Have you noticed this?

And like Cid said, as long as the other characters are not avaible due to story reasons. Like the group going to separate locations.

Other than that, you could switch them at save points.

Has Any once noticed Wantz board Both Ships going Kilika and then Luka near the begining of the game? You can’t Chat to him too! He runs off before you can get close.

Big Nutter

BigNutter: That had absolutely, positively nothing to do with the current conversation.

He takes a picture of you, too. Remember when you leave the Travel Agency in the Thunder Plains?

Moving back on topic… how does everyone feel about games where your party NEVER changes?

I kinda liked Earthbound, and your party never really changes up in that game. They did toss in the occasional “secondary” character like DungeonMan or Bubble Monkey, and Paula gets kidnapped for a bit but nothing really dramatic happens to your party.

Didn’t really matter in that game though, as the characters didn’t really have much in the “personality” department anyways.

I really prefer games where I get to choose who is my party, at least in certain occasions. Best of all are those games that let you change your party in mid-combat, like FFX. It’s more realistic, and lets you vary the game somewhat when you replay. Of course, having characters join or leave the as story demands it is also cool… as long as they don’t take away the equipment you gave them!

I think having a party that nver changes can be good, if you only have a small team of three anyway.

But if it fits with the plot, I don’t care whether the party changes or stays the same.

This is why I usually prefer games with just NPCs like Call of Duty where they help and you can help them, and they’re not useless, or just yourself like Hitman: Codename 47 or Silent Assassin. I did prefer the old school way of 4-5 people and you lose/add characters as you went along, but the experience points were uneven in those games, esp. FF6. There were way too many characters in that game, and Mog, Umaro, and Gogo were useless to me. FPSs (Call of Duty, Day of Defeat, HL), RTSs (Command & Conquer, Starcraft, Dune, Warcraft), and games like Hitman or Max Payne are still my faves, but I’ll always have love for the RPG.

Umaro is a meat-tank and Gogo can use any ability in the game… hardly useless, especially when you split up into three parties at the end. Mog isn’t FANTASTIC, but is at least as good as Cyan and probably much better than Relm. I did enjoy NPCs in Fallout and and Fallout 2, the ones that just kinda follow you around and blow the crap outta stuff.

Well I may sound like an idiot for writing this but I like all FF characters. I agree some are better than others but without them you wouldn’t have a story. They make the game interesting which is why I like Paladin’s Quest so much. You had basically more than 6 dozen mercenaries that you could hire throughout the story. Some were better in magic, and others for combat. The gameplay wasn’t great but the mercenaries were awesome. I love a game where you can hire or have a lot of different charcters. That goes for FF3/6 too so many characters to choose from!