Gothic Literature

I have to write a gothic story for my literature class, and I was hoping you guys could tell me if I did a good job of writting a gothic story. I’d like you to be specific when it comes to gothic imagery, if you could.

It all began when someone left the window open. A cold winter wind shook the curtains, and Sharon stared down at him from the space created by the movement of the drapes. He just stood there, not concerned with the cold or the wind – his eyes fixated on the house, yet where on the house she couldn’t determine. His gaze was solid enough to seemingly pierce the outer walls, yet she couldn’t decide what exactly he was looking at, or for. The curtains continuously intercepted them from locking eyes. He wore a fedora with the brim turned down on all sides, adorning a cape that covered his shoulders and the front of his body. His hands at his sides, almost one with his clothing, he looked oddly ordinary; so much so that he looked almost abnormal. Sharon was intrigued, “What is he doing?” she wonders. The curtain blows into her face, and when she looks again, the man has disappeared.

She sits on her bed. Unable to focus on anything but the mysterious man standing in her backyard, she grabs a coat and steps outside to investigate. The moon shone down onto the tree laden back yard, the snow covering every inch of the ground. The only light that could be seen trickled through the tree tops off of a quarter moon and a small number of stars. The snow was only a few inches thick, not very packed. With each step into the dark cluster of trees, her feet sank only mildly into the cold. The forest was dark; the winter snow had destroyed all concept of floral life – leaving the trees with decaying branches weighed down with the weight of the frozen snow; dead as the air, which was stagnant with a lack of sound until the branches beneath her feet began to break with each step. Cautiously looking around, Sharon couldn’t believe what she was doing. Here she was, in the dead of night, the freezing cold, searching for a prowler. With every step, branches broke, ending the momentary silence with a crunch. Stopping to warm her hands, Sharon could swear that in the distance she heard footsteps in the area around her. She couldn’t place the location of the sounds though, and her attention was quickly diverted to a number of swift movements in the trees above her. Her eyes darting from spot to spot, as what few leaves on the trees flutter ever so slightly. Her heart begins to beat a little quicker, the situation ever so eerie. “What am I doing?” she wonders aloud, yet her curiosity kills her reason, and she presses on.

The sounds continue. The sounds sync with her steps; she stops, they stop, she starts, they start. The fluttering of the leaves had escalated to ravens taking flight with her every step. The woods had become thick now, no longer was she strolling – she was fighting natures barriers. Her focus shifted from listening to sounds to avoiding low branches. Once again stopping to warm her hands, she noticed a breathing that was not her own. With a quick motion, she spins her head round to the space behind her to see the cloaked man standing behind her. His head tilted down, with the brim of his hat hiding his face. His cold breath emanated from beneath his cover. Sharon stood, her heart beating out of her chest, racing with every breath the man took.
She was frozen with fright, unsure if the man would attack her or…

And with that thought the man fled. Disappearing into the night, somewhere amongst the darkness, within the forest. The sound of his feet wrecking the numerous became oblivious to the sound of her heart beating in her ears. She fell to her knees, bewildered by the encounter. The cold quickly got to her, and all she could think of was being back in her room, wrapped in blankets and listening to soothing music while drifting off to sleep. Sharon jumped to her feet and begins to sprint home. All the way – through the dense brush, nothing could stop her from reaching her front porch and dead bolting the front door. The wind howled into her ears as she almost jumped through the forest.

Finally emerging from the forest, she finds herself in her own back yard. Comforted by the familiar scenery and the knowledge that it was over, she was home. She pauses; puts her hands on her knees and bends over gasping for air. Trying to find solace in her calamity, she gazes into the open window of her room. Except that it is no longer open, but it’s closed… and to her horror, there stood the man from the woods. In her house, in her room, looking down at her just as she had done not long ago. His hat was off, and he was an elderly white man, with thin receded gray hair. Confused and enraged that this stranger would violate her home with his presence, Sharon dashes to her porch, and opens the front door.

