Gaming as an educationational supplement

The idea sort of popped in to my head today after watching <u>Carrie</u> in my english class, and thinking about how movies could be analyzed to show symbolism and metaphore and stuff like that. But does anyone think that when gaming gets more main stream it could possibly be used to help educate? I’m not really talking crappy games like Math Blaster and stuff that just have you answer questions, but like maybe if a survival horror game came with your history book and the puzzles were based on the information presented in the book. Or maybe a RPG with your math book where you would have to set your own damage algorythms and have to set them up well to be able to complete the game. Maybe even a teacher could get a game with a deeper story and play it as students analyze how the characters interact and that kind of stuff for a creative writing class. Just some thoughts, but I think it would be pretty cool if that ever happened.

I had an idea of that sort. The only one I really thought of though was an RTS were prior to the mission/battle, you were asked a series of questions (doesnt matter what topic) and were awarded resources with which to build units for each question answered right, and even could have the teacher correct essays, and if good enough, grant a student access to build some special unit.

The way in which said RTS would play out beyond that I never thought through.

<div align=“center”>Fucking Camping Faggots
by Timmy</div>

That’s a pretty cool idea, though it’s hard to see it happening. (starts dreaming)

:kissy: (Teacher): OK class, your assignment is to finish FFVIII.

:cool: (Student): Aw…

:kissy: (Teacher): Also, when you’re finished with FFVIII, begin FFIX and get up to the Evil Forest.

:victoly: (Student 2): Whoo hoo!

I don’t believe he meant it like that…

I would so love school… I think it would at least have some use in English, I don’t know about math, but in Social studies, you could re-enact history, see how things would be different if certian stuff happened, and in Science do experiments kinda, not really sure there either.

There was a letter in an old issue of Nintendo Power, where a teacher wrote in with an interesting story. Now, I’m not certain what the subject was that he was covering, but I do remember that for the lessons, he brought in an SNES with a TV, and the class went through FF6. They discussed the character’s relationships, the many themes of the game, and lots of other neat stuff. Maybe they even did a bit of math, trying to determine how damage was dealt out and things like that.

Also, my little brother’s teacher brought in an SNES and SimCity to teach the kids about urban planning.

I play videogames in school anyways :smiley:

“Completing” Tetris should be made compulsory to all school-children. That’ll teach them more than any so called education will.

The idea sounds pretty cool, but the odds that it’d happen for around 20 years yet are slim. However I would love to see Xenogears be used in a religious education class.

Originally posted by pyramid_of_yamatos
[b]That’s a pretty cool idea, though it’s hard to see it happening. (starts dreaming)

:kissy: (Teacher): OK class, your assignment is to finish FFVIII.

:cool: (Student): Aw…

:kissy: (Teacher): Also, when you’re finished with FFVIII, begin FFIX and get up to the Evil Forest.

:victoly: (Student 2): Whoo hoo! [/b]

You have quite the sig.

Originally posted by Alyx
I would so love school… I think it would at least have some use in English, I don’t know about math, but in Social studies, you could re-enact history, see how things would be different if certian stuff happened, and in Science do experiments kinda, not really sure there either.

Dude, how can you not associate RPG’s with math.

Determine your HP increase/decrease, deal out trial and error, hit ratios, damage percentages and on and on.

My Grade 10 English Class, the teacher was a bigtime gamer, and roughly 4/5 of the students were to. So he had us write a complete story for the plot of our favourite games, as well as an extended ending. And for those that weren’t gamers, he wrote the plot in point form for them. I actually managed to fail because I interpretted Xenogears so wrong at the time.

I think gaming would best suit computer classes, and how you can make your own games. (I took one semester of C++ and now I’ve got a simple RPG program that I keep adding to, and I look at many programs and games thinking “how could I do this in C++?”)

Other than that, I agree with many of the ideas given here. However, I think for any situation (except, maybe programming, and even then only maybe) the person trying to learn from the studies could just get sucked into the game and lose focus on all studies related to the game.

Well, if it played like my RTS idea posted above, then they wouldn’t get very far if they lost focus on the educational parts.

“What is a mol?”

“a unit of measurement, 6.022x10^23” (or something like that)

“Correct! Have 1000 units of metal and 500 units of power crystals!”

“Now I can build that battleship! Hey, <insert another students name here>, your’ going down!”

Student 2: “Dammit, I’ll need to answer a real toughy to get the resources to combat that battleship…”

etc etc, the idea is that the studies actually are a part of the gameplay. At least mine.

I wrote a paper once involving some FFVII characters for english.

I think that if teachers did involve games, school would be so much more fun.