Help with getting Translation Patchs to work

Yes! Call me an idiot but quite a few patches are giving me hell and a half to work. I was wondering if this would be a good place to ask for a little assitance with getting these things to work.

What’s your specific question?

You can either apply patches manually using a program like SNESTool, or if your emulator supports soft patching (like Zsnes), put the ROM and the patch in the same directory, with the same name (like dq5.smc and dq5.ips). I usually prefer the former, but either way should work.

Oh that’s been done. What’s bugging me is that many roms after patching no longer work. Now this is rather fishy since by all accounts they should work, not just because the patch makers say so, but because given the screen shots I’ve seenaround they work for other people.

You may be patching ROMs without headers when they should have headers or vice versa. Try using SNESTool to add/remove the header and trying again.

Also, which patches are you talking about? I might be able to help you better if I know specifics.

Hmm there’s a thought and a half worth trying. But since you asked. I’ll give a couple examples.

Tenchi Muyo RPG
Bastard!

Any advice?

The readme in the Bastard!! translation explicitly warns about needing an uncorrupt ROM with a header, so make sure there’s a header on your ROM, and if it still isn’t working, chances are your ROM is bad, so try downloading it from somewhere else.

Tenchi Muyo probably has a similar issue.

Okay so this brings me to another question? Is there anyway to tell if a rom has it’s header and is uncorrupted, besides patching and seing if it works?

<a href=“http://donut.parodius.com/utilities/smc.com”>SMC.COM</a> is a wonderful program that will tell you whether or not a ROM has a header and if it has a good checksum, among many many other things. It’s a DOS command-line program, but don’t let that deter you. :slight_smile:

Well Thanks to all SMC has cleard up the problem with Bastard and Tenchi. I’m going to try it for the others. Thanks for all the info and advice.