Has this ever happened to you?

(First off before I start, I’m going to shamelessly plug the lastest episode of Get Wise, so all my dozens and dozens of fans out there, go read it)

Anyways, off to the real reason of this thread. Have any of you been hit in the rib area at an incredible force that you have trouble breathing? I’m just wondering if it would be normal to have breathing troubles after being hit there, even about 2 hours from when it happened.

What had happened was that I was playing softball, playing 2nd base, when the guy on first was trying to steal 2nd. I went to recieve that throwdown from the catcher, which ended up low, so I had to get down to get it. I went to make the tag, still crouching down and facing him, when he slides at a good speed, feet first, right into my upper rib area. The force causes me to lose the ball, and for the rest of the game, I had a hard time breathing, but I had to continue else we’d be short a 2nd baseman.

Anyways, I’m not asking for anything… I’m just asking if this is something I should keep an eye on, or if it is something that should go away.

Yeah, that happened to me once at a rock concert. It’s probably just a cracked rib, go easy on it for a little while and it’ll be ok, it’s no big deal.

It’s called getting the wind knocked out of you, and it usually does casue some lingering pain and troubled breathing for a while. Now if it doesn’t go away after a few hours or even a day, I’d get it checked out, because you’d probably have a brused or cracked rib.

A bruised or cracked rib may cause some slight problems if the pain lingers a few days after. If you taste any blood in your mouth anytime soon, you’d best head to a doctor.

I’ve done that quite a few times. Although, most of the time it’s from me falling on my ass from a high place, or messing around on my bike or rollerblades, trying new tricks, etc. ; p Though, I just force myself to breath normal for a while, and the pain goes away.

Just take it easy Orak. My brother and sister have trouble breathing a lot. They just relax, take deep breathes (if you can) and don’t get too excited (that’ll be hard). Hope you get better…:too bad;

Good advice. I have had the wind knocked out of me from time to time, and it does go away after a while. But like they said, if it continues, get it checked out.

Yeah, you did just get the wind knocked out of you, although like they said watch the ribs.

I think the medical explanation is something along the lines of having enough force exerted on your lungs to expel whatever air you had. This is bound to cause some sort of temporary trauma.

For how long did the pain and breathing problems last?

For how long did the pain and breathing problems last?

Well, I got hit around 7:30 PM last night, and the breathing problems lasted until I got to sleep around 12:00. Though a few times during the night I was gasping for breath.

Right now I’m feeling fine though. My breathing is normal, but my rib area is still sore.

I’d get it checked out Orak. I don’t know anything about getting punched (I’m just lucky I guess), but I always says it’s better to be safe then sorry.

I get the wind knocked out of me all the time from football. It takes a little bit on a recovery time, but it’ll go away the next two hours or so. As far as cracked ribs, no. But I have had bruised ribs.

when I was 6 I was hit so fiercely by a flying soccer ball on the middle of the chest that I knocked back. I couldn’t move for a few minutes and had trouble breathing.

But as I grew up I grew some resistance, and throughout my teens I was hit in the ribs in a lot and never felt anything like that anymore.

I had a silimar thing happen to me around that age, but it was a kickball.

I’ve taken shots to the ribs before (catching a football right in the ribs many times), but nothing compared to the shot I got from this speed demon’s foot as he slid into 2nd base… all I can say is that I’m glad he wasn’t wearing spikes.

I have had the wind knocked away once. Slid on some ice and landed on my back: I had huge problems breathing for the following ten - fifteen minutes. Not a cosy experience.

If it has lasted for as long as you say, I’d reccomend the same several has done before me: Go see a doctor.

like I said, I can breathe fine now… it’s just my rib area is a little sore… no biggie.

Originally posted by Orakio
like I said, I can breathe fine now… it’s just my rib area is a little sore… no biggie.

Quite a few have said that before you. THEN THEY HAD A VISIT<a href=“mailto:meaning, they died.”>.</a>

Originally posted by Nulani
Quite a few have said that before you. THEN THEY HAD A VISIT<a href=“mailto:meaning, they died.”>.</a>

From you? or Death?

Actually, I’ve never seen you and the Grim Reaper in the same room together… -__-

Originally posted by Pierson
From you? or Death?

Isn’t Nulani like, death?

Incarnate? Could be…