Go to hell peace bridge!!!!

I had a professor who when someone would complain about his teaching methods he would spout out the grade he received when he took the class. Knowing something does not mean you can convey it well. Some of the best teachers are the ones that struggled with the material themselves.

That said, I never understood university reputations. They are usually only followed by those that can’t prove themselves on their own so they have to go to a statistic that says little-to-nothing about them. “Yea, I suck, but this chart says that the place supposed to teach me not to suck doesn’t suck.”

I am graded by a Teacher, not a professor for 75% of this class and he has done all of my marks up until now. It is not theory, its practical.

Yes and I don’t really care how my grammar is on here to tell you the truth. I have to worry enough about that when I write papers.
Practice never hurts.

I have a 92 in my education class and I think I would make a damn good teacher. I don’t want to boast because I’m not like that.
You say one thing but do another. Perfect attitude for your minor.

When I asked if you were in “it” I was referring to the teacher’s college, not the program. Not that going to a high-tier teacher’s college means anything. Think about it.

This says nothing about the writers who did well in classes, and is irrelevant. Good marks are not only an indication of what you can do, but of what you’re willing to do. If Doan has a 92, Doan will probably be successful. Doan didn’t tell us what Doan’s other grades were, though.

Good writers who failed out aren’t good <i>because</i> they failed out. They’re good <i>in spite of</i> failing out. You know this. It’s always better to do well in classes than not.

Anyway Doan, you’re on a forum. It’s a communication medium and if you can’t communicate you’re wasting everyone’s time. Grammar is important here. Pay attention to it or no one will take you seriously. I pay attention to it and still no one takes me seriously.

I seriously want to punch Hades.

1. Can’t argue that one
  2. Teachers collage is the 5th year of school, I’m in 3rd year but in ConEd you take these classes as you go along.

Poli Sci-81
American Hist-84
Narrative English-87
Placement Education-91
Earth Science-72 (Not my thing)
4) Point Taken, I shall try and be more cohesive from now on

I kind of wanted to take ES. It seems like it’d be interesting.

Hades: Yeah, I know. It just seems like her whole argument was based on her grade, which is most definately not good.

Well I took it last year and it was very interesting, but the third year class is serious business. It’s a lot of work. Tons of people are failing.

I’m interested in how geology relates to allopatric speciation and natural selection in general. Is ES just another name for geology or is it something else completely, or a bit of both?

What kind of stuff are you doing in it right now?

Earth sciences is about solving current problems such as waste disposal, pollution etc. The utilization of natural resources such as oil and gas, and minerals. It also deals with how the planet has evolved from 4.6 billion years ago to the present.

Almost all of the 3rd year classes are cross referenced with Geology or geography. I am in Paleontology and Paleobiology, and I will give you what is says on my syllabus:

Biodiversity and ecosystems through geologic time; micro and macro evolution in paleobiology and evolutionary biology; large scale environmental change and the fossil record; functional morphology; phylogenetic and cladistic analysis of the fossil record.

Last year I took North America’s Parklands: Stories in Stone which was a joke and The History of the Earth which was interesting.

It doesn’t matter what your teacher thinks. What matters is what your student thinks and what your impact on the student is.

I’m teaching grade two, so you can come and ask them. I am graded on my interaction with the students and how I convey the material. What else do you really want? Like you can stop grasping at straws any time now. I have the teacher of the class grading me. Who has the best opinion on how good an apprentice is? A teacher. Their teacher to be exact. The person who knows these kids better than anyone. The teacher has been through the whole process and I think she has a pretty good gage on how I am doing.

That was a seriously good play on words.

I’m not grasping at straws, I’m making valid points. Being told by another teacher that you’re doing a good job doesn’t matter because there is no way for anyone here to know how well qualified that person is in making these kinds of judgements. Therefore, the best way to ascertain is through the results of your teaching, which is my point with the students.

Who has the best opinion on how good an apprentice is? A teacher. Their teacher to be exact. The person who knows these kids better than anyone. The teacher has been through the whole process and I think she has a pretty good gage on how I am doing.
You can only <b><i>gauge</b></i> your success in terms of your goals. If it’s your goal to teach students, it doesn’t matter what the instructor says. If you’re not doing it, you’re not successful. I’m not trying to tell you how good you are. I just want to point out this simple fact.

Let me try and remember what I happened to this thread. Nah never mind, hurts the head. Listen, I really think I am doing a good job no matter what you say. You can’t make a valid judgment on this because you have never seen me teach. The kids seem to like me and the teacher thinks I am doing a good job. I don’t really know what else I can go on here people because it will always be an opinion. There seems to be a trend of, “read my post, find a point to argue and do it”. Sin might be the best person I have ever seen in this. I still see no argument of why I would make a bad teacher. I implore you to keep doing this though as I need a brake from my Thomas Jefferson paper now and again. Happy Hunting.

PS. If my goals were to make kids cry and make life hell for them, does that make me a good teacher? I know this is not exactly what you mean but consider it. Teaching is a very broad range. There is not a perfect teacher because not every one learns the same. Therefore, all a teacher can do is try and adapt there style to the learning specifications of the student. That is my goal and as of right now I believe I am doing a good job. However, if my goal was to teach kids the value of discipline and I ran my classroom as a boot camp. If I thought them only to orderly and nothing else. Does that make me a good teacher? I’m just throwing that out there.

All I am trying to say is that teachers, true teachers should keep one goal, to educate (pretty straight forward) and people have different ways of rating this fact. I value the opinions of the people around me and I take them very seriously. They have seen a lot of teachers come through and I think that they have a valid opinion.

If my goals were to make kids cry and make life hell for them, does that make me a good teacher?
No. It makes you a person who wants kids to cry. If you succeed at that goal it means you’re good at making kids cry. This has nothing to do with what I said though.

I never said you wouldn’t make a good teacher. I’m just pointing out that you should be wary of what other people say about you, and think about your own success in terms of the goals you set for yourself.

You’re right that a teacher is, by definition, someone who educates. You can only judge your own success as a teacher by how well you educate your students, and not by what another teacher thinks they know about you, and especially not by what your students think they know about you. Students tend to like teachers who can’t teach. Keep that in mind.

I know, that is why I said “I know this is not exactly what you mean”

So does anyone have a way of judging the success of a teacher, other than inner accomplishment? A lot of kids respect good teaching although you’re right about the easy teachers. Although those kids in the end tend to respect the good teachers more.

Now we’re getting somewhere. And no I didn’t mean to imply you weren’t a good teacher because of the examples you were naming. I was contesting the examples themselves.

I personally don’t think a good teacher only educates. A teacher can play a lot better roles in the life of a child than to simply show him how do to do a few equations or learn a few definitions. A good teacher inspires and to inspire one must exude passion and leadership. That is something no one can teach or grade. You don’t even need to inspire someone about the subject that you teach, although that’s the more common effect. Would you say my calculus teacher was a good calculus teacher because he made calculus simpler to understand or because he made me like math and made me want to do more math? That’s the difference between educating and inspiration. Its not the greatest inspiration, it doesn’t provide new insights about life and while it could, it doens’t have to. The point is that it has to do with having an impact on your student. Grades and equations don’t make a person. Purpose makes a person. To inspire someone is to give someone purpose and thus give them the power to move forward.

Hey, we agree. I’ll be damned…