Gainax hits new low in Eva merchandising. Creepy otaku everywhere cheer.

Was this unexpected?
Eve is meh.

If you think Eva looks bad you’re just wrong.
Yes.

It was made by Anno Hideaki, one of Miyazaki’s first animators. Miyazaki’s Studio Ghibli is the pinnacle of animation. Period. The delirious think otherwise.

Eva has higher quality and framerate than almost any other show mentioned in this thread by leaps and bounds. Its animation makes astroglide abrasive. That Gainax could create something like Eva almost ten years ago is mind-blowing.

Whereas Gundam was made to sell toys, and only kindasorta blossomed as an afterthought. Comparing it to Eva is comparing a Volvo to a Porsche.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Gundam. But fuck, know your hierarchy.

People act like EVangelion is so groundbreaking. It isn’t. A few shows ripped off it, but that’s all

Gundam is the show that broke new grounds. It’s perhaps the first anime show that didn’t have good vs evil, but conflicts instead

People act like Eva is so deep, but it just pretends to be that way. Gundam might not exactly be deep in that kind of way, but it’s huge, with tons of universes and timelines

“Whereas Gundam was made to sell toys, and only kindasorta blossomed as an afterthought. Comparing it to Eva is comparing a Volvo to a Porsche.”

It bugs the shit out of me when people say that. Tomino didn’t make Gundam to sell toys, he just wrote it, and some toy companies cached in off it. Eva has a lot of toys, so the same thing must have happened too

I also hate it when people say “I like Evangelion more because gundam is just about robots.” Gundam isn’t about robots, it’s about war

Tomino Yoshiyuki said himself that Gundam was initially created to market toy robots of the same name. “Wrong About Japan” by Peter Carey is a nice little documentary about his son’s trip to Japan, in which they both interviewed Tomino and obtained this information explicitly.

Gundam didn’t break any new grounds, unless we’re talking about the slashfic industry.

Eva is deep, for a 26 episode japanese cartoon. It explores topics and problems that face young boys today, and does a very good job of it.

Whereas Gundam’s plot is “How do we achieve peace?” every eight seconds.

I also hate it when people say “I like Evangelion more because gundam is just about robots.” Gundam isn’t about robots, it’s about war
How rugged of you to like war.

I’d like to note that when it comes to anything on television or in movies, the framerate is always the same for all of them.
If I’m right, Japan is NTSC, which is 29.97-30 (basically the same) as is the US. Just thought I’d interject that.

Carry on, this argument looks to be a legend in the making.

“How rugged of you to like war.”

I never said I liked war. IT does make for some good anime and game plots, though

“Whereas Gundam’s plot is “How do we achieve peace?” every eight seconds.”

Bull shit. That’s just gundam wing

“Eva is deep, for a 26 episode japanese cartoon. It explores topics and problems that face young boys today, and does a very good job of it.”

All eva is about this horny teenager. One time this guy said Eva is like Gundam or Macross except a lot more mature. That’s not true, because Eva is just about a bunch of 14 year olds that affect the fate of existence, the kaballah, and lilluptian hitcher

Gundam is about so much more than some stupid, horny teenager

I also heard that a lot of 14 year olds are introspective. That’s pretty dumb, because they’re not eva characters, and they’re not nerarly as troubled

And what the hell is a slashfic? I found http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Slashfic but I dont’ think that’s the context of what you’re talking about

I’m not too suprized with this new Eva merchandising. They have already come up with figurines such as “the eva girls in china dresses” or “the eva girls in those red chrismas dresses with the fur on the borders” and stuff like that. Eva evil robots becoming hot females may be weird, but the stuff in this link is just creepy: Oh, my

I don’t see what’s so creepy about it

They’re 12

If by a few shows you mean half the current shows with a plot more complex than ‘good vs evil’. Evangelion was the first ever robot show to have a plot as complex and deep as it did, even if it was by accident.

NO. No no no no no. I can list half a dozen series off the top of my head that did what Gundam did before Gundam did it. Gundam was revolutionary because it pioneered the concept of robots as actual tools in a war, and not the then-standard DEFENDERS OF BURNING JUSTICE. It created the ‘Real’ genre. That is why it is a classic.

And half of them are shit. Cosmic Era is fast becoming worthless with the addition of Destiny, Alternate Era was a one-shot series and wherever G Gundam was set was a one-off parody of the Super Robot genre. There is only one real Gundam timeline and that is Universal Century, and it has maybe thirty characters of any importance over the series of five series/OVAs, and at least half of them are never developed upon.

