Gameboy Advance SP R BUTTON WHAT THE HELL

I’ve been playing Tales of Phantasia on the GBA a lot lately, and I’ve noticed that the R button is not as responsive as it used to be. I noticed this because there is an item called the sorcerer’s ring, and if you have it equiped, you can shoot fire with the R button.

I talked to a friend of mine about it and he said it happened to his too and that it’s a common problem. I guess I’m skeptical so I’m wondering if anyone else here has had this problem? Is it fixable? Am I stuck with it forever and ever? It’s pretty annoying, but still very managable. Just curious if I can get it fixed.

I remember that my R button had a problem once actually. It wasn’t too long after I bought it and it resolved itself automically. I know this doesn’t help much, but its a possibility the same’ll happen to you.

Do a barrel roll!
Oh, wait, you can’t.

I play my games on the emulators, though, so I can’t help much, other than to say it’s not a game-based thing, since my R-key never stops working, so it’s a physical thing. Maybe something got stuck in there? Oils from fingers made it stick down or something like that?

I know it’s a mechanical problem. That would be ridiculous if it was a game problem… It still works; the only problem is that it seems as if the console decides when the button works or not…!

And I hope it will go away soon, if that’s what happened before. Unfortunately I have had mine for well over a year and a half, I’m willing to bet any warranty I had on that sucker is gone by now.

I’ve had my SP for like 4 years, if not longer. Until I got my hands on a DS I played it on a regular basis, no problems with the R button whatsoever.

Never had a problem with the R Button on mine, and I played my GBA a lot for over 2 years, until I got a DS.

Though I’ve had the L and R Buttons on my SNES controller stick on my pad when I was little (not sure if I still have the same pad. Probably eventually broke it in a childhood squabble with my sister.). Though I only had to push hard like once each game, and they seemed to work fine afterwards.

Same thign happened to my SNES controller…then my N64 controller…now I just use emulators…

Are their options to changing the buttons? so its more easier?