Go see spiderman 3

I nearly snorted my soda when Stan Lee popped out of freaking nowhere. :hahaha; That was cool. I was a little disappointed that nobody around me seemed to notice, though. :confused: And Bruce Campbell was awesome, since he’s the man. :smiley:

Originally Posted by Trillian
I nearly snorted my soda when Stan Lee popped out of freaking nowhere. :hahaha;

One of the main reasons I went to see the movie was to see if I could spot his cameo. I was surprised that he actually got a talkie this time around instead of the usual pulling someone out from underneath falling rubble. Watching Campbell’s scene gave me flashbacks of The Pink Panther Strikes Again. Peter Picard lol.

The only problems I saw in the movie were the number of villians (if Venom returns, which has been hinted at, you can see something slipping out through the floor at the end of the fight), and Harry’s cheesy death scene which just screams write out. As for the rest of the complaints concerning the movie, has anyone seen Spiderman 2 lately? I recall an amount of drag in that movie too, and Evil Pete wasn’t there to save the day either.

Puh-LEESE. No Carnage. He’s nothing more than Venom on crack. I can’t get why people like that guy so much. ;_;

Anystuff, it was a nice movie. For the next I hope for Vulture or Electro. Or Humbug. Yeah, Humbug. He’s a master.

KexMex meet me on MSN.

A Carnage story wouldn’t work, 'cause he’d slaughter thousands and eventually the National Guard would be called in, which wouldn’t make for a very good movie. Although he is my favorite Spidey villain.

Having finally seen the movie, I can say that yes, the movie has several things that bothered me (take a seat, guys, this is gonna be long.) :stuck_out_tongue:

[SPOILER]1) Venom: The symbiote just happens to fall right next to where Peter and MJ were (and later just crawls into his bike) and they don’t notice?? Spider-Sense, anyone? (Granted, in the movie this power is more Matrix slow-mo than an actual alarm. Still, the coincidence is annoying. Not that I expected them to mention Secret Wars, but they could at least have it follow Spider-Man after a battle in a laboratory or something.) And how convenient was it that Parker just happened to try to take it off near a bell? (In the comics he already knew that sound was its weakness before he went to the church.) And Jones happens to be RIGHT BELOW just in time to get Venomized?? They could’ve had the thing crawl around a little more before finding him. Honestly, I wish they’d use its weakness to fire rather than to sound, it would’ve made more sense.

Speaking of Jones, while I liked his interpretation as a rival to Parker (he was a reporter, not a photographer, in the comics) did he REALLY think he’d get away with the fake Spider-Man pictures, much less that Parker would feel sorry for him (Venom suit influence or not)!? Heck, I can’t believe Jameson fell for them! Don’t they always check for such things in Major newspapers? Oh, and if Jones knew who Parker was why ask for Sandman’s help, or try to lure him to an (obvious!) trap? Did he lose his brains in the fusion? Yeesh.

1. Green Goblin II- How utterly convenient was it for Harry to get amnesia for half the movie!? If only they’d explained it better- that maybe this was the first time he took the serum and he developed a second personality like his father did, something like that. Oh, and did he HAVE to die? Just because he did in the comics doesn’t mean he had to here (or Gwen would be pushing up daisies too.)

2. Sandman-I never cared much for this character, but I’ll admit the movie made me care about him. I wish they’d let us know if his daughter lived or not. And yes, in the comics he just stumbled into a particle accelerator that turned him into Sand. Except… a particle accelerator involves SUBatomic particles, not sand, and they are ALWAYS sealed. Sounds like someone just took the name literally. Oh well. I also find the “the gun just went off” excuse too convenient. I expected better of Raimi. Anyway, in general I liked the character, but (despite the fun team up at the end) I wish they’d saved Sandman for a later movie. Venom and Harry were enough for this one; there were too many characters and not enough time for them.

3. I didn’t care much for the way Gwen was used. She just there just to make MJ jealous (I found it sligthly amusing that even she realized this in the movie itself.) In the comics she’s almost the living symbol of the innocence of the Silver Age of comics and her death unofficially marked the end of that era. They could’ve handled her better.

4. What the HELL happened to Peter and MJ? Both did quite a few retarded things in the movie. Peter giving the Upside-Down kiss to another woman without realizing it would hurt MJ (He could’ve just said, “I’d like to, but I already have someone in my life” without saying whom, y’know. ) And yeah, Badass Peter was laughable. Would Jameson really stand for that attitude!? And the thing in the bar- absurd from start to finish. (Btw, the symbiote increases aggresion, it doesn’t make you an a*hole unless you’re one already.) And worst of all- after finding out that Harry is the Goblin and that he wants to hurt Peter she PLAYS ALONG INSTEAD OF TELLING HIM??? And how long is she going to play the damsel in distress? At least she helped with the cinderblock. I’m just tired of seeing her in danger, they should’ve used Gwen instead.