The hospital room is like any other, white in a monotone sort of way, discolored only by pale green shower curtains that separate one patient from the other. Doctor Rowland stands at the foot of the bed making notations on her medical chart when a nurse walks in with a tray holding numerous small cups with pills in them, each with a piece of masking tape inscribed with a name. She glances at the woman on the bed, and then looks to the doctor with questioning eyes. “Will she ever recover?” Doctor Rowland doesn’t look up from his chart. “I don’t know. Comatose patients are very unpredictable. She has been out for quite some time, and we still haven’t gotten a hold of any next of kin. She’s lucky they managed to pull her out of that car. I hear the eighteen wheeler did quite a number on her little beetle.” The nurse just blankly stared at the woman on the bed. “What do you think she’s going through Doctor?” Rowland closes the chart and replaces it to it’s hanger on the foot of the bed. “A number of comatose patients remember having dreams. Often times, it is the same dream that loops itself over and over again. Odd dreams, one of the strangest I heard was a man had a dream that just looping itself over and over again. His role in the dream kept getting reversed with that of another character. It just kept going… However this is likely not what happens to everybody.” The doctor removed the glasses from his face and hung them on his chest pocket, and walked out. The nurse sighed and began to administer the medicine. Once she was finished, she walked over to the wall opposite that of the door, closed the window, and left.

Thanks.

It seems to follow what I suppose could be called a “gothic format,” so that is good. I’m guessing the scenes preceeding the last were part of a comatose patient’s dream?

There was only one thing that really bothered me about it: You keep switching from past tense to present tense, and vice versa. It would be a much more effective piece if you stuck with just one, and edited the rest to fit.

Alright, thanks.

No prob. ^^

Well… uh… this doesn’t seem like a gothic story at all. Not only that, but it seems to have been put together pretty hastily.

Gothic stories are usually not set in modern time, have melodramatic emotions, romance, and are set near someplace that is falling apart (usually a castle).

That’s not true at all, Edgar Allen Poe’s stories are highly regarded as nothing but gothic, and none of them have anything to do with romance in the slightest.

Edgar Allan Poe wrote horror and mystery, not gothic stuff, excepting MAYBE “The Fall of the House of Usher.”

What? Ok, now I’m convinced you don’t know what your talking about. While what he wrote fit into the genres of mystery and horror, he used a great, great deal of gothic imagery in his work, which is what categorizes it as gothic literature, because gothic literature isn’t categorized by anything other than the type of imagery it uses.

I almost completly revamped the story - and I love it now. I think it’s great, but since it’s close to Halloween and junk, I figured I’d post the updated version. Enjoy:

It all began when someone left the window open. A cold winter wind crept into the house and shook the curtains, and Sharon stared down at him from the space created by the movement of the drapes. He just stood there, unconcerned with the cold or the wind – his eyes fixated on the house, yet where on the house she couldn’t determine. His gaze was solid enough to seemingly pierce the outer walls, yet she couldn’t decide what exactly he was looking at, or for. The curtains continuously intercepted them from locking eyes. He wore a fedora with the brim turned down on all sides, adorning a cape that covered his shoulders and the front of his body. His hands at his sides, almost one with his clothing, he looked oddly ordinary; so much so that he looked almost abnormal. Sharon is intrigued, “What is he doing?” she wonders. The wind forces the curtains into her face, and when she looks again, the man has disappeared.

She sat on her bed. Unable to focus on anything but the mysterious man standing in her backyard, she grabbed a coat and stepped outside to investigate. The only light in the yard was that of the house lights and the moon, which trickled through the tree tops and barely illuminated the wooded area that laid only just beyond the house. The snow was only a few inches thick, not very packed, and with each step into the dark cluster of trees, her feet sank mildly into the welcoming clutches of the cold beneath her. The forest felt like a graveyard; the winter snow had destroyed all concept of floral life – leaving the trees as skeletal frames of their former selves. Snow trapped twigs and branches that had fallen to the ground; like bones in a crypt. Creepily shadowed by the thin moon light, the branches looked like the thin, malnourished fingers of an elderly man, outstretched and grasping into the darkness, overshadowing Sharon with every step. The silence was loud, yet like the rest of the forest the air was dead and stagnant with a lack of sound until the branches beneath her feet began to break with each step, causing a snap that would send chills up her spine. Cautiously looking around, Sharon couldn’t believe what she was doing. Here she was, in the dead of night, the freezing cold, searching for a prowler. Sharon stopped and began to rub her hands; the numbness robbed them of all feeling, as if the life was being drained out of them by the environment that surrounded her. While doing so, she could swear that in the distance she heard footsteps in the area around her. She couldn’t place the location of the sounds, and her attention was quickly diverted to a number of swift movements in the trees above her. Her eyes darted from spot to spot, as what few leaves on the trees fluttered ever so slightly. Her heart began to beat a little quicker, the situation felt ever so eerie. “What am I doing?” she wonders aloud, yet her curiosity killed her reason, and she pressed on.

