Goodbye, Pinochet

You have no idea what you’re talking about. The reason why Milosevic’s trial was “slow” is because Milosevic destroyed its case. They had to force their own lawyers on him to prevent him from defending himself, and when he refused, they just postponed the trial until he died, to hide their failure. If he did indeed deserve to be put on trial, then so did all of his prosecutors and judges.

This can only be true when the “body” in question has any legitimacy of its own. At least Mussolini was killed by Italians, not by foreign occupants or by some kind of self-proclaimed international authority.

I always wondered what happened to Italy in WW2.

What do you mean? We invaded it through North Africa and Sicily with the British. Haven’t you seen Patton?

I didn’t know the Italians killed Mussolini :P. I’m not well versed in the history of how war criminals were disposed of, esp out of Germany.

Granted; I was hoping for a trial in Chile, and I suppose should’ve made that more clear.

I didn’t know the Italians killed Mussolini :P. I’m not well versed in the history of how war criminals were disposed of, esp out of Germany.

He was killed by an angry mob while trying to escape Italy dressed as a woman(seriously). Which is a strange contrast to Germany, where Hitler remained popular even as the Russians invaded Berlin.

As for Pinochet, lots of people seem to think he did a lot of good for Chile’s economy. I don’t know how true that is, but I do know the quality of life in Chile today is generally higher than other Latin American countries.

But when Cloud did that, no one complained.

I wonder how Baroness Thatcher is doing nowadays. Loosing a dear “war friend” must be hard on her psyche. The Iron Lady and General Pinochet were both huge admirers of Milton Friedman and laisser-faire capitalism.

Pinochet’s Chile was the model for globalization: free market economy with substantial growth in GDP, high military spending, success in reducing inflation, and influx of foreign corporations and foreign debt. But with severe cuts in pensions, health care, wages, and education spending; to paraphrase Leonard Cohen: “… everybody knows the rich got richer, the poor stayed poor”.
I remember seeing Salvador Allende stamp in my dad’s collection, and now I feel like borrowing that stamp.

I got reminded of this today: [QUOTE=]Hitler, this mass murderer, didn’t like flowers because he didn’t like to be around dead things[/QUOTE]No comments.