Happy Mole Day!

Well, today (for me) is October 23, a date celebrated in many high schools as Mole Day. Why you ask? Good question.

In chemistry, a mole is, as my understanding goes, just a number that represents the amount of a substance that contains as many atoms, molecules, ions, or other elementary units as the number of atoms in 0.012 kilogram of carbon 12. The number is about 6.022 × 10^23. I’m sure Sin will come in with some fancy schmancy big ol’ “I’s Gots Mes Ans Sciences Majors” and explain it more in depth.

Anyway, why October 23? Well, it could be June 2, but that wouldn’t work since most students aren’t in school then. It was decided that October 23 would be a better date due to the 10 ^ 23 part and that more students would be in school. It’s just Chemistry’s ripoff of Pi Day. It’s generally presented with fancy “A mole of so and so stuff would cover some such distance” lists. I’ve never found one about a mole of moles, so I’m mad.

Anyway, Happy Mole Day everyone!

H9 mole day. Stupid mole day project. We don’t even learn anything from it.

Mole Day is the bomb. I can’t wait to dance around the Mole Tree in my Mole Suit and pass out the candied Moles.

So my Chenistry teacher didn’t completely make it up for an excuse to see how well we sew.
I had Helium for the project.

A mole killed an english king, wait wrong type of mole

Once in an online RP, I had to fight a mad scientist whose army consisted of a mole (the number) of moles (the rodent).

Uh… Don’t know what you’re talking about (/me sucks at chemistry), but it’s a reason to have fun!

adds Mole Day to my list of holidays, just below Vampire’s Day

Basically

1 mole of Substance X will weigh Substance X’s atomic weight in grams.

lol I guess there’s a holiday for everything now. I laughed when my teacher told me it was National Metric Week cause it had the date 10/10. What will they come up with next?

National Metric Week also lasts for 10 days. 10 Metric days.

The people taking the Natural Science Programme in Sweden are known for their terrible humour. I was talking to one of them and got confirmation that this is not only a rumour. One of their favourite jokes was to point at a bread crumb and say “I wonder how many mole that is!”

hands out apples

how many mole is a mole?

I find this offensice ;_;
has a mole ala Austin Powers 3 right in the same place

My high school chemistry teacher made a big deal out of Mole Day too. On a similar note, I kinda like the show “The Mole”.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Hayes
I find this offensice ;_;
has a mole ala Austin Powers 3 right in the same place

Wrong sorta mole, the animal sort you idiot! I wasn’t refering to you alex!

Oh this is fucking great. MY BIRTHDAY IS ON THE SAME DAY AS A DAY DEVOTED TO MOLES!

Originally posted by Zombie_Ori
Oh this is fucking great. MY BIRTHDAY IS ON THE SAME DAY AS A DAY DEVOTED TO MOLES!

:hahaha; :mwahaha: :hahaha; :mwahaha:

Originally posted by Megaman984
The number is about 6.022 × 10^23.

I thought it was 6.023 x 10^23. Oh well, whatever. It’s been a month since we first studied moles, and I’m usually lazy and just use 6.02 x 10^23…

Anyways, yeah, my chem teacher had Happy Mole Day written on the board today, but we really didn’t do anything on it. That’s probably because we had a test that took the whole period, but whatever…

My 10th grade Chem teacher had a little stuffed mole in a lab coat, and we celebrated Mole Day by playing Mole-opoly. Groan Why do science teachers love puns so much.

Originally posted by vyse the legend
Wrong sorta mole, the animal sort you idiot! I wasn’t refering to you alex!

Duh, I know fool, you do not get the joke.