rest of your life.

I realize your argument is that this wouldn’t happen, if priests would let go of their old rules about chastity. Perhaps not, but that doesn’t mean they should. Do you know why priests are chaste in the first place? Do you know the theology behind chastity? I’ve heard a little, and it’s very convincing. You’re effectively telling a religion to give up its beliefs because they’re impractical. Your thought process is entirely out of order: beliefs are not subject to practicality, in an honest religion.

[b]A few years ago, Time magazine posted an article called the confession of Father X. I’m providing a link to a messageboard in which the article is posted(its at the very beginning of the thread).

http://forum.catholic-pages.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1378

Father X is only one man, and yet I could easily see how there are many, many men like Father X. Basically, Father X was gay, but he was ashamed of the fact. He thought that by joining the priesthood, he could somehow overcome what he considered to be the demon of his homosexuality, that his new spiritual relationship with god would somehow cleanse, that he could somehow find a noble purpose for his life, since he felt he could never live a normal life due to his homosexuality. Father X became a priest, and guess what? Not only was he still gay, but now he was a priest. Yes, there are some highly worthy men who join the priesthood. But there are also many, many men who join the priesthood because they’re ashamed of who they are, and because they think becoming a priest will somehow make them a better person. [/b]

I don’t doubt that there are many Father X’s out there, hidden secretly in the Church’s hierarchy. But what about Fathers A-W and Y-Z? Should they relinquish their honest chastity, due to Father X’s mistakes? Their beliefs, too? I cannot emphasize enough, that most of these priests want to be chaste, and believe wholeheartedly in the doctrine requiring it. If the burden of their belief causes 1.8% of them to break, should the rest of them drop it? For some priests who already struggle with chastity, the worst thing to hear is somebody encouraging them to let it go.

You say that 98% of priests have never been accused of sexual molesting. First, how many children could have been molested, but haven’t come forward? The percentage of priests who have ACTUALLY molested children could be a lot higher than the percentage that have been accused of it. Second, who says that 2% of accused priests is a low figure? What’s the percentage for protestant ministers who’ve been accused? Jewish rabbis? Muslim imams? etc. 2% could be incredibly high when compared to other religions, and as I just mentioned the percentage of priests who have actually molested children, and not just been accused of it, is a lot higher.

How many children ‘could have been molested’? What kind of question is this? I might ask how many children you could have molested. There’s no answer to this. It merely casts doubt on thousands of people’s reputations, with no reasonable basis. We only know that 1.8% of all American priests have been accused of misconduct. Given the massive sums of money being handed out to victims, I assume that most people would have come forward by now. You said, ‘. . .the percentage of priests who actually molested children. . .is a lot higher.’ Can you prove that? Or are you just stirring up the desire for reform?

If you think 1.8% is a relatively high number of priests, you’re free to prove it, since you’re the one looking for reform. Should you do that, be sure to account for all the people who ‘could have’ accused the priests of past molestation in order to make money, or to discredit the Church. It ‘could be’ that even 1.8% is far too high a number.

Lastly, have you ever thought that some priests molest children simply because of the fact that they’re lonely? That they need some kind of affection that in their confusion they end up molesting some little kid? At the very least, priests should be allowed to marry.

If you never marry, would you like people to think you have a better chance of molesting a child than an ordinary, married person?

I’m sure there are some men who can be strengthened by chastity, but most men aren’t this way, and by allowing priests to at the least get married, you could significantly decrease the amount of molestations. When you take an occupation like the priesthood, you’re going to attract some incredible individuals, but you’re also going to attract a disproportionate amount of fucked up individuals, and when we’re dealing with little kids being molested, you can’t afford to have that many fucked up individuals.

When you’re dealing with God, you can’t afford to throw away your beliefs just because you think you know better. You can’t afford to ignore theology that has been set in stone for hundreds of years, that nearly the whole Church worldwide supports, just because it might be expedient to one cause. Religion isn’t your tool, to accomplish what you think is best. If you really believe in it, then you’ll understand that it’s about bringing people to God, and that it’s His rules, not your ideas about them, that matter.

Xwing1056

Yes, I think that an occupation that forces men to be chaste is going to attract a disproportionate amount of sexually disturbed men. Chastity doesn’t automatically cause or isn’t automatically a sign of sexual perversion, but in a lot of people it is/can be, especially when you’re dealing with chastity for life. Stable and resolute men? A stable and resolute man is one who is able to acknowledge his urges yet control them, not a man who pretends that they’re not there. Unfortunately, many priests are homosexuals who joined the priesthood to do precisely that.

Many in what sense? 1.8% does add up to many priests, on a nation-wide scale. What it doesn’t add up to is the distrust that the media has hyped up for the Catholic Church as a whole. It angers me that an organization that exists to help people is suffering, because a small percentage of its members have done terrible things. And people are actually thrilled by the scandal, if not what caused it. Are you Catholic? Do you know what good priests go through, when members of their own parishes start becoming afraid of them? I have some idea, since I’ve talked to them. Parents won’t let their kids go to confession, or spend time alone with priests, because the media has convinced them that priests are child-molesters. I don’t know what I can compare it to. Maybe if you were from a part of China where SARS has been running rampant, and then you visited the United States - and everyone there knew what circumstances you were coming from - and the flinching and glaring and backtracking that people did when they saw you lasted for the rest of your life.