OK, that’s the stuff I DIDN’T like. What did I like? Plenty, thankfully: The action, the SFX, several character moments (though Aunt May’s speech to Peter should’ve taken place before he tried to take off the black costume) humorous moments like the Restaurant mishap or Jameson buying the camera from the girl, and most of it Harry and Peter vs Venom and Sandman, though you’d think they’d trained as a team already looking them fight.)[/SPOILER]

All in all, I liked SM3, but not as much as I could’ve, they needed to edit out some stuff (like Sandman and the absurd coincidences) and to explain the rest of the stuff better.

Jones? Don’t you mean Brock, Wil?

I was a little dissappointed with the movie. What with Peter repeatedly getting blind-sided, I’m wondering if they just forgot about his spidey-sense completely. Then there’s his lack of common sense regarding just about everything that happened with Mary Jane. Also, Harry’s butler, he waits until nearly the end of the movie to till Harry that Norman Osbourne was reponsible for his own death. What the hell?

Yeah, I meant Brock, I confused him with another character named Brock Jones.

And I forgot the part with the Butler, too. Shouldn’t he have said something sooner?? Can you say last-minute plot device? Sheesh.

To some of your comments, Wil, I understood them as:

[SPOILER]1. Jonah believed the photographs because he wanted to. I mean, he’s been looking for-fucking-ever for pictures of Spiderman doing something bad, so when they come out, I doubt he’d check too closely. Plus, it’s not like the Daily Bugle is known for its journalistic integrity, really; I’m more surprised he printed the retraction rather than just pretended it was fact.

1. I think Brock wanted to humiliate Spiderman as Parker had humiliated him at the bugle, thus killing him publicly after he failed to save the girl he loved. That’s much meaner, really. The Venom suit has always represented selfishness, not evil, to me, and Eddie Brock was angry at Spiderman; he’d take it out with extreme cruelty because he has no empathy at all for others. Parker wasn’t as “evil” with the suit because he’s less inherently selfish; when totally self-consumed, he’s just kinda a dick.

2. I got the idea from the coincidences in the movie of a sentience to the symbiote that it looked for a new owner when its old owner was trying to regain control. There’s a sword like it somewhere in RA Salvatore’s books (it’s been too long since I read them for me to remember what it was called or where it was, but I swear there was one) that did this. This is probably more me exaplaining a plothole in my head than an intentionally movie decision, to be honest.

3. Sandman was in there to blatantly make Peter Parker into Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment, and turn Aunt May into Sonya. He’s essentially there because the dude Peter Parker already killed for killing his father is dead and Peter needs somebody else who he can decide deserves to die to show how he’s now nihilistic and self-absorbed with the Venom suit. Venom and Ayn Rand look similar for a reason. =P[/SPOILER]
    I totally agree about Gwen Stacy and overfilling, though.

It was a good movie, for a hollywood concoction. I went in with pretty loooow expectations so maybe that’s why I ended up likeing it. I agree with a lot of the people about how there was too much happening. But at the same time I think they handled it ok and the movie didn’t fall apart at any moment. Brock did have some buildup… I’m glad he was introduced so early in the movie. His character was always some brutish idiot who just wanted revenge. Why else would he turn into a beast like Venom? I’m disapointing in the casting choice… that 70’s show dork may have looked the part but his whiney voice really didn’t do it for me with Venom.

I like Arac’s recent batch of comments, and thought the movie was pretty good. I think considering how much was going on in the film, Raimi pulled most of it off. It should be noted that he never wanted Venom in this movie (he’s a ridiculous character and Raimi knows that), but I think he did as good a job as he could’ve. And Brock’s motives make perfect sense in this movie, he’s a selfish jerk and Parker ruined his life and almost stole his girl.

The movies are marked by a more-than-healthy dose of '50s B-movieness, after all we all know where Raimi/Campbell started their careers. I think the purposeful camp works very well in these films (and I don’t like camp), and that’s why there are certain scenes (like the goo going on Peter’s bike when they’re at Makeout Point or whatever, or all the barely-plausible tech stuff). I mean, the Spider-Man story is the perfect culmination of 1950s/1960s idealism and fantasy, and I think Raimi really captures what an “old timey” comic book world would look like in a modern setting, absent the deep embedded cynicism and with a decent amount of character exploration.

I also like how “dark Peter” is just someone who makes a girl bake lots of cookies for him. I laughed a lot there.

I just got back from it, it was better than the reviews made it out to be. The emotions and relationships were handled well despite the numerous plots and characters. The action was superb - one of the best things about the Spiderman movies is that they don’t overdo any one action scene.

I actually thought ‘dark Peter’ was convincing(maybe all those reviewers have become too hip). And I loved the New Goblin - especially the end when him and Spiderman teamed up.

The main bad part was that they should have gotten rid of either Venom or the Sandman. Venom was practically an afterthought, and most of his scenes his mask was off to boot. I thought Venom was the cooler villain, but the director seemed to have his hear more in the Sandman(the end where Peter forgives him was pretty hokey).

The plot was way too condensed, and it was inevitable that some things would have ended up being altered, but it wasn’t bad.

P.S.: Harry is a Grey Fox wannabe.