Hey Igatona, check it!

It isnt full 360, but it does have a damn smooth rotation. The buttons are clickity-awesome and spaced just right for my fingers. The artwork, as you can see, is badass. It works with both PS2 and Xbox (with a memory card port in the base for Xbox).

In short, its better than the Pelican ones and probably compairable to the Xarcade stuff. Still not a custom stick, but I’m happy!

Where can you buy that?

Its an EB exclusive. Luckily, I was back home in KY and we only have an EB at my mall. While there, I was discussing digipen and stuff with the guys who work there and I saw it behind the counter. The guy told me it was being held for someone but they had one in the back that was still boxed up from shipment. The guy was so awesome he started doing his shipment right then and there so he could open the box and sell it to me.

It was $60 though. Steep, but same price as the pelican one and alot better.

Pretty much every EB around me has about 3 or 4 of those. I considered buying one, but I’m not really good with an arcade stick. I’d only end up using it for Gradius.

Heh, i used to play beatmania on one of those, back in the day when i couldn’t afford a real controller. My brother got one for SvC chaos.

How could you use that in place of a controller!?
Or is it just your usual emulatron?

Ninten:cool:

Nice, nifty, I’m jealous, want one…

Yeah, standard reaction. Besides, Perfect 360 are annoying, because of the precision needed to perform moves. Ultimate Championship sticks are better in my opinion.

Easily, most fighting game players who are even borderline serious about competition will agree that arcade sticks are completely superior to controllers as far as control potential. I love gamepads, but they are too limiting for the reaction time needed to win in tournaments, thus I train with a stick.

Ultimate Championship sticks eh… hmm, perhaps you could link? Or better yet, I’ll use the mighty www.gewgle.com!

Whoa, that’s not entirely true. Since arcades in the U.S are becoming less popular and prevalent, it’s actually a lot harder to find arcade stick action here. Even Evolution, the biggest fighting game tourney in the United States, has moved pretty much all, if not all of their tournaments to consoles. Even ones that have no arcade perfect port, like Street Fighter Alpha 3, are being played on console by means of a modded XBox and an arcade emulator.

Beyond that, it really is all a matter of opinion. I can hang on both, but I am tons better on a controller cos it’s just less movement and less distance. There are tons of little combos I could never do on an arcade stick. For example:

Zangief: Standing Short XX Final Atomic Buster
Rose: Jumping Forward -> Crouching Fierce XX Aura Soul Throw
Guy: Knee Throw into Bushin Hasso Ken
Dan: Short Dan Ku Kyaku juggle into Koryurekka

…And pretty much any other combo that requires you to cancel a very short move into a move with a long motion. I’m sure many people can pull that off on an arcade stick; that’s nice. I think it’s easier on a PS2 controller, or an XBox controller, or a SuperNintendo Controler…hell, even a Dreamcast Controller. :stuck_out_tongue:

But, since on a controller, you simply just don’t need to move nearly as much or as far as an arcade controller, it is kind of ridiculous to state from a logical stance that arcade joysticks are superior. Perhaps it might be EASIER to use an arcade stick for someone (I will say that I have trouble playing crossover games without an arcade stick), but that’s really about it.

I’d say that using your thumb is more restricting than your whole arm, but thats cause I have had to train myself to use my whole arm to draw as opposed to my wrist for the exact same reason (restriction of movement).

Its also all about what you are brought up on, and yes, some people are far better with a pad than they ever would be with a stick. But sticks have the advantage of being forced to use your whole arm (which provides more freedom to move) than trying to perform as well with one’s thumb.

But like I said, this is about player training, not about player preference. Preference would have a pad in my hand easily, cause thats what I’m used to. And of course, I perform better. Although, the arm has far more freedom of movement than the thumb does, which can also be a problem for those who arent proficient enough in arcade sticks (and thus would view it as “harder” to do) but I know that with training, my potential with a stick is far higher than my potential with a pad, I’d just have to practice (like with all motor skills, practice makes perfect).

Peh, I bet you just like arcade sticks better because you’re the kind of person who always crowds the other player whenever you’re playing on an arcade box.

To me, it sounds like a matter of personal philosophies based on training in other things. You have been trained that using your whole arm is better, for example…

But for me, I do music. In drums, a HUGE mistake that a drummer can make in the beginning is using his arms to drum. You’re taught to use just your wrists, and then to use your fingers. Eventually, you’re barely moving at all? The reason? Extraneous movement makes it hard and tiring to play quickly.