I realize your argument is that this wouldn’t happen, if priests would let go of their old rules about chastity. Perhaps not, but that doesn’t mean they should. Do you know why priests are chaste in the first place? Do you know the theology behind chastity? I’ve heard a little, and it’s very convincing. You’re effectively telling a religion to give up its beliefs because they’re impractical. Your thought process is entirely out of order: beliefs are not subject to practicality, in an honest religion.

[b]A few years ago, Time magazine posted an article called the confession of Father X. I’m providing a link to a messageboard in which the article is posted(its at the very beginning of the thread).

http://forum.catholic-pages.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1378

Father X is only one man, and yet I could easily see how there are many, many men like Father X. Basically, Father X was gay, but he was ashamed of the fact. He thought that by joining the priesthood, he could somehow overcome what he considered to be the demon of his homosexuality, that his new spiritual relationship with god would somehow cleanse, that he could somehow find a noble purpose for his life, since he felt he could never live a normal life due to his homosexuality. Father X became a priest, and guess what? Not only was he still gay, but now he was a priest. Yes, there are some highly worthy men who join the priesthood. But there are also many, many men who join the priesthood because they’re ashamed of who they are, and because they think becoming a priest will somehow make them a better person. [/b]

I don’t doubt that there are many Father X’s out there, hidden secretly in the Church’s hierarchy. But what about Fathers A-W and Y-Z? Should they relinquish their honest chastity, due to Father X’s mistakes? Their beliefs, too? I cannot emphasize enough, that most of these priests want to be chaste, and believe wholeheartedly in the doctrine requiring it. If the burden of their belief causes 1.8% of them to break, should the rest of them drop it? For some priests who already struggle with chastity, the worst thing to hear is somebody encouraging them to let it go.

You say that 98% of priests have never been accused of sexual molesting. First, how many children could have been molested, but haven’t come forward? The percentage of priests who have ACTUALLY molested children could be a lot higher than the percentage that have been accused of it. Second, who says that 2% of accused priests is a low figure? What’s the percentage for protestant ministers who’ve been accused? Jewish rabbis? Muslim imams? etc. 2% could be incredibly high when compared to other religions, and as I just mentioned the percentage of priests who have actually molested children, and not just been accused of it, is a lot higher.

How many children ‘could have been molested’? What kind of question is this? I might ask how many children you could have molested. There’s no answer to this. It merely casts doubt on thousands of people’s reputations, with no reasonable basis. We only know that 1.8% of all American priests have been accused of misconduct. Given the massive sums of money being handed out to victims, I assume that most people would have come forward by now. You said, ‘. . .the percentage of priests who actually molested children. . .is a lot higher.’ Can you prove that? Or are you just stirring up the desire for reform?

If you think 1.8% is a relatively high number of priests, you’re free to prove it, since you’re the one looking for reform. Should you do that, be sure to account for all the people who ‘could have’ accused the priests of past molestation in order to make money, or to discredit the Church. It ‘could be’ that even 1.8% is far too high a number.

Lastly, have you ever thought that some priests molest children simply because of the fact that they’re lonely? That they need some kind of affection that in their confusion they end up molesting some little kid? At the very least, priests should be allowed to marry.

If you never marry, would you like people to think you have a better chance of molesting a child than an ordinary, married person?

I’m sure there are some men who can be strengthened by chastity, but most men aren’t this way, and by allowing priests to at the least get married, you could significantly decrease the amount of molestations. When you take an occupation like the priesthood, you’re going to attract some incredible individuals, but you’re also going to attract a disproportionate amount of fucked up individuals, and when we’re dealing with little kids being molested, you can’t afford to have that many fucked up individuals.

When you’re dealing with God, you can’t afford to throw away your beliefs just because you think you know better. You can’t afford to ignore theology that has been set in stone for hundreds of years, that nearly the whole Church worldwide supports, just because it might be expedient to one cause. Religion isn’t your tool, to accomplish what you think is best. If you really believe in it, then you’ll understand that it’s about bringing people to God, and that it’s His rules, not your ideas about them, that matter.

Xwing1056

What it doesn’t add up to is the distrust that the media has hyped up for the Catholic Church as a whole. It angers me that an organization that exists to help people is suffering, because a small percentage of its members have done terrible things.

The distrust that the media (and people with common sense) has heaped on the Catholic Church comes from the multiple documented instances where instead of removing priests from their positions for abusing children, the higher-ups simply sent them to new parishes.

Parents won’t let their kids go to confession, or spend time alone with priests, because the media has convinced them that priests are child-molesters.

That is the stupid parent’s fault. Stop using the media as a scapegoat for stupity and poor child-management skills.

Do you know why priests are chaste in the first place? Do you know the theology behind chastity? I’ve heard a little, and it’s very convincing.

There’s really no good reason. All, or atleast most, of the apostles (the founding members of the church) were married.

