Hewlett-Packard just lost a whole lot of my respect...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3383253.stm

Yes, I know this is about 4 days old, but I’m still betting most people here haven’t seen it…

The reason they lost my respect? This paragraph sums it up nicely:

And she claimed that the way entertainment is ‘created, distributed, managed and consumed’ is changing forever, in ways that highlight ‘the power of democracy’, and are about ‘giving power the people.’

Then she went and spoiled it all by committing HP to putting digital rights management software in every one of its consumer devices, encrypting any recorded content stored on HP systems so that it can’t be transferred to other computers or players, stopping people copying their old videos to DVD, and even making sure that HP home computers can’t record broadcast television programmes.

God. DAMN. IT! >_< When will those companies learn?

So, in order to stop those fuckers that download everything and don’t actually pump money into the economy, everyone gets screwed. I doubt it’ll last long, though; this also screws over so many other computer-related businesses that they’ll get bashed, flamed, and raped more than usual.

They had a lot of your respect to begin with?

Originally posted by d Galloway
So, in order to stop those fuckers that download everything and don’t actually pump money into the economy, everyone gets screwed.

Oh stop it, you’re flattering me.

Yar: Well, I’ve had a HP machine before, it’s still working 6 years after I got it, and I haven’t replaced any of the original components. That’s quality stuff for you.

And the fact that they’re one of the biggest companies involved in the Linux industry… Yeah. I had a bit respect for them. =P

: Mr. Singing Smilie sings ‘I say one thing, then I say the opposite. LaLaLa.’

Not that saying one thing, and then saying the opposite is anything new. Even remotely new.

HP down, Creative up!

Well… I know there are other companies selling CD-burners besides HP and Creative, but I only know those two.

Originally posted by Wertigon
And the fact that they’re one of the biggest companies involved in the Linux industry…

I figured Linux’d be involved somehow. :wink: