Hi ho, Hi ho, It's back to school I go... (ACT questions!)

I got two years left in the Navy, and plan on attending K-State starting the fall semester of 2009.

One of the admissions criteria is a recent ACT examination, so I’ve been studying quite a bit (I actually bought a review course from the Princeton Review, was expensive but good stuff so far). I know most of you guys have already done the college thing, so I figured I’d ask - on every practice test I’ve done so far I score between 30 and 32. The minimum to get in is only a 24 but will doing better make it easier when I put my app in next year? Will scoring high make it easier to get scholarships?

Thanks!

Yeah, it looks better if you score higher on the ACT or SAT than they recommend. Just because the minimum is 24 doesn’t mean they’ll let you in just because you got that. Alot of scholarships have a minimum score, too – but more often than not that’s just to qualify to apply in the first place.

Are you stationed on the Midway?

30-32’s not bad at all. 33 is the average at motherfucking Harvard (I beat their average by one point, losers), so, I mean 32’s really quite all right.

An ACT score of 30-32 will get you in and get you scholarships, at schools at least as good as Kansas State. A better score will always get you more in this case.

Also, I’ve taught the ACT for the last couple years at the Princeton Review. What’s your section breakdown been like, if you don’t mind my asking?

Eng.: 30
Math: 29
Read.: 34
Sci.: 36
Essay: 10

Thanks for the info - got one unit left in my review course, probably start on it tommorrow.

I got 6 billion on the ACT

Then you are one fine ACTor! OHOHOHOHO!

I know most of you guys have already done the college thing, so I figured I’d ask - on every practice test I’ve done so far I score between 30 and 32. The minimum to get in is only a 24 but will doing better make it easier when I put my app in next year? Will scoring high make it easier to get scholarships?

I would say, most definitely. You can’t underestimate the importance colleges place on SATs and ACTs. I was an inconsistent student in high school, but did well on my SATs. As a result I got into a good school; was able to transfer to another good school; and after flunking out was still able to go to an even better school. If you ask me, if anything colleges put too much emphasis on things like SATs and ACTs. Also, you should take the SATs in addition to the ACT.

One last note, you’ll probably do better on the test than you do on the practice tests. This was true for me; it must have been all the practice tests germinating in my mind or something.

Everyone knows it only goes up to 36 billion.

Got my results back today (online, probably get the mailed ones in a week or two).

Test Type: National

Test Option: ACT PLUS WRITING Printer-friendly version

This is not an official ACT score report and is intended only for your informational use.

Composite Score : 32
Subject Test Score

(1–36) Subscore

(1–18)
ENGLISH 34
Usage/Mechanics 17
Rhetorical Skills 17
MATHEMATICS 28
Pre-Algebra/Elem. Algebra 17
Algebra/Coord. Geometry 13
Plane Geometry/Trig. 15
READING 30
Social Studies/Sciences 18
Arts/Literature 11
SCIENCE 36
Subject Test Score

(1–36) Subscore

(2–12)
COMBINED ENGLISH/WRITING 31
Writing 08
Comments on Your Essay:Your essay adequately supported general statements with specific reasons, examples, and details. Your essay maintained focus on the specific issue in the prompt.

Thanks for the tips for those that gave me some :).