The original Gundam was developed as a real story yes (and a fantastic story at that, there’s no doubt) but take a look at the Gundam series released in the last six years or so, with SEED and Destiny at the top of the list. All of them are for introducing toys. Hell, Deaaka defected in SEED because the Buster Gundam wasn’t selling well enough as a bad guy. Gundam has been directly influenced by the toy market to the stage that the new series are swamped with mecha designs that change a single colour so that Bandai can release it as a model kit. Eva could have financed a million sequels with what they’ve made from the original and people would have bought every model. Bandai are using Gundam sequels as an ongoing tool to make money, whereas Gainax left Eva alone.

Yes, I agree, Gundam was originally about war. But watch SEED and Destiny and see how this message has been lost bar a couple of speeches from the current Wise Female Main Pacifist Character at the end of the series.

It’s typical horny teenager toys, as opposed to sex toys

Agreed.

“Whereas Gundam’s plot is “How do we achieve peace?” every eight seconds.”

Bull shit. That’s just gundam wing

And Gundam SEED. And Gundam SEED Destiny. And Gundam X. And Zeta Gundam. And ZZ Gundam.

“Eva is deep, for a 26 episode japanese cartoon. It explores topics and problems that face young boys today, and does a very good job of it.”

All eva is about this horny teenager. One time this guy said Eva is like Gundam or Macross except a lot more mature. That’s not true, because Eva is just about a bunch of 14 year olds that affect the fate of existence, the kaballah, and lilluptian hitcher.

Were we even watching the same program? Eva is at it’s core about how three teenagers and their guardians deal with saving the world, how they come to grips with this, and what happens to them. Hell, even the three main characters themselves are huge Freudian metaphors (Id, Ego, Superego).

Gundam is about so much more than some stupid, horny teenager

I agree, it’s not about horny teenagers, it’s about ANGSTY teenagers, which is a million fucking times worse because they’re all exactly the same character. I DON’T WANT TO PILOT BECAUSE I MAY DIE > I DON’T WANT TO PILOT BECAUSE WAR SUCKS > WELL OK GUESS I’D BETTER PILOT IT > I DON’T LIKE DOING IT THOUGH. The ORIGINAL GUNDAM SERIES had Amuro not wanting to pilot the Gundam and going on angsty temper-tantrums at least three times before we even got halfway into the show.

I also heard that a lot of 14 year olds are introspective. That’s pretty dumb, because they’re not eva characters, and they’re not nerarly as troubled.

I can’t even think of how to reply to this one. Why don’t you go look up soem statistics or something about depression and mood swings in teenagers if you think all fourteen year-olds are happy bouncing budles of extroversion.

And what the hell is a slashfic? I found http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Slashfic but I dont’ think that’s the context of what you’re talking about

A story based around two male characters of [Series] getting together. They’re all worthless.

No.

Watch any cartoon and tell me it’s as smooth as film. It may be adapted to play at 30fps, but it sure as hell wasn’t animated at 30fps. There’s a lot of duplication going on. Rent any DVD and do a frame by frame if you need proof.

Or, just consider this: 30 cels. Per second. Yeah, no.

Basara: Slashfics are homosexual fanfics, usually males, and usually written by young girls.

Thank you Pierson. Really. The only reason I ever liked Heero was that, despite the angst, he just shut the fuck up about it and did his job as opposed to the other 99% pilot brats.

Have you already forgotten what’s on your sig? He doesn’t seem to care.

And usually devoid of any sort of literary talent, plot, sense or proper characterization.

Wait what? They’re figurines of 12 year old girls in bikinis, and they are going for 50 dollars a set! That’s a little creepy, don’t you think?

Turn A Gundam and G Gundam didn’t have angsty main characters >_>

And I thought it was okay for Shinji and Amuro (maybe even Kamille) to be angsty. Amuro has to be pilot the gundam to protect a ship he doesn’t care for, atleast at the beginning, no one in the crew likes him except Fraw, his dad went insane, and his mom hates him for being a soldier.

Although Kira from Seed just pisses me off.

Fanfics in general, my friend.

True, true.

“Were we even watching the same program? Eva is at it’s core about how three teenagers and their guardians deal with saving the world, how they come to grips with this, and what happens to them. Hell, even the three main characters themselves are huge Freudian metaphors (Id, Ego, Superego).”

It’s about saving the world. Gundam isn’t

“Wait what? They’re figurines of 12 year old girls in bikinis, and they are going for 50 dollars a set! That’s a little creepy, don’t you think?”

Yeah. Well, they’re kinda like junior sex toys. Those anime girls blankets are the same thing

I dont think the new Eva merchandising is creepy, though, the girls look mature enough. At least their bodies

And Gundam Seed would have been a lot better if Kira and ARhtrun were gay

I love your consistency.

Eva is, at it’s core, about exploring different dilemmas present in people’s life. The whole Angel/Impact/Evangelion plot is merely a visual setup for this. Most people miss this fact because, well, it’s a pretty awesome setup and would have made a great series if Anno had ever planned to take that side of the story seriously. Hence my favoritism for the manga.