Good podcasts?

In the next little while I will find myself unable to listen to music for religious reasons. I was wondering if anyone had some funny/interesting podcasts they listen to that I could try out. I generally have about 45-60 minutes a day commuting so I’m going to need something. :sunglasses:

I’m grabbing some audiobooks as well, but the free ones are practically all classics, which I have a suspicious feeling will put me to sleep. -_-

When I used to commute a while I used to take out audio books from the library. I don’t know if it’s true where you are, but they aren’t all classics, there! You can get Stephen King and Terry Pratchett in audio book format in the Syracuse library, at least.

Yeah, I was looking for the audiobook section of my library but couldn’t find it and was in too much of a rush to ask someone. Maybe I’ll take another look this week.

Problem is that almost all audiobooks in the library appear to be in tape format, and I don’t have a tape deck on my car (CD-MP3 player, yes. Tape deck, no.)

I like Retronauts, mostly for Scott Sharkey and Chris Kohler. Most of the participants are bitter and cynical old curmudgeons (like me) and that’s the sort of humor that the podcast has.

http://fobbiesareborange.com/

This is an interesting retelling of Earthbound as a radio show. It’s fairly short, but pretty funny.

If you listen to any radio programs, you might want to try their old shows. I know NPR has Science Fridays, which run about an hour, and Praire Home Companion, which runs about two.

Some of my favorite podcasts are:

Poose Radio
Seduction & Strip Clubs
Sex and Podcasting - a community podcasting site
Sex Talk
Open Source Sex

My favorites Giant Bomb, Sarcastic Gamer, Retronauts, and Onion Radio. I found some podcasts that I been trying out, which it looking like Idle Thumbs will be a keeper.

You can’t listen to music, you don’t have a phone…I can only assume you’ve probably never had a girlfriend. What’s up with you man? I’d recommend some podcasts to you, but I’m afraid Cthulhu might object or something and you’d be offended.

IT RIRSE!

Wrong thread Hades

There’s a right one?

Given the contents of your post and the posts in the Twitter thread as well as zep’s latest post I think your post would have made a lot more sense in there rather than here

got my vote on that one too, those guys are pretty good

rpgcast is good too http://www.rpgamer.com/rpgcast/rpgcast_archive.html

these guys have a few shows that are not bad but there mmo’s
http://www.onlinegamingradio.com/podcasts

I’d just like to say that, for the record, I wasn’t joking. I do follow Rirse’s twitter.

what about my twitter ? (now i am joking)

You can’t listen to music, you don’t have a phone…I can only assume you’ve probably never had a girlfriend. What’s up with you man? I’d recommend some podcasts to you, but I’m afraid Cthulhu might object or something and you’d be offended.

No, I’ve never had a girlfriend, but that has nothing to do with Cthulhu. Read up on Orthodox Judaism before you bash it, please. Anyway, the music thing is temporary, three weeks now and three weeks in August. And yes, the first period (starting next week) is related to the name of our FF7 buddy Sephiroth.

For those who just mentioned names, can you please give me some descriptions? I’d like to have some more information… considering someone used the name “Sex Talk”, I have a feeling there may be some values dissonance there. O_o Thanks for all the help, though!

Sephiroth? I didn’t think that Orthodox Hebrews practiced Kabalah, or is there another use/meaning for the Tree of Life? I’m not trying to be rude, I’m genuinely curious.

Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism. We don’t “practice” Kabbalah because part of it is ingrained in many of our customs. We don’t manually go out there and study it, for the most part, but it is incorporated in our customs and prayers. So, for example, the Omer consists of 49 days (7 weeks of 7 days each) and each day/week is named by one of the seven main Sephiroth; we use the name in a short prayer after the counting. Tonight is Tiferes sheb’Chesed (3rd day, 1st week).

Hasidic Jewry is more in-tune with Kabbalah than non-Hasidim, but most Orthodox Jews have bits of Kabbalah in their prayers, whether they know it or not.

What we don’t like is those people who treat Kabbalah as a religion by itself and ignore the Torah and practices it’s based on. That smacks of deep hypocrisy to us.

So I take it you’re not a fan of those airheaded celebrities that talk about being inspired by Kabbalah and don’t convert to Judaism. I can respect that. They’re pretty irritating.

Yeah. Madonna changes her name to Esther and wears a red string around her wrist and feels all spiritual… then goes on stage in fishnet stockings and worse. Kind of totally missing the point there.