Good News, Everyone

Futurama returns later this month.

If you live outside the US you can watch the preview clip here.

Specifically the 24th.

Its gonna be fun on da bun.

I was not a fan of Futurama until it got cancelled. I can’t wait. My DVR will be busy for a while again.

Neither was anyone. Why do you think it got cancelled to begin with?

I could never really stand Futurama, but hey, it’s still a decent show. Glad to see some good coming back to television.

Hey speak for yourself, I’ve liked the show since it first aired! I’m glad to hear it’s back, but how about the voice actor situation? I heard some of the original VA’s might not be coming back.

I swear to God I must be the only one on the face of the planet who doesn’t give a shit about Futurama. The show just bores the hell out of me.

Cartman is introduced to the Family Guy writing staff, who turn out to be a group of manatees. The aquatic mammals, who live in a large tank, pick up “idea balls” from a large pile of them, each of which has a different noun, a verb or a pop-culture reference written on it, and deliver them, five at a time, to a machine that then forms a Family Guy cutaway gag based on those ideas. For example, “Laundry” + “Date” + “Winning” + “Mexico” + “Gary Coleman” becomes a clip of Lois asking Peter to do the laundry, after which Peter recalls winning a date in Mexico with Gary Coleman.

edit: Ah, Futurama. Never mind.

As far as I know all the original voice actors are back. It really seems like that whole ‘they might not return!’ was done to drum up interest, I think. Wasn’t a very good way to do it though.

Cool. I love to hear Billy West doing Zoidberg with his pseudo- Yiddish accent.

Yay! I enjoy watching Futurama.

Actually it was mostly due to Fox putting both it and Family Guy in the 7 to 8 PM Eastern Time Zone Slot which continuously put it on the chopping block whenever a late night sports event occurred thus making showings of both shows inconsistent as hell. Family Guy got canned quickly enough and eventually Futurama followed, but thanks to the young and not entirely crappy Adult Swim, those two shows among others were salvaged from the discount bin of history and well you know the rest.

Anyways Futurama’s humor mostly comes from rewatching the episodes as there tends to be some subtle jokes that tend to get overlooked (also one of these days I’m going to sit down and crack that alien language to find out whether its all gibberish or not (unless it already has in which case Linky plz)).

I’m enough of a dork that I’ve sat down and watch the commentaries on EVERY EPISODE of the four seasons. And they’ve pointed out that not only was that first alien language cracked, the second and THIRD alien languages they introduced were cracked as well. Each one more complicated than the last. They talked about how they formed the code for each one, and left little hints in various episodes, it was fascinating stuff.

I fully expect there to be a new alien language in the new season. Assuming they’re on their game, anyway.

Maybe if they spent more time making funny jokes and less time making up alien languages for mega nerds to “crack” the show wouldn’t have gotten cancelled in the first place.

such a wortest poste.r…

Futarama makes the best jokes!

I never got into it. It always seemed to me like a crappier version of the Simpsons, sort of like Family Guy.

It was much better than Family Guy, because after watching years of the Simpsons (years and years), Beavis and Butthead (years and years), Space Ghost Coast to Coast, King of the Hill, South Park and so forth before both of these shows came along, Family Guy had almost nothing to offer. Futurama has characters worth remembering and some original humor as oppossed to bringing back the same recycled garbage I saw in the 80s/90s. Of course, this will be different for like everybody because not everybody watched the same television programs (cartoons, sitcoms, and so forth) to the same extent.

The thing about new TV programs, much like new books, is that the old programs will be forgotten and the new programs will be accepted as the pinnacle. Most people don’t have the mental capacity or care to look back and think that there’s really not much being offerred today that you couldn’t find back then, except, of course, new fancy graphics and sound. Maybe this is why I am becoming more distant from media and more of a nature hound-- I can find the best sound and graphics through exploring the world then sitting at home being fed the same old bullshit for the rest of my life.

I just can’t help but think you didn’t really watch Futurama if you’re thinking of it as a crappier version of The Simpsons. The only similarities are the art style (obviously) and both being prime time cartoons.

Yeah, I never really watched it, because I thought it was a crappier version of the Simpsons :stuck_out_tongue:

So we’ve established that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Okay.

Like always?