The sounds seemed to follow her, track her footsteps, but stopping the second she paused to listen. The fluttering of the leaves had escalated to ravens taking flight with her every step. The woods had become thicker now, no longer was she strolling – she was fighting through the bony branches. Her focus shifted from listening to sounds to avoiding low hanging limbs. Once again stopping to rub her hands, she noticed a breathing that was not her own. With a quick motion, she whips her head round to the space behind her to see the cloaked man standing at ease. His head tilted down, with the brim of his hat hiding his face. His cold breath emanated from beneath its cover. Sharon stood, her heart beating out of her chest, racing with every breath the man took. She was frozen with fright, unsure if the man would attack her or…

And with that thought the man fled. Disappearing into the darkness, the sound of him tearing through the forest broke the overbearing silence, yet all the noise became oblivious to Sharon as the sound of her blood pumping in her ears drowned out all other noise . She fell to the ground, sending up a storm of snow that buried her within the cold. Paralyzed by fear, she laid in her shallow tomb. Unable to move, unable to think, completely overtaken by her fear. She could feel herself begin to drift into day dreams of her in her bed, back home, snuggled in a warm blanket. The urgency, however, she felt of escaping drove her to rise and run. Sharon jumped to her feet and begins to sprint home. She fought her way through the bony structures, nothing could have stopped her from reaching her front porch and dead bolting the front door. The wind howled into her ears, the trees were no longer stationary and deceased, but now seemed to be vivid and alive. She stampeded through the brush, the skeletal branches seemingly tore at her with every step.

Finally emerging from the forest, she found herself in her back yard. Comforted by the familiar scenery and the knowledge that it was over, she was home. She paused; put her hands on her knees and bent over gasping for air. Trying to find solace in her calamity, she gazed into the open window of her room. She sighed, and a wave of relief drifted over her. She stumbled to the front porch of her door, and peered into the dark living room. A sharp shiver ran up her spine when she realized that she left the lights on when she left. Opening the door, a blast of frigid air collided with her, drying out her eyes to the point that they began to tear salt. Furiously blinking and rubbing her eyes, she walked into the living room and fumbled for the light switch. Right above the coffee table, she flicked it up. Then down, then up again; the lights wouldn’t come on. Her vision had not fully recovered, and was quite blurred, but when she turned her head to the right, towards the whole of the living room, much to her horror she could still very easily make out the distinct shape of the figure in the woods. Her heart did not race, she did not panic. She merely fell to her knees on the hard wooden floor, and looked up at the man as he slowly made his way across the room, and removed his hat.

The hospital room was like any other, white in a monotone sort of way, discolored only by pale green shower curtains that separated one patient from the other. Doctor Rowland stood at the foot of the bed making notations on a medical chart when a nurse walks in with a tray holding numerous small cups with pills in them and a few syringes… She glances at the woman on the bed, and then looks to the doctor with questioning eyes. “Will she ever recover?” Doctor Rowland doesn’t look up from his chart. “I don’t know. Comatose patients are very unpredictable. She has been out for quite some time, and we still haven’t gotten a hold of any next of kin. She’s lucky they managed to pull her out of that car. I hear the eighteen wheeler did quite a number on her little Volkswagen.” The nurse just blankly stared at the woman on the bed. “What do you think she’s going through Doctor?” Rowland closed the chart and replaced it to it’s hanger on the foot of the bed. “A number of comatose patients remember having very vivid dreams. Dreams about loved ones, relatives that were long gone, old friends, people they’ve never met. Anything from nightmares, to dreams about birthday parties and cake. However this is likely not what happens to everybody.” The doctor removed the glasses from his face and hung them on his chest pocket, and walked out. The nurse sighed and began to administer the medicine. Once she was finished, she walked over to the wall opposite that of the door, closed the window, and left.

Actually I believe you, and your teacher, have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.wwnorton.com/nael/romantic/topic_2/welcome.htm
http://members.aol.com/franzpoet/intro.html
http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~hamberg/Gothic/genre.html

And the list goes on and on across the sea.

Although I was wrong about Poe, I seem to be correct about everything else… :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh- and… uh… okay high school student who doesn’t know someone who is completely obsessed with gothic literature.

o.O

Apparently high school teachers across the country don’t have a clue what they’re talking about, despite having Masters in literature, because I was taught the same way.

