God... idiot managers...

Ok, a little background here.

My mom is hardly one to be quiet when shit is happening. She will speak out. She has done it before: When my dad was in the military, she worked once at the Navy Lodge: a hotel mainly for military families moving in or out.

She got annoyed at all the civilians staying there, and notified the Secretary of the Navy, the Admiral in charge of the base, and Clinton’s office. 111 (the building that handled stuff like the Navy Lodge, among other things) got a few interesting calls…

Now to the point. She has taken a job in the deli at a certain store. It pays six bucks an hour, but as I said, 40 hours at six bucks is better than none or intermittent at seven.

Now she loves the store. It’s a pretty good place. And the owner (who I believe owns a restaurant chain also) is pretty nice. This is his first shot at a supermarket.

But things are going to hell. Let me begin.

She’s only HEARD about it, but some employees are being paid 4.75 an hour. Now, to those who even glanced at labor laws, minimum wage is 5.15. This is not a union law (the store isn’t unionized), this is FEDERAL.

She also talked to one kid who had to go around the neighborhood, at NIGHT, to find shopping carts. Alright. But the kid is 17. They’ve sent a 15 year old to do it. I’m sorry, but with a minor, the store is liable for the child’s welfare as a PARENT. Minors are not supposed to leave the premises. If even one thing happens to one of the kids, the owner will probably wonder why the place is being shut down. To say the least. Not to mention that I belive the kid is qworking 35 hors. If he’s in school still, there will be HELL to pay.

One woman is also afraid to come into work because she was being sexually harassed. Another employee went to notify one of the managers and was basically told “You tell anyone about this, and you’re fired.” Isn’t that illegal?

I think the same emplyee was dealing with some corn that had gone bad. The owner came upon this and told her simply: “This gets thrown out.” Sounds fair enough. Then one of the managers tells her not to, and to go back, <i>into the trash</i>, and wrap the corn. Wow. The government would LOVE to see that.

My mom has found maggots in one of the slicers. Fortunately, she warned everyone not to use it and made sure it was sanitized.

Add to that that they’re cutting hours (with two new girls just in), saying the deli isn’t making a profit. Which seems like bullshit to her, because the deli gets a LOT of customers.

And she’s expected to stock the floor in front of the deli. Her job description, as she puts it, is to deal with cutomers, make the food for the deli… and make sure the health authorites don’t just them down.

This is a small list I remember. But one has to wonder. My mom thinks the owner doesn’t know about this: he seems pretty decent, and I imagine he’s had experience with labor and health laws due to his restaurant experience.

Thus, she and another employee are going to a lawyer soon to see about documenting and presenting some of the shit that goes on to the owner. She’s put it simply: She’d love for one of the managers to threaten her job. Meh. Some of this stuff would make the store shut down, STAT.

Here’s another bit. One of the managers was fired for snorting coke in the office. Now how retarded is that? One woders if the rest of them are, if saving 16 bucks is stronger than no job and maybe jail time. Did they take management classes at Enron U. or soemthign?

It’s times like this I wish I was legal to smack idiots. ><

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
It’s times like this I wish I was legal to smack idiots. ><

Seconded.
Err, is that typed right?

Oh dear… I hope things will get sorted out cleanly, though it seems to have gone a little too far for that :confused:

Ye Gods…

I don’t even think minors are allowed to work past a certain time.

If the manager has pointy hair, GET YOUR MOM THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

But seriously, that sucks. Idiots don’t deserve to have jobs any higher than shoe shiner.

It depends on what state you are in and if school is in session Galloway. There are restrictions in every state though.

I’m really sorry to hear that SS. The owner should be watching the employees better if the managers are slacking off. As for the managers I can only hope that they get caught and hopefully rot in a cell for breaking laws.

Those managers ain’t even funny. There must be someone who can get them outta there and put someone more competent in their place.