If you ask ANY good musician, they will tell you that the true key to speed and clarity is to not waste ANY movement at all. If you watch a really, really good guitarist play an incredibly awesome lead, they will look very casual as they do it; it’s almost as if they are playing something absurdly easy, like one note over and over again. If you just watched him with no sound, you would probably guess that he is playing something very easy. The TRUTH is, he is moving in a way that cuts out ANY extraneous movement so that he has as much time to move to the next frets and play the notes as he can possibly give himself. If you want proof, try it yourself; see how fast you can drum on your desk with your fingers, and then compare it to your wrists. And then, compare it to your arms. See which one is the fastest?

This philosophy holds true to me when I play Street Fighter. You’re going to have to be ship-shape and precise. You don’t have an option to WASTE time with any body movement. Your philosophy would work well with drawing, I agree; this is because you don’t have to draw things within short time constraints. The same holds true in Street Fighter. When you’re in training mode or something, you can afford to take your time with movement and such, because you’re not being FORCED to act quickly; however, play anyone worth their salt at a fighting game, and you’re gonna want every last millisecond you can get.

In a fighting game, you’re FORCED to react. Matches only last 99 seconds. You only have so much time to do something, or lose. You are going to cause your opponents to have to react to what you do, and in turn, they are going to cause you to react to them. You’re going to want to do it as quick as possible. You only have a short time to catch someone with a Shinryuken when they jump over you…or if they whiff a crouching attack (let’s say a medium attack), you only have a window of less than a second to capitalize on your opponent’s move. How are you going to take advantage of it?

I am going to take advantage of it by being sure I can react as quick as I can, with the least amount of movement possible. Not only is the distance needed to do a Spinning Pile Driver likely to be at LEAST 2-3 times farther on an arcade lever than a Direction pad, but you would need to move more of your body to do it. You will likely never be able to do an SPD on an arcade lever with just your fingers, and IMAGINE how sloppy it would be to try and do it with just your wrists! This means you’ll have to use the ‘slowest’ of the three muscles here: your arm. Do you see the milliseconds just adding up?

If an arcade stick is one’s preference, then that is fine. But, personally, I just don’t see how an arcade stick is better in the long run. Less precision, more lever movement compared to d-pad movement, making it slower in the long run; and it requires more muscles to achieve the most precise movements. When it comes down to the final attack of the match, and a person with a quick, short jump and long ranged air attacks like Vega or M. Bison decides to jump at me, and I need to counter it with a Bushin Hasso Ken or meet my match, I’m gonna breathe a sigh of relief knowing that at Evo, we’re not using arcade sticks. The end.

D-pads are faster, yes, but far more restrictive. You need to be a whole lot more precise when doing your moves on a d-pad than on a stick, because the stick offers a whole lot more leeway.

And as far as the stick goes, it’s always the wrist. ALWAYS. If you use your arm, there’s a whole lotta stuff you’re cutting yourself from.

Unfortunately we do, most of the time in our life drawing sessions, were forced to draw gesture poses of nude models in under 15 seconds. We use our whole arm so that our range of movement on the page isnt restricted.

And while all of what you said is a good explaination to why one would want to play with a pad, I simply must ask you this:

Why do the top evo players use sticks if pads are better? Watch last years videos and if you notice all the people in line, nearly every one of them has brought a custom stick.

How so? I’ve always found it to be quite the opposite. Not trying to be diffucult, I’m seriously wondering how a D-Pad requires any more precision if you have to do the exact same motion on both. I don’t get it.

Because they probably learned the game on an arcade stick (remember that games are often out on arcade for a while before they reach consoles, so if a player is lucky enough to have an arcade with their favored game and some competition, they’re GONNA learn it on an arcade stick), and because playing on arcade cabinets was the norm until last year. It actually still is, to my knowledge; I think Evo is the only tournament that uses consoles. I know that Super Battle Opera (the big one in japan) uses arcade cabinets, still.

Then I think I may be phrasing what I mean incorrectly. If you use “just” the motion of your thumb (as with a D-Pad) you are unable to complete the even range of motion that you have access to with your arm (primarily wrist as you say).

I say arm because you are still using some of the muscles in your forearm to complete those motions that are “wrist only”.