Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Thoughts and Review

The fourth movie is planned to become the most expensive movie EVER. So perhaps J.K. can spare some of her fortune into making it a four hour movie. I don’t know if ya’ll noticed, but the new movie was considerably shorter than the rest, clocking in around 2 hours. 15min.

I’m guessing the CGI department was overworked as it was, so they let props take up some of the slack.

I also wonder how they’re going to pull off all the disaggreements over dress at the Quiddich World Cup in #4.

Yeah, but they didn’t enter the class with her, so they’d probably be oblivious to her arrival anyway.

And some of the goading from Harry’s aunt before he expanded her were cut as well. Can’t say I agree with it. Furthermore, the prescence of The Grim is initially a little less effective, as they don’t stay entirely faithful to what happens afterward. Remember? Harry pulls his wand, trips over his luggage and is almost Aunt Jemima’d by the Knight Bus. It’s part of his rationalization later on that leads him to take Sirius for The Grim

As Cala said: People sat still for <i>Titanic</i>, and I might add, <i>Once Upon a Time in America</i> (4 hours I’m told, 8 in the Director’s Cut] before that.
[EDIT] And LOTR as well, can’t forget them. Sure, the Tolkien fanbase is more solidly established than Rowling’s by way of seniority, but even so, HP’s mass appeal is definitely greater.[/EDIT]
[EDIT2]Damn apostrophes…[/EDIT2]

Just saw it last night. In IMAX. It was a decent movie, but with the increasing length of the books, the amount of material they need to leave out is starting to affect the plot. Only little things, like howSirius knew that Scabbers was Peter Pettigrew. How Snape knew where Lupin was, or how Lupin knew that Harry and co. were headed for the shrieking shack, but that takes away from the story. I don’t mind so much that they left out the Quidditch games; I wasn’t overly impressed with how they were done anyway.

Like other people said, the movie missed out on the characterization of Sirius, Remus, James, and Peter when they where in school. It also fails to inform you as to why Lupin knew about the map if you hadn’t read the books.

The one thing that really bugged me, even though it’s quite trivial, is that when you see the casting of the Patronus again, the deer isn’t there. We saw it from Harry and Sirius’ side of the lake, why not from the side it was cast?