Hacker attacks/Worm Buttfuckings

I see that in my brief absence the site got attacked again.

Third time in how long? This is too much people - come on, what the fuck. First, you said things were being done. Then, you get attacked a second time. Things are still being done. Then you get attacked again.

I highly reccomend you guys get the daddy pants on and start taking some names. I’ve heard of a fancy security system - but is that it? And what exactly makes it so spiffy?

I vote we hunt them down and hit them with large blunt objects.

…what?

I would do very bad things if I ever found out who it was.

Anyway, Merl’s taking care of it. What we need is more people to take care of the reuploading and server work.

Same ehre, but we have to find out who they are first.

But what can one do? One just wonders though…

Well, whatever you’ve heard about a fancy security system, we probably don’t have it. Those things cost MONEY, and the server itself is a pretty hefty expense; we haven’t wanted to pay even more for an uber-l33t security package. But we’re probably gonna just bite the bullet and do that now, so hopefully we won’t have to worry about this happening again in the near future.

-Mazrim Taim

Everything can be solved with money. However, none of our dear visitors are kind enough to make any fucking donations. This shit costs and we don’t have professional jobs yet.

I’ve told Merl on multiple occasions: Sell your own ad space. That way you don’t get popups.
http://www.phpadsnew.com/

I’ve also told him about a manged dedicated 700 GB Bandwidth server for only an extra $40 a month (With a special this month on no setup fees).
http://www.oktagone.net/

First one is a ‘Why the hell not give it a try’ type thing.

Originally posted by Sinistral
Everything can be solved with money. However, none of our dear visitors are kind enough to make any fucking donations. This shit costs and we don’t have professional jobs yet.

Funding for a good security service has been provided (go look in the staff forum Sinistral). Hopefully this won’t happen again.

I would much prefer Merlin didn’t pay for it.

<i>Tailthwaps Sinistral</i>

Go READ the thread on this issue in the staff forum, and all will be revealed.

It’s not that some of us aren’t kind enough. God knows that if I had money I’d donate to this site. It’s just that most of the visitors are just kids whose entire income rests on their parents, who sometimes barely make ends meat (by kids I mean anyone under 18, no offence to those who take offence to the unintended offence)

just give things time… the money will come when we least expect it… or when one of us wins the lottery :slight_smile:

Rast: Uh, you know you have to actually send money right? Just saying Rast does so and so isn’t sufficient. :stuck_out_tongue:

he did.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
[b]I see that in my brief absence the site got attacked again.

Third time in how long? This is too much people - come on, what the fuck. First, you said things were being done. Then, you get attacked a second time. Things are still being done. Then you get attacked again.

I highly reccomend you guys get the daddy pants on and start taking some names. I’ve heard of a fancy security system - but is that it? And what exactly makes it so spiffy? [/b]
and maybe you should be less impertinent and try to let us do our jobs, however slow it may be for your personal tastes. You don’t know what has been done or what will be done, so avoid acting as if you are so knowledgeable in these areas.

Ah, which is what makes my questions somewhat relevent no? Maybe why I asked them in the first place?

Yea, I was more curious about what was being done to prevent future attacks, and I never acted like I was knowledgable about anything - you should have picked up on that when I was asking questions.

So since me just asking a question and getting a broad array of answers for discussion on the topic, I guess I’ll just have to be more direct.

What is being done to prevent future hacker attacks?
What is being done to help secure the system in general?
What is being done to track down those who have been attacking?

Make a shrine and then we’ll tell you :stuck_out_tongue:

No seriously, here’s as much as I know about it.

1 and 2: We’re getting an increased security package from the people at Rackshack (our server provider) I believe, which Rast is gonna pay for (or something) since Merl’s been footing the bill for the server space itself.

3: There’s not really much we can do at this point. If whoever did it hacks again, though, we’ll be ready for something like this, so catching them in the act will probably be made a lot easier; or at least it’ll be a lot harder for them to hack into the server, especially due to the increased security bit.

That’s about as much as the average staffer knows, so hopefully you’re happy. While I think it’s cool if the RPGC staff lets the community know exactly what’s going on with things, keep in mind that it’s not a RIGHT, it’s a privilege, and you’d do well not to demand to be in the know on stuff that technically only concerns the staff (who actually have to do stuff about it).

Danke.

-Mazrim Taim

At least we didn’t lose anything with the last attack and we weren’t down that long, so that must mean that something’s improved, right?

Well when I get a job I’ll help pay for the site. I may as well donate, I have nothing better, save for university, to spend money on.

I’d be donating too, if I could. I’d like nothing more than helping this site but unfortunately I don’t even have a credit card yet and paying for a private college isn’t easy. I still cringe when it comes time to pay off the loans:fungah: .

Hopefully the people who Merlin is contracting will be able to secure the system, if they aren’t, then the problem can only be us. Which would only be typical.

couldn’t someone just check a log with every IP that connected to the server and identify from which of them the attack came from, them track the thing to its origin and impale the hacker?