Originally posted by Dark Paladin

Ya thats true they cant work like past 10. But SS that sucks idiots should be put up against a wall and shot or all be taken to and island and nuke that island. This is just an idea dont take it seriously. But man call whoever you need to call, get you mom out of that job and shut that store down.

Hoo boy… :noway: if you can get solid evidence of any of this you can get their balls in such a vice… :get it?:

Originally posted by Dark Paladin
Depends where you are, state, country, etc. Otherwise, no minor would be able to work at a movie theater, since they always run way into the night.

Spaz: Just make sure nobody knows your mom is doing this. Even though they can’t take her job for doing this, they can bring her down to like, 3 hours a week.

There has been a couple of incidents like that here in Norway. The punishment is harsh: The place is shut down, they have to pay a lot of money, and it’s published in the local newspapers.

Razzia time!

that store is pretty fucked up

Originally posted by Ren
Those managers ain’t even funny. There must be someone who can get them outta there and put someone more competent in their place.

Exactly what I think. Those idiots are ruining everything.

Originally posted by Xelopheris

Spaz: Just make sure nobody knows your mom is doing this. Even though they can’t take her job for doing this, they can bring her down to like, 3 hours a week.

Actually, I don’t think she really cares. She’d love for them to try and make her hurt. All she needs is the money for a new comp and to get her site up and running…

Add to that that it’s not the STORE managers that set hours, it’s depeartment managers. And according to her, her dept. manager’s alright. The only way they could hurt her hours without being obvious, methinks, is to reduce the deli’s hours. And that’s not something that will make a lot of people happy. According to her manager, my mom got most of the hours for next week. Heee.

Sorry for the double post, but I have a small update.

LEt’s add to the list:

Earlier today, a 30 year old, who claims to be a kickboxer, threatened to kick a 15 year old’s ass. The parents did get into it. I imagine there was hell to pay.

Now, apparently the manager of a deparment is responsible for odering stuff for said department: I.E. the Produce manager is in charge of ordering and pricing produce. I wasn’t aware of that. Apparently, so was the produce manager. Now, she’s happy about it it seems, but it comes into my next point.

Apparently the owner has come in and started throwing stuff from produce out, saying it was bad. Apparently, though, it’s pretty bad coming in. My mom thinks they’re buying second -hand from other stores. IF the OWNER went in and started throwing shit otu, there’s a problem. I really think someone is pocketing the “savings” and blaming it on the produce manager.

Also, she had to put in overtime, on the clock. (some, inculding he delimanager and my mother, DON’T put the time on the clock. Now that’s devoition.) The store manager essentially told her (the produce manager) that he would NOT pay it. Thus the produce girl said: I’m either going to take my pay from teh product in the store, or I’m going to a lawyer. You choose." The store manager relented and said that he would pay her under the table.

Under the table? For overtime? WHY? What reason would there be? He said the checks were already done, but at tihs time, that seems like a load of bullshit. (two days before payday, its’ on a biweekly basis)

And then my mom (and most likely, the deli manager) got bitched out about the deli not being in good shape and not making a profit. My mom and the manager do thier best to keep it clean and so on. They have two new girsl, and the manager said that they should have been doing it too. Two girls, just here two days. They need to be trained. I know it got bad when my mom came in. She was in a daze. The manager pretty much told her she didnt’ care what ahppens, and that’s a first, even through the bullshit.

Oh, and mom talked to her lawyer, who essentially said not to get involved. HEllo, she’s already involved. If this company goes down teh tubes, she won’t have to worry about possibly losing heyr job: she will lost it. Some lawyer he is. She was happy to work there, and she loves working there. But now it’s bringing her, and several others down.

All I can think of is drag the owner and tell him about what’s going on. That or pull a strike. It’s jsut getting worse.

sigsh I wish there was away I could help…

Make an anonymous report to the police about the questionable behavior.

…Man, and I’ve thought the people I’VE met in real life are stupid.

Steve’s idea is good; you should send a report to the police concerning the manager’s moronic behavior.