Fun Facts Thread!

http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/tech109mclaren.htm

Ground effects enhances the efficiency of a wing because the air under the wing is accelerated by interaction with the ground. I’ve used the example of air flowing past an open window to illustrate how a fluid speeds up and loses static pressure as it gains dynamic pressure. The underside of the racecar drags the air up to speed, creating lower pressure under the car.

The result is phenomenal. Without ground effects, a good racecar, say a Swift DB-1 Formula Ford, can generate 1.2 to 1.4 Gs of cornering force. An object dropped from some height above ground accelerates at 1 G–one unit of gravity. In 1993, Formula 1 cars routinely generated 4 Gs in medium speed (100-120 mph) corners. Downforce is the reason for the high cornering speeds. Ground effects is a big part of the story.

If a car runs at 120 MPH top-side-down on the ceiling of a tunnel, there’ll be a 4G force pushing it up and a 1G force (called weight and caused by gravity) pulling it down. Since 4 > 1, the car’s downforce wins. The fact that the downforce is poiting up is merely a point-of-view detail.

In fact, the pilot of this car will pretty much be smashed if he keeps going like that for too long. Humans can withstand higher G forces, astronauts usually go above 8G’s… But that’s for short periods. The safe G limit for continuous exposure is about 2.5, above that being exposed for too long may cause you heart and brain damage, plus there’ll already be a lot of strain on the longer bones.

/me admits defeat.

That’s one more thing on my list of things to do before I die.

Every time you don’t masturbate, God kills a fetus.

People actually like Kingdom Hearts!

Oh god.

Corn, actually thinks he is funny.

Anyway,

FACT: A duck’s quack doesn’t echo.
FACT: Approximately 70% of the Earth is covered with water, out of which only 1% is drinkable.

Corn, actually thinks he is funny.

I wasn’t trying to be funny. =/

When motor oil and bleech is mixed together… the reaction is dangerous.

And momma won’t let me try it… ;_;

So is mixing bleach & detergant… I’m too scared to try it; it emits a gas, when inhaled, mixes with the liquid in your body, and makes an acidic substance, which melts your organs from inside. D:

grins

Cookies have consumed my soul. :smiley:

Why do I have the sudden thought of the average death toll for the world will increase shortly? :stuck_out_tongue:

Who me? nah… Chris-chris would never wanna blow the world up. :smiley: She’d blow her house up and then have fun with fire though

If you microwave water and put cocoa mix into it without stirring it with a spoon first it overflows all over your hand and causes pain.

You suck, why do you suck so much?

WRONG.

Every sound that hits a reflective surface bounces. I don’t know why it’s commonly mistaken that a duck’s quack doesn’t.

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_world/duck/duck.htm
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.htm

A scientist once wanted to test how people instantly accept something as true if it looks like it was said by a scientist. So she sent an email to a lot of people containing a lot of things she invented out of the blue (i.e.: the famous statistic that people in average swallow 8 arthropods during sleep in a lifetime). One thing she invented is that quacks don’t echo.

Fact: In Star Trek: First Contact, there is a class of starship fighting the Borg in the intro called the Norway class. It has about 1-1.5 seconds of screen time, and can barely be seen. After that scene was completed, a computer glitch accidentally erased the wireframe model for the class. No Norway class ship has ever been seen again.

It’s actually bleach and ammonia. So if you have detergent that has ammonia in it, don’t mix it with bleach or else deadly chlorine gas is formed.

Also, breathing through a pee-covered rag will save you in a chlorine gas attack. The urine reacts with the chlorine particles causing them to crystalize as they cross the barrier.

Vinegar dissolves pearls, allowing people to drink them.

(Or so a legend about Cleopatra goes. Anybody can refute/confirm?)

Doesn’t most detergant have ammonia in it?

Fun Fact: You can make semen in a lab, and it has all the properties of normal semen. Although I’m not sure if it can cause pregnancy.