Happy Mole Day!

Oh, this is just so beautiful that I have to share it. We were doing presentations today, and one guy’s is full of stupid mole puns. One of the ones he uses is “Mister Smith” (Mi -> Mole), our chem teacher.

Did he, now?

Originally posted by Jenova’s Witness
[b]I thought it was 6.023 x 10^23. Oh well, whatever. It’s been a month since we first studied moles, and I’m usually lazy and just use 6.02 x 10^23…

Anyways, yeah, my chem teacher had Happy Mole Day written on the board today, but we really didn’t do anything on it. That’s probably because we had a test that took the whole period, but whatever… [/b]

NO! YOU ARE BOTH WRONG! ITS ELEVENTY TWELVE! WERENT YOU PAYING ATTENTION IN CLASS? DETENTION!!!1!!11!11!one!

Originally posted by Megaman984
[b]Well, today (for me) is October 23, a date celebrated in many high schools as Mole Day. Why you ask? Good question.

In chemistry, a mole is, as my understanding goes, just a number that represents the amount of a substance that contains as many atoms, molecules, ions, or other elementary units as the number of atoms in 0.012 kilogram of carbon 12. The number is about 6.022 × 10^23. I’m sure Sin will come in with some fancy schmancy big ol’ “I’s Gots Mes Ans Sciences Majors” and explain it more in depth.

Anyway, why October 23? Well, it could be June 2, but that wouldn’t work since most students aren’t in school then. It was decided that October 23 would be a better date due to the 10 ^ 23 part and that more students would be in school. It’s just Chemistry’s ripoff of Pi Day. It’s generally presented with fancy “A mole of so and so stuff would cover some such distance” lists. I’ve never found one about a mole of moles, so I’m mad.

Anyway, Happy Mole Day everyone! [/b]
You’re a nerd.

Screw you, hippie. Go back to your rocks for jocks.

it’s called Geoscience and Public Policy thankyouverymuch

(yes I actually took a course called that my freshman year in college. It was banal.)

Scientist: Happy mole day!
Gemini: I don’t see a mole.
Scientist: It’s 6.022 x 10 ^ 23!!!
Joey: Isn’t that Avogadro’s number?
Scientist: USE IT FOR MOLAR MASS!
Gemini: What’s molar mass?
Scientist: IT’S USED IN CHEMISTRY!!!

Anyway, happy 6.022 x 10 ^23 day.

I have never heard of this “holiday” if you will. But none the less, happy mole day to whomever is aware it exists…

moleday.org
My teacher had given us extra credit if we printed something from this page and if we knew the jokes…She was very fanatical thursday when we walked into class.

The scary thing is I think I’ve seen that site before.

Man
All the annoying girls in my French class were overdoing the whole Mole Day thing.