None of the gothic literature I’ve read took place in modern times, but that was because it wasn’t written in modern times. They were written in the 18th and 19th centuries, when many of the stories take place.

Then again, I suppose I would have to be “obsessed” with something to know anything about it.

You tend to switch frequently between past and present tenses, in some instances in the same sentence. Most teachers would nearly have a fit. In one situation in the second paragraph you even include future tense, although it seems you were trying for some other effect. “…causing a snap that would send chills up her spine.”
Also, the introduction of the man at the beginning of the story, generally you shouldn’t use a pronoun before identifying the noun to which it is refering.

Yo, CC, give it a rest. Words are just words - so it’s not “really” gothic, whatever. Evaluate it as a collection of words, not as what you perceive to be a “gothic” thing, because words mean different things for different people, and that’s just the way things are.

And Sorc, I loved it, a LOT. It was creepy and really cool. I actually didn’t mind the changes out of tense - you only did it twice, or so I noticed anyways, and both times when the dreamer is making a comment to herself - it makes it feel, I don’t know, more dreamlike, to take her mind out of the action like that.

The only thing I didn’t like as much was the last paragraph - it seems like it gives too much extraneous information…but on the other hand, I’m reading it over again, and it’s pretty cool. You wonder, WHAT it is that “is not what likely happens to everybody.” All the extraneous information kinda makes that line harder to really grasp, though - though at the same time it makes it more surreal that it seems like something weird is happening to this girl, yet all we hear about is the damn eighteen-wheeler that we don’t care about. But maybe I’m just not a careful enough reader the first time through. Or maybe she’s making reference to the sheer physical damage that the 18-wheeler caused to the girl? I dunno. Maybe you don’t want me to know, and want me to think about it, but my experience with creepy literature like this is, it tends to be more powerful if you know WHAT to wonder about (about what isn’t there), rather than spending all your time wondering what the author’s words are saying (that is, about what is there).

Just my two cents. But a very awesome story overall. Oh, and one final thing, in general, adjectives and adverbs are weaker and take up more space than nouns and verbs. If you feel like your story is too clunky and not sleek enough, or isn’t readable enough, that could be the reason. I admittedly found myself just skimming over certain adjective/adverb-filled passages. Just some general writing advice that I need to learn to follow much better as well.

-Mazrim Taim

In what I turned in, I deleted the final paragraph because I felt it killed the mood of the story.

My only real problem with the story is that I think it’s too narrative, and you may not pick up on a lot of the underlying meaning, because I never directly correlate anything to what I wanted it to mean, however, you still sort of get the idea from the forest.

And like I said, Gothic literature is categorized not by the actual story content, but rather the imagery that encompasses the story, the surroundings and the actions of the characters rather than the characters themselves.

I think the main thing is, did your teacher want a creepy halloween story or a story using the traditional elements of gothic literature? If it’s the former, I think you pulled it off well. (the tense issue was the main problem - but 50 people have already told you that, so…) Sometimes you state things unecessarily, like in the third paragraph “creepily shadowed” (we know it’s creepy, that’s how the imagery is making us feel) and especially that last paragraph, where I would agree with maz that there’s some extraneous info.

But if it’s REALLY supposed to be gothic, this would be the definition: “A gothic novel prominently features elements of horror, the supernatural, gloom, and violence: clanking chains, terror, charnel houses, ghosts, medieval castles, and mysteriously slamming doors. The term “gothic novel” is also applied to novels that lack elements of the traditional Gothic setting but that create a similar atmosphere of terror or dread.” And while your story was creepy, it wasn’t long enough to instill a sense of terror or dread.

Edit: nm about the final paragraph since you deleted it. <.< Another good description of gothic literature would be “a world of pain and destruction/ fear and anxiety which shadows the daylight world of love and ethereality.” I didn’t really get this sense from your story mostly because I know nothing about Sharon. I want to envision her as the pure soul being ravaged by the shadows, representative of her latent sexual desires! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Some more elaboration would be nice.

i think its a little too vague and too short to maintain the mood, but some of the ideas and imagery are good.

COUGH

How long did it have to be when you turned it in?

You don’t know much about sharon on purpose; Sharon is supposed to be able to represent anybody or everybody.

And sin helped ;p Lots. I thought I said that already? It was only supposed to be 700 words, but after I cut the final paragraph it was 1,116.

My teacher said it was supposed to be a gothic story, however I don’t think she would have cared had it been just a halloween story because I think the two are somewhat synonamus(sp?).