I cannot emphasize enough, that most of these priests want to be chaste, and believe wholeheartedly in the doctrine requiring it.

Source please. Moreover, if most of the current priests believe in chastity, perhaps that’s why the Church has an immense shortage of priests. (and a growing number of deacons, who are permitted to marry)

Given the massive sums of money being handed out to victims, I assume that most people would have come forward by now.

Don’t forget the ones that have killed themselves or are irreperably damaged.

Religion isn’t your tool, to accomplish what you think is best.

Of course it’s not. That privilege is reserved for churches and Republicans.

The church does not ‘force’ people to become chaste, merely sets it up as a requirement for the priesthood.

You saying they are ‘forced’ is like saying the educational system ‘forces’ people to go through college so they can get Ph.D.'s. It doesn’t, merely sets up a Ph.D. as a requirement to be a professor (or at least top notch professors).

The church didn’t always require chastity, but in the Dark Ages all the unchaste priests got killed off, so priests from monastic orders had to take over… and these monastic orders required celibacy.

Hence, all apostolic succession is through monastic orders requiring chastity therefore, all priests today are required to be perpetually chaste.

Have a nice day!

Originally posted by Silhouette
The distrust that the media (and people with common sense) has heaped on the Catholic Church comes from the multiple documented instances where instead of removing priests from their positions for abusing children, the higher-ups simply sent them to new parishes.

That’s true. The bishops who did this have broken their faith with the people and deserve their distrust. What they don’t account for is the individual distrust that people feel for normal priests. I think it was CNN that said something like, ‘1.8% may not be a very high number; but to gauge this crisis, consider that 95% of all bishops have had to handle accusations against priests in their dioceses.’ That’s a meaningless number to most of the public, who have no idea how many priests are in a diocese ( it varies, and there are more than a hundred in mine ). People will naturally assume that 95% means something big, since it’s a big number. They’ll think of the 95%, and then reflexively distrust individual priests.

Like you say below, it is their fault for believing wrongly. It’s still the media, though, who caused the confusion in the first place. It’s like a stranger giving a teenager poisonous candy and telling him that he can eat it if he wants to. Sure, he’s a teenager and should know better, so it’s partially his fault; but the other person’s still a murderer. The news purposefully hypes up stories, here convincing people that there’s a massive scandal against the entire Church; and people who should know better eat it right up. Their fault? Yes. The media? Its influence resulted in many people being at fault. There’s a Bible verse about people who influence others to do wrong, but probably no point repeating it here.

[b]

That is the stupid parent’s fault. Stop using the media as a scapegoat for stupity and poor child-management skills.

There’s really no good reason. All, or atleast most, of the apostles (the founding members of the church) were married.[/b]

True, some of them were already married when Jesus decided to make them his apostles. He could either find some other people ( why? he knew what he was doing in the first place ) or leave their marriages alone. Similarly, when a married priest from a branch of Christianity close to Catholicism converts, he remains a married priest - in the Catholic Church. I think there’s one in my diocese. Anyway, these are the ‘special cases’, and their circumstances are similar to the Apostles’.

The bases for the things priests do come from more than the Apostles. They come from Jesus. Jesus was not married. It’s been said that his bride was the Church. Priests, performing Jesus’ roles on Earth until he returns, do not marry. I’m not knowledgeable enough to say much more with authority. There are explanations all over the internet, if you’re interested in learning more about it.

Source please. Moreover, if most of the current priests believe in chastity, perhaps that’s why the Church has an immense shortage of priests. (and a growing number of deacons, who are permitted to marry)

My source? Thirty plus priests whom I’ve personally heard talking about it, from various parts of the country and the world. One who told me directly what he has to deal with as chaplain of a Catholic college.

If it’s chastity that’s causing the shortage of priests, then why was the priesthood flourishing, say, a hundred years ago? I think the reason there are fewer priests is that people in general are less religious. I’ve thought about another reason, too. The image of the priest as most modern people encounter it - even in Catholic schools, I know from experience - is being dilluted by theologians who care more about being progressive than being Catholic. Most people in my high school class graduated thinking priests were basically nice guys who could say Mass. They figured that, hey, they can be nice too, so why become priests? Nine out of ten couldn’t have defined what a Catholic Mass was ( a sacrifice ), or the priest’s critical role in it ( to act in Jesus’s stead during the transubstantiation of the Eucharist ). As long as the priesthood is, in their eyes, no more than a vague equivalent of being a good, religious person, they won’t be attracted to it.

Don’t forget the ones that have killed themselves or are irreperably damaged.

True. On the other hand, don’t forget the priests in that 1.8% who were falsely accused.

Of course it’s not. That privilege is reserved for churches and Republicans.

If you’d look at modern, Catholic literature, you’d realize that Democrats and liberals have been far more invasive in reshaping the faith. Wishy-washy nonsense about social justice, communal living, and feminism, of all things, doesn’t come from Republicans. Yet it was all in my religion textbook last year. I’m not interested in the rarer Republican version of Catholicism either, which is like merciless capitalism under God’s blessing. It’s very uncommon, though, so I don’t worry about it as much.

Xwing1056

edit: Erasing double post.