Funeral Songs

What song(s) would you want played at your funeral? Reasons would be cool, but unnecessary.

There are a whole bunch of songs at mine, but the only two absolute necessities are:
“If I Should Fall From Grace with God” by the Pogues and “London Calling” by the Clash. Because I want to be laid in the grave as Joe Strummer issues plaintive deathbird calls and the classic apocalyptic lines (I have no fear, 'cos London is drowning and I live by the River) are sung.
Also, London Calling needs to be played far louder than it should be, and if I’m married or such, I’d like “Fairytale of New York” instead of “If I Should Fall from Grace with God,” I think.

I don’t really care much for a funeral. In fact, I don’t even care what they do with my body… I’ve been thinking of donating my organs and having the rest cremated. My only wish is for my loved ones to get over the grief of my loss as soon as they can. But, I suppose they’ll feel the need the pay their respects to me… I’m planning to leave a taped message for them, with my final goodbyes for each. Most people just die and someone else has to do that for them. But this is the 21st century, Bay-bee, we got technology for such things now! The only thing I would really like after my burial would de a nice plaque telling my life’s story, so my descendants can know about me. As for music, well, if it were up to me, they’d be playing “Santa Esmeralda” at the funeral; it’s not only one of my favorite songs, but the lyric, “Please don’t let me be misunderstood” captures much of my feelings about my life. I don’t think my family would agree with the rock’n’roll riff at the funeral, tough. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going straight to the oven. I took that decision after sitting trough both of my grandfathers’ and my own father’s funeral and agreeing with basically everyone I’m close with that they are unnecessary rituals that just prolong something that should be done as quick as humanly possible. I understand why others might consider it necessary, but I simply don’t.

So I’m taking suggestions, what’s the best song for getting burnt to ashes?

I would really say anything by the and In Flames, but some might consider such a choice tasteless.

I’m donating my body to science.Most likely gene splicing…IF it hasn’t already been perfected.If it has I’ll have my body cremated and have my ashes spread over a cat and a computer hehe…I like cats…

“Horrified” by Repulsion. Zombie songs are fitting.

Reign in Blood by Slayer. That would be awesome.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Komm, Süsser Tod
Yuusha-Oh Tanjou -Piano Solo Version-
Cowboy Bebop - See You Space Cowboy
Cowboy Bebop - Blue

Possibly Final Fantasy X - Suteki da Ne. Haven’t decided yet.

The reasons for all of the above should be obvious to anyone familiar with the source material.

Yes, but what song would you want playing while this happened?

Amazing Grace. On bagpipes. Except that’s not really a funeral song, is it?

The whole album?

Infected Mushroom - Spiritual Trance

Sweet Home Alabama? promptly gets shot

I think I’d like to have Chopin’s Nocturne #2 in E flat major, op.9 #2 and Liszt’s Nocturne #3 Liebestraum playing at my funeral. They’re both contemplative, etheral, and express farewell without need for words.
And the music should be soft so that anyone who’s still hung over from the wake won’t be in complete agony. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m surprised noone chose Chopin’s Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 35 (aka “Funeral March”). It’s basic pro is that it isn’t too downcast.

As for me, come ask me when I die.

Dr Reanimator: Move your dead bones.

It’s fun to go out with a bang. And come back with a cough and a slouch.

Lizzt is my favourite classical composer, a fine choice.

Here’s a true funeral anecdote I thought I’d share with you people:

One of Puerto Rico’s greatests comedians was Mr. Jose Miguel Agrelot, a man greatly beloved not just for his wit, but for his closeness to the people and his work for charity causes. According to him, one of his best friends asked him to tell jokes at his funeral; he didn’t want people to be sad during it. Agrelot was baffled, but he agreed to his friend’s request.

Eventually, his friend did die, and Agrelot showed up at the funeral. First he explained what he was going to do and why, and apologized to anyone who might find it offensive. Then he turned toward the corpse and began lambasting it, with lines such as, “So, you finally found a way to avoid paying your debt to me, huh?” By the end of his performance, he had everyone, even the widow, laughing!

Man, I would love it if my funeral went like that! Mr. Agrelot has passed away now; I hope someone told some jokes at HIS funeral. :slight_smile:

Candlebox - Far Behind.

Arac’s Tutti Frutti ramblings gave me the idea.

Cool story, Wil

Yeah, you know, come tothink of it, I would want some Specials or Aggrolites or somethign at my funeral. Just everybody get up and start skanking (dance, not sex, although that would also be acceptable) in the middle of my eulogy. Because I don’t know anybody funny enough to tell jokes at my funeral, really. Also, skanking, unlike laughter, leads to the possibility that those people I do not like who show up anyway will be legbruised all to hell.