Half-Circle Motions in Fighting Games: Is it just me or...?

So I’ve been playing Guilty Gear since summer 2006 and recently I’ve started to pick up on Street Fighter: Third Strike, as that’s what a lot of people down here normally play. It used to take me forever to get any half-circle motions with the D-Pad to function in Guilty Gear until I started incorporating the analog stick for circular-motions only. And for a time, things were good.

Now Accent Core came out, and I find the circular controlls a little more tighter than usual. Then I pick up on Third Strike, and I can rarely even get the Super Arts (and EX moves) to work even half the time when the meter is just right, in which I don’t belive the analog has anything to do with this.

So my question to all the fans and fanatics of fighting genres out there: What part of your thumb do you use to make the QCF, QCB, HCF, HCB motions? Do you use the tip, the side, the flat, what? And has anyone ever had this much hell in trying to get the simplest of commands to perform?

I find it a bit easier to execute some moves if I hold a control pad on my lap like a joystick configuration - although if I use pads with actual joysticks, I usually fail twice as hard at executing said moves. So, lay the thing down and press the directions with your fingertips.

Anything that involves more then a quarter circle is too advanced for me. And I can’t use a stick in 2d fighers I have to use the d-pad.

I haven’t played a fighter in a while, but I’ve always just used the control pad. In the arcades I could never get the quarter circle moves to work. I just glide my thumb in the direction the move is and voila.

As a competitive fighter who rolls on a pad, I believe that the best way to use the D-Pad with precision is to place the apex of the thumb joint in the center of the pad. From there, I tilt the thumb towards me a bit, so it’s not exactly flat on the pad (good fucking luck doing 360s that way). If I get the chance, I’ll show you a picture…or, if anyone who’s ever seen me play fighters can explain it a little better, I’d appreciate it.

The most concise way I can think of is, the corner of the thumb, with the joint in the center. Using the tip requires way too much work and speed to get motions to come out, and it’s not even close to as clear as my method. Any other method I can think of is positively ridiculous.

im not gosu like sg but:

i lay my thumb flat on the d-pad, so the down segment of the dpad rests in the middle of the flat of my thumb (the soft part). from here, if you tilt your thumb up a little bit, the very tip of your thumb right near the nail should be in the exact center of the d-pad. to do hcf, just tilt your thumb to the left a little bit, and you will trigger left. the side of your thumb should hit the very beginning of the left nub of the d-pad. then angle your thumbnail upward, so that you are triggering down with the soft flat middle part of your thumbprint. then just rock sideways until you are holding right down with the right side of your thumb. to do qcf and qcb, do this same motion, but start with the soft flat part of your thumbprint triggering down, and rock to either side.

using analog is dumb, i cant imagine how you would do a reverse dp with that.

you just have to play alot. the good thing is once you learn them, every game uses the same motions

REALLY annoying stuff is like Yuri’s specials in CvS2…tap forward then hcf finishing with holding forward. i think so at least.

I only ever use analog if I’m trying to do HCF/B specials or buffered moves like an on-the-ground Ensenga,

,but I’m definately going to try these techniques when I get another PS2 controller (last one broke).

Thanks ya’ll!

(And to Hell with Ky Cheesecake)

Also, check if your D-Pad on your pad can kind of wiggle around. If it is, you should get a new one (for fighting games, at least), cos that messes up your execution more than you probably realize.