GameSpy's 25 most UNDERrated games

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/index.shtml

So many people were bitching about the “Overated games” article, I wonder how they will feel about this one =)

link doesn’t load.

Hmm loads for me and i just tested it on two computers (One not cached)

Gamespy tends to be a trouble loader.

And since when are Gamespy’s opinions relevant? It’s like PA said: They’re either retard or assholes, or probably both, and no one cares which. God, these people gave Empire Earth PC GotY.

That list sucks. It’s full of games that are really just unknown, not underrated. The highest profile game (and I do not define Sukoden II as high profile outside of RPG circles) I see on it is Um Jammer Lammy, and whilt it could indeed be the best of that hellhole of a genre, that’s not saying much. And city building games? They were just unknowns also. Being unknown doesn’t mean it’s underrated.

Where’s StarTropics? I mean, that game was well known. It was advertised on TV and all, but didn’t do near as well as it should of. It’s one of the best games of all time.

Well that’s part of their reasoning as why it’s underrated; if no one knew it existed.

And I dunno about Suik2. Frankly I’m sick of hearing the god damned name (esp. since it’s confusing to spell, I always typed Sudioken before I actually looked at it as I never heard it pronounced) here AND in real life.

Being unknown isn’t a part of being underrated. We’ll use Suiko 2 as an example again. It’s relatively unknown outside of RPG circles, but in those RPG circles, those that have played it seem to absolutely love it. That’s not being underrated. A better example of an underrated game would probably be something like FfF8. It’s generally hated by most people as being the worst FF/not FF7 (for those not in the RPG circle). Some go so far as to rate it as the worst RPG ever, a title which it does not deserve. Despite all the criticisms and hatred and whatnot, there is still some good stuff to it that makes it better than a hell of alot of RPGs. That’s a better example of underrated.

Where’s StarTropics? I mean, that game was well known. It was advertised on TV and all, but didn’t do near as well as it should of. It’s one of the best games of all time.

I wouldnt talk about what games AREN’t on the list yet considering they are only on number 16 =)

They’re only at 16 right now

*psychic prediction

FFVIII is going to be number one (obvious reasons)
Pokémon may be in the top 10 (It’s regarded as a kiddie game, but it’s friggin hard)

I agree with Suikoden III. X, you can try to grammer check me to death but I’ve alway spelled it right :mwahaha: . It was, IMO, the best game in the series so far. I’m so looking forward to Suikoden IV. It just didn’t have enough hype to it (as the past games haven’t either) Either way, I’ll still like the series.

Let’s see. So far…

Ceasar II- God that was a fun game. I loved it more then the third. Although Ceasar III lets you interact with gods (Alogn with Pharoh and Zeus, same style of game, defferent eras), mainly because I suppose, the fact that you had two maps (strangely enough, I loved tihs idea), one for the main city, and another for the country side. The military aspect gave it an RTS feel, but I sucked at it, better to let my bro do it. I highly suggest that if anyone gets a shot to play it, go and do so.

Jumping Flash- Man I’ve always wanted to play this.

That’s abuot ti. the rest really haavent gotten much notice from me.

Bah, they dont even have Anachronox in there.

But Blood did kick serious ass, and so did Blood 2 sometimes I wish I had 98 back so I could run Blood 2, stupid Win 2k.

Blood was cool, but they forgot to mention one factor: the price. The damn game was, like, $80 when it came out! That’s a BIG reason why it failed, as well as the outdated graphics and system.

And if a game is underrated, it tends to get forgotten quickly. That’s why a lot of these games are very unknown. And just because one circle knows about a game doesn’t mean the other nine hundred do, so it can be well-known in one group and totally unknown in another. And we have names for those groups:

Cults.

And if a game is underrated, it tends to get forgotten quickly. That’s why a lot of these games are very unknown. And just because one circle knows about a game doesn’t mean the other nine hundred do, so it can be well-known in one group and totally unknown in another. And we have names for those groups:

Cults.

Same thing happens with many movies. Hence the term “Cult Classic” =)

GameSpy’s opinions have never exactly been credible. Suikoden II? Since when is that underrated? Most gamers I know love it.

Underrated doesnt mean bad at all. It means that it is a great game that went by generally unnoticed by the majority of the community for whatever reason (Bad marketing, not enough prints, etc…)

Suikoden II falls into that category. Most gamers have never even heard of it much less played it.

I only know about one of those, and that one did well in Norway.

They should have put Sid Meier’s Gettysburg on that list.

They might still =)