George Carlin is dead :(

I can only think of Highlanders when the term quickening is brought up.

I wondered how many posts it would take for someone to mention Highlander. The answer was one.

Today, I ran into the city and shouted the seven words you can’t say on tv.

Also, does this mean Carlin is now " living-impaired"?

I would say he’s retired from Florida.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Now there are two.

Gee, it’s like the series all over again.

Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan
[i]
Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Now there are two.

Gee, it’s like the series all over again.[/i][/QUOTE]

Actually, the series is set in alternate universes from the original movie. That’s how there can be so many. :enguard:

Also R.I.P. Mr. Carlin. I hardly familiarized myself with your acquaintance.

There’s no shame attached to the word cripple I can find in any dictionary. In fact it’s a word used in Bible translations. “Jesus healed the cripples.” Doesn’t take seven words to describe that condition. But we don’t have cripples in this country anymore. We have the physically challenged. Is that a grotesque enough evasion for you? How about differently-abled? I’ve heard them called that. Differently-abled! You can’t even call these people handicapped anymore.
With all the respect and admiration that I have for George Carlin, there is no way that I’ll use the archaic and disparaging term “cripple” to describe a person with certain physical disabilities. I want to be politically correct to the max, in this case. After participating in the annual MS Walk fundraiser recently, I am “slightly” sensitive whenever those “crippling” matters are brought up.
But I would enjoy blasting anyone using that term with Carlin’s famous seven words and their derivatives.
RIP George.

Euphimism is hardly a new thing. The ancient Jews (at least two thousand years ago, probably more) used something called “lashon sagi nahor”, which means “language of the one with much light”, which essentially means calling something the opposite of what it was. They used to refer to a blind person as “one with much light”. Pigs were “something other” or “that thing”. If referring to something bad happening to oneself, they’d use third person (as if referring to someone else) or “my enemies”. Language has power, and avoiding bad language is an innate urge. Giving something a name gives it life and power and calls attention to it. And, often, it’s just plain impolite. :sunglasses:

It’s also how irony and sarcasm came about, by the way.

Perhaps the Bible doesn’t use the word “cripple” in a bad way, but generations of schoolchildren have. Phasing it out of the language is just a ham-fisted attempt at not exacerbating the trauma many of these people have already had to encounter as children. It’s the same reason odious words like “faggot” have